IGNORED

A#3 FANCY LABEL CLUB!

jahfish

WELCOME TO THE THIRD EDITION OF THE FANCY LABEL CLUB!

In the fall of 1998 a wonderful idea was born in RGVC thanks to Chris Cracknal to create new labels for obnoxiusly common Atari carts that we have stacks of. The A#1 fancy label club was born..

The A#2 Fancy Label Club then started in 2001 on AtariAge, to give collectors something to do with their extra common Atari 2600 cartridges. Following in the footsteps of the A#1 club, a small group of 18 very talented individuals put together this fun group of NEW label variations for each of their collections.

After moving stuff around in my storage, i found the A#1 & A#2 sets and got back in touch with Scott Lindberg. And after a few posts there was a strong demand for an A#3 FLC on the boards here. So here we go:

Atari Fancy Label club guidelines

Each person designs a new Atari 2600 label for any common Atari cart, prints 20 copies and mails the label to each member in the group..in the end each member has 20 unique labels for their collection.. You can create your new label anyway you see fit ..draw, color, paint, paste, copy, cut, swipe, or steal. then make 20 copies of your unique vision...

Upon completion of the label, that person will make 20 copies of his unique label and mail out one to everyone on the list. Each member then gets 20 great labels for his collection mailed to his adress. i will collect all the mailing adresses and send a PDF to everyone.

Any person who was in the First Atari label clubs and completed a label is automatically grandfathered into this club if he wishes to

participate. So technically if 20 people have already been enlisted and one original club member wants in there will be 21 members.

Not all of the original 20 members completed their obligations, so i propose that we wait and mail out labels to only those that say they are done and ready to ship or at a predetermined time. this is request only and you can mail out whenever you desire .

You can pick any label you want to make but not one already chosen by another club member..and it should be considered a common label. The sooner you choose the better your choice.

We also do not allow simple cut & paste jobs with the labelmaker 2600 ... no 5 minute jobs where only a picture as been downloaded and then pasted inside the label maker. It is about creating unique labels, not doing something anyone else could do in the same 5 minutes.

Be aware that although participating is free, you will have spend some cash for:

- buying adhesive paper/foil for injet/laserprinter or pay for the production of it

- mailing out national and international letters

- possibly buy up to 20 carts if you want to stick the labels onto the right cartridges

Timing:

2 weeks for registration.

4 weeks for the design and production.

please send a PM here on AA with your name and adress and username, as well as the title you choose and a brief description of your idea behind the new design (can be added later)

Additional Information:

feel free to ask any questions or to post links to places that would print/manufacture your labels, tips on how to remove the labels (i do it with zippo fluid that i light up for 20 seconds and then easily peel off the label in one take), or any other usefull information.

you can find some pics of the old FLC carts and the previous discussion here:

THE FLC team 2009:

01) Jah Fish: Space invaders

02) Wickeycolumbus: Jungle Hunt

03) nonner242: Berzerk

04) Fangorn81: Dig Dug

05) Neotokeo2001: Haunted House

06) yuppicide: Outlaw

07) wgungfu: River Raid

08) wgungfu: Dragster

09) wgungfu: Basic Math

10) CebusCapucinis: Miniature Golf

11) LonghornEngineer: Pitfall

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

19)

20)

Edited by jahfish
  • Like 1

I'm not sure Flash Gordon is what I would consider "common"...

that's true ... being in germany, it would roughly cost me 10-12 dollars to get one cart from the US.

some still haven't sent me their adress ... and i need everyone's email adress as well!

I have an Idea when these are all done..and ready to go out...can we (A#3 club)just all email to someone say me or who ever else wants to take them and then I can set up a page of all the labels for ppl to print them theirself via email. to save postage and any lost postage mail. Seem smart no one can say they didnt get the stuff and if they didnt I could email them again?

Just a thought.

I'm not sure Flash Gordon is what I would consider "common"...

that's true ... being in germany, it would roughly cost me 10-12 dollars to get one cart from the US.

some still haven't sent me their adress ... and i need everyone's email adress as well!

