IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2015 Championship

DZ-Jay

AtariAge and that dude who made a game some time ago present...

Carol vs. The World!

2015 Championship

It is Christmas time once again and the fourth annual Carol vs. The World! Championship is upon us. Throughout the entire month of December, all boys and girls--naughty or nice--will have the opportunity not only to earn bragging rights, but to win actual prizes!

This year, in an effort to encourage novices and newcomers to play, we are changing things a bit. We will separate the veteran players in their own category, so that they will not compete with newer players for prizes. We hope that this will balance the contest better and make it more fair to newcomers.

There will be two categories: The regular players and the special "Elite Knight Elf" for veterans players, each with their own rankings and prizes. Veterans are those who have won awards or have submitted scores higher than 1,000 points in previous competitions. Please visit the Contest Rules and FAQ pages for more details on contest rankings.

cvw-2015-teaser.png

All that said, there are prizes for players of all skill levels, veterans and novices alike, and many other surprises! We encourage everyone to participate, submit their score, and join in the fun!

Once again, we've partnered with AtariAge to include some more great prizes! The Top Players on each rank will receive a $25.00 gift certificate for the AtariAge Store, and the Grand Prize winner will be awarded a $50.00 gift certificate. How's that for a stocking stuffer?

We've also changed the top prize! At stake this year is a custom-designed, one-of-a-kind Ultimate Video Arcade Marquee. Made with the same process and materials that classic arcade cabinets use, it will look just as great on your MAME cabinet or wall. Plus, the winner gets to help design his own Christmas Carol themed artwork!

marquee-sample.png

Like every year before, the championship starts at Midnight (EST) on December 1st, and goes all the way until Midnight (EST) on January 1st of the new year.

The rules are simple:

• Play the Christmas Carol game on your Intellivision® console or PC.
  • At the end of the game, record your final score by taking a photograph or screen-shot of the game screen. This will serve as proof of your score.
  • Announce your points to the judges by posting the image right here or sending it via e-mail to the judges at: <cvw@CarolVsGhost.com>. Be sure to include the name you want to have displayed on the leaderboard.
  • Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as you'd like, until the contest deadline of December 31st, 2015.

That's it! There's nothing to buy and no registration required. Whether you play the game cartridge on an Intellivision® console, or the ROM edition on a PC or Mac, it's all the same. Just send us a photo or screen-grab of your score and you're in!

We'll post all entries to the Official CvW Leaderboard as they come in, where they forever will remain immortalized on the Internet.

Will you save Christmas from the twiggy arms of the Evil Snowman? Is the Ghost Of Christmas Presents your friend or foe? Can you attain a Perfect Christmas?

Join us here in the official discussion thread of the CvW Championship!

Get Ready... Go!

Days Left: 1

Official Leaderboard

Current Ranking:

Top rankings generated on: 12/31/2015 10:19:46

Number  Display Name        Old High Score  New High Score  Level  Rank           Status     Consecutive Days
     1  grips03                     14,325          16,955    172  Grand Master   Veteran                   4
     2  pimpmaul69                   5,702          14,062    142  Grand Master   Veteran                  30
     3  Darrin9999                   4,904           7,674     78  Grand Master   Veteran                  31
     4  scalpel                      7,079           5,040     51  Master         Veteran                   1
     5  SiLic0ne t0aD85                  0           4,244     48  Ranger                                   1
     6  Opry99er                         0           3,828     47  Ranger                                   1
     7  JasonlikesINTV               4,036           3,596     38  Ranger         Veteran                   1
     8  Yeliz K.                     3,043           2,738     32  Helper         Veteran                   1
     9  stupus                       1,574           2,589     32  Helper                                   1
    10  TrekMD                       2,635           2,574     31  Helper         Veteran                   1
    11  Iwantgames:)                 1,898           2,073     24  Helper                                   1
    12  Wilson T. Oyama              2,933           1,810     20  Helper         Veteran                   1
    13  BurritoBeans                     0           1,807     23  Helper                                   9
    15  Saturn                           0           1,223     17  Helper                                   1
    14  Canonitis                    2,459           1,317     16  Novice         Veteran                   1
    16  Nour K.                      1,044           1,081     14  Novice                                   1
    17  Schmeg                           0           1,074     14  Novice                                   1
    18  Illtiger1                        0           1,059     15  Novice                                   1
    19  Gorfy                        1,960           1,048     15  Novice                                   3
    20  save2600                       549           1,007     12  Novice                                   1
    21  Apollo's Bow                     0             861     11  Novice                                   1
    22  gamer1867                        0             853     10  Novice                                   1
    23  atariron82                       0             714      9  Novice                                   1
    24  Murrex Ferreus                   0             693      9  Novice                                   1
    25  intellivotion                    0             647      9  Novice                                   1
    26  BuckoBrand                       0             447      6  Novice                                   1
    27  Dante Is Awesome                 0             447      6  Novice                                   2
    28  bradd1978                        0             392      5  Novice                                   1
    29  jblenkle                       249             249      4  Novice                                   1
    30  IVY                              0              31      1  Novice                                   1

General Statistics:

Output for "build-lb" generated on: 12/31/2015 10:19:45

GENERAL STATISTICS:
-------------------
        Total Entries Processed:       573
        Disqualified Entries:           67
        Non-Participating Entries:       4
        Veteran Entries:                 9
        Total Qualified Contestants:    30

CHAMPIONS PER RANK:
-------------------
        Novice:        15
        Helper:         4
        Ranger:         2
        Master:         0
        Grand Master:   0

VETERANS PER RANK:
-------------------
        Novice:         1
        Helper:         3
        Ranger:         1
        Master:         1
        Grand Master:   3

LAST STAGES BY RANK:
--------------------
        Haunted Hollow:        12
                Novice:         3
                Grand Master:   6

Frosted Maze:          36
                Novice:        12
                Helper:        15
                Ranger:         3
                Master:         2
                Grand Master:   4

Candy Cove:            69
                Novice:         4
                Helper:        48
                Ranger:         2
                Master:        12
                Grand Master:   3

Icicle Lane:           11
                Novice:         3
                Helper:         8

Snowflake Garden:      15
                Novice:        10
                Grand Master:   2

Freezer Burn:          44
                Novice:         7
                Helper:         4
                Grand Master:  33

Krystal Keep:          26
                Novice:         7
                Master:        10
                Grand Master:   9

Twisted Toyland:       31
                Novice:         5
                Helper:        13
                Ranger:         6
                Grand Master:   7

ACHIEVEMENTS EARNED:
--------------------
        One Smart Cookie:                     0
        The Spirit Of Christmas Present:     30
        The Spirit Of Christmas Past:         7
        Ice Cave Raider:                     29
        Cavern Explorer:                     29
        Santa's Magic Touch:                 28
        The Boss Is In:                      17
        Elf In Training:                     25
        Elf Apprentice:                      20
        Santa's Elite Elf:                   11
        Elf Superstar:                        4
        Practice Makes Perfect:               5
        The Perfectionist Elf:               11
        I Have A Sweet Tooth:                 5
        Icy Flower Power:                     8
        Frozen "P":                           9
        A Perfect Christmas:                  3
        Five Golden Rings... Of Life:         9
        Savior Of Christmas:                 14
        The Twelve Days Of Christmas Carol:   3
        Elf On Duty:                          6
        Santa's Little Helper:               14
        I, Ranger Elf:                        7
        I, Master Elf:                        4
        I, Overachieving Elf:                 3
        I, Christmas Savior Extraordinaire:   5
        Walking On Egg Shells:                5
        Code Breaker:                         0
        To Kill A Mocking Ghost:              3
        Tread On Yellow Snow:                 2
        A Perfect Christmas Supreme:          0
        Exalted Elf Knight Of Christmas:      0
        A Clockwork Orange:                   0
        Story Teller:                         0
        Breaker Of Ice:                       1
        Nine Elf Ladies Dancing:              2
        Kickin' It Old-Skool:                 4
        Bake A Humble Pie:                    7
        The Twenty-Four Days Of Christmas Carol:  2
        Elf Of The Month:                     2
        The Ghost Of Birthday Presents:      10
        Veteran Elf:                         15
        It's Someone's Birthday And I Play If I Want To!:  8
        The Ghost Of Birthday Presents Supreme:  4
        Twice The Challenger Of Birthdays:    6
        The Christmas Hero:                   5
        The Twelve Scores Of Christmas:       5
        The Twelve Scores Of Christmas Supreme:  4