I will change my pick to something else. I will PM you later today.

I would rather do snail mail. I was planning on trying to figure out something different with my label that can't be done via email.

it will stay the way it has always been ... 20 people send their labels (via snail mail) to those in the club. there's no point in doing this if everyone can just download the label design and print it out ...

it is supposed to be a surprise for everyone and it is only half the fun if i already know what they will recieve, plus it would be a spoiler to know that other people (not in the FLC) already have the label/cart before i recieve my letter

those participating should keep the design secret.

once i recieved all my labels i will be taking professional photos (not scans) of all the cartridges and upload them onto my site and then post a link here. so people can have a look at it ...

also everyone should include "Fancy Label Club A#3" on the label and number their labels from 1 - 20 ... as it was previously done.

I would rather do snail mail. I was planning on trying to figure out something different with my label that can't be done via email.

it will stay the way it has always been ... 20 people send their labels (via snail mail) to those in the club. there's no point in doing this if everyone can just download the label design and print it out ...

it is supposed to be a surprise for everyone and it is only half the fun if i already know what they will recieve, plus it would be a spoiler to know that other people (not in the FLC) already have the label/cart before i recieve my letter

those participating should keep the design secret.

once i recieved all my labels i will be taking professional photos (not scans) of all the cartridges and upload them onto my site and then post a link here. so people can have a look at it ...

also everyone should include "Fancy Label Club A#3" on the label and number their labels from 1 - 20 ... as it was previously done.

I wasnt saying posting for everyone on the net. All entries will got to one person. That person would make a sheet available as a Jpeg to the other participating members to print themself...Nobody other than the A#3 club would get it and this will save everyone $20 or more on postage...more ppl might participate...and you can choose what to print..if you own the cart or not....save ink too...Mo lost mail....No hey did you mail it out....ppl will only receive the labels if they send theirs in.....no screw ups....If one person has a special label...thats on them and can ask for the other members to donate postage or take the postage them self. I think most will send a self addressed stamped envelope! Think Green! :D

i see your point .... but this "think green" stuff is so modern, and we're so oldskool! :D

i've actually kept all of the letters from FLC A#2 as well ... it's a nice documentation of the whole thing ...

maybe we can do that on the side (as safety in case one or two letters really dissapear), but still go the usual way. wasn't there some news a few days ago that USPS is in a crisis too? hey, let's help them ;)

i would also propose to let people register for another week or two, as it has been relatively quiet until now ...

Edited by jahfish

- The Emperor is coming here?!

- Yes Commander, and he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.

- We shall double our efforts!

- I hope so Commander, for your sake, the Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.

point of story: WE NEED MORE MEN!

I was going to start a new topic for my question, but a search brought up this thread...

Does anyone have a template for Parker Brothers labels? I have 9 carts without labels and I have always hated how the PB ones come off so easily. I was thinking maybe I would just amuse myself by making some custom, but because they are a weird shape and size and I am dumb with pixels and inches in Photoshop they are just not printing out correctly.

If I can get some help on this, I am willing to send some cool PB carts! I have a nice Tutankahm label already but it's just the wrong angle and size. I tried scanning one in and then working from that but I guess I just suck at this.

You can create your new label anyway you see fit ..draw, color, paint, paste, copy, cut, swipe, or steal. then make 20 copies of your unique vision...

~

We also do not allow simple cut & paste jobs with the labelmaker 2600 ... no 5 minute jobs where only a picture as been downloaded and then pasted inside the label maker. It is about creating unique labels, not doing something anyone else could do in the same 5 minutes.

Is it just me, or is this a bit of a contradiction? :ponder:

I found a Parker Brothers template on here somewhere. I am not sure if it prints at the actual dimensions, but it is pretty high res. You could play with it on some test paper first.

You should make a label for a PB game for the A#3 FLC!

Edited by Fangorn81