Helpful Links:

Download ROM Right Here:

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 8

Just played this game for the first time a week ago. It makes me want to buy an Inellivision and this game cart. :) I am terrible at it... But I attribute that to using directional keys on my keyboard... Need a USB joy. :)

Anyway, thank you to DZ-Jay and the production crew who created the game, and to Atariage for hosting the competition. Look forward to my sub-1000 scores for the duration of the month. :)

• Like 1

This only confuses me more. You eat a lot of pickles while gaming? Are we talking dill? Bread and butter? Fingers or fork, and if fingers do you get your controller messy?

if you didnt notice, my stuff sits on top of a fridge. I usually buy claussen pickle halves. I love bread and butter pickles though. I eat pickles because of one of my many problems i have is gastroparesis so i have reflux and heartburn all the time. Pickles help. I use my fingers to eat them but i wash them before i get down on some gaming. Now that ive told my life story....

if you didnt notice, my stuff sits on top of a fridge. I usually buy claussen pickle halves. I love bread and butter pickles though. I eat pickles because of one of my many problems i have is gastroparesis so i have reflux and heartburn all the time. Pickles help. I use my fingers to eat them but i wash them before i get down on some gaming. Now that ive told my life story....

Sweet, thanks! I was not going to get any sleep tonight wondering about that. I like pickles too, so I'll have to try celery salt on them. Glad you wash your hands. Also, thanks for spilling your secret to high CvG scores ;-)

• Like 1

Sweet, thanks! I was not going to get any sleep tonight wondering about that. I like pickles too, so I'll have to try celery salt on them. Glad you wash your hands. Also, thanks for spilling your secret to high CvG scores ;-)

in a chicago dog they put celery salt on the pickle and relish. Mmmm chicago dog....
  • Like 1

And if there is anyone who wants to try to get the story teller achievement here is my entry from last year for some inspiration:

story teller.

Twas the night before christmas and all through the maze

Not a ghost was stirring cause I gave him the snowflake daze

Presents scattered here and there

I've got to get them all so I can get the hell outta here

I am but one lonely elf

Why do I have to do everything myself

I've got to get the presents back to Santa Clause' sled

If I am caught by the evil snowman I'm sure to be dead

If you hear his blood curdling howl

You can be sure that he is on the prowl

Sometimes I'm chased by a robot with a laser

That makes me look like i got shot with a taser

This delicious candy I score one at a time

I'm sure christmas will be perfect if all of them I can find

So be sure to eat more candy

Or you're never going to be that handy

I've got 8 caverns I have to explore

If I finish them all I might check out 8 more

So on haunted hallow, on frosted maze, on candy cove, and icicle lane

I cant name them all it's hurting my brain

This cavern I'm stuck in is completely insane

Trying to outrun these two is really a pain

And if I mess up my life will drain

But if I finish this hand I was dealt to play

I just might get a medal from an elf named DZ-Jay

-Pimpmaul69

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 3

Okee doke. Here's the worst score ever posted on this game. ;) Still getting the hang of maneuvering around the ghost and getting a feel for when he is chasing Carol or just wandering....

The snowman is ruthless.....

234_zpsy9ovru98.png

last year was my first year playing. My first scores were that low. I ended the month as a master elf. Practice is all it takes. Dont give up.
  • Like 1

last year was my first year playing. My first scores were that low. I ended the month as a master elf. Practice is all it takes. Dont give up.

Thank you. :)

Looks like I'll need quite a bit of practice.

Should I be going for PERFECTs right off, or just get presents and advance? I have yet to get a PERFECT, regardless of what I try. I keep getting waxed by the snowman once he speeds up.

Thank you. :)

Looks like I'll need quite a bit of practice.

Should I be going for PERFECTs right off, or just get presents and advance? I have yet to get a PERFECT, regardless of what I try. I keep getting waxed by the snowman once he speeds up.

me personally, i was obsessed with getting a perfect christmas. (I had 10 perfect christmas' last year.) however it probably is better to just try to beat the levels. Congrats on getting an achievement for a perfect level.
  • Like 1