IGNORED

5200 hack ideas

sku_u

With all these awesome 2600 hacks floating around out there, it'd be nice to see more 5200 hacks. Pacmanplus proved that hacking for the 5200 is viable with his Hangley Man and Pacman Plus hacks as have Classics and Kenfused with all their 8bit conversions.

What are some games you'd love to see hacked for the 5200?

For myself, I'd love to see Asteroids hacked into vector Asteroids Deluxe and Space Invaders hacked into SI deluxe.

What other games would be great to hack for the 5200?

854006[/snapback]

Why was this thread moved?

I once put in the "hacks" forum an idea about altering Countermeasure, so the 3-letter code wasn't so easy to randomly hit before...the possible end of the world. Either the code should contain more letters (4 or 5), or maybe have more letters assigned to the keypad numbers. I'd think this would be a relatively easy hack. I think the simplicity of typing in randomly and entering the correct code is the biggest problem with the game.

Someone recently posted a hack of Missle Command. It could be improved even more with trak-ball support (I imagine that's already not a problem) and using the bottom keypad buttons for each base, maybe? The work so far looks excellent. I love the intro!

And how about making Ms. Pac-Man a bit easier? SIDE NOTE: I've always wondered why the different game companies didn't just program the home versions' Pac-Man games' boards sideways, since it would then have the same dimensions as the arcade versions, but only a different perspective. Would it really change the gameplay that much?

Auto-fire option on Gyruss?

And how about making Ms. Pac-Man a bit easier?  SIDE NOTE: I've always wondered why the different game companies didn't just program the home versions' Pac-Man games' boards sideways, since it would then have the same dimensions as the arcade versions, but only a different perspective.  Would it really change the gameplay that much?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37041

Ms.Pac turbo hack is in this thread, you might find it easier.

5200 hacks I would love to see:

Kaboom! - take out the 1812 overture sounds, or add an option to toggle the 1812 overture on or off (just like the sound option in the 5200 Keystone Kapers). Also, remove the city-scape backgound (i.e. make the background look like the 2600 version).

Frogger - modify the control so that you don't have to push the fire button before moving (i.e. make it work like Frogger on the 2600). This hack is essential for those that use the redemption adapter w/CX40, and would allow Frogger to really shine on the 5200.

Montezuma's Revenge - modify the 2nd fire button so that it results in a horizontal jump. This is how Pitfall! is programmed on the 5200 and it really helps game play (i.e. 1st fire button is a vertical jump, 2nd fire button is a horizontal jump).

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns - an option to toggle the music on or off (again, just like the option in the 5200 Keystone Kapers), and an option to start the game on the 2nd level.

Asteroids - modify the control so that it easily works with the redemption adapter and CX40 (i.e. make the control the same as Asteroids on the 2600). This would allow Asteroids to really shine on the 5200.

I wish I was better at programming so I could implement any of these. I put a lot of time into trying the Kaboom! hack and found myself hopelessly lost. :(

Edited by nems

Frogger - modify the control so that you don't have to push the fire button before moving (i.e. make it work like Frogger on the 2600). This hack is essential  for those that use the redemption adapter w/CX40, and would allow Frogger to really shine on the 5200.

854596[/snapback]

Well, I don't know the technical details of the redemption adapter (i.e. what range of values in the POTx registers mean "centered" for this device) so here's a compromise. You don't have to use the button to move any more, but your frog will keep on hopping if you hold the joystick in that direction.

Frogger_nobutton.zip

Kaboom! - take out the 1812 overture sounds, or add an option to toggle the 1812 overture on or off (just like the sound option in the 5200 Keystone Kapers). Also, remove the city-scape backgound (i.e. make the background look like the 2600 version).

854596[/snapback]

1812 overture sounds removed.

Kaboom_no_1812_overture.zip

Kaboom! - 1812 overture sounds removed.

Thank you so much batari!!! Works great. I can now play Kaboom! on the 5200 with more love than I have for the 2600 version. :love:

Frogger - Well, I don't know the technical details of the redemption adapter (i.e. what range of values in the POTx registers mean "centered" for this device) so here's a compromise. You don't have to use the button to move any more, but your frog will keep on hopping if you hold the joystick in that direction.

I don't know if this helps, but my understanding is:

Horizontal pot: 10K ohm is left, 250K ohm is centered, 500K ohm is right.

Vertical pot: 10K ohm is down, 250K ohm is centered, 500K ohm is up.

A range near 250K for both horizontal and vertical pots should represent a centered joystick.

It dawns on me that this Frogger hack should work for ALL self-centering joysticks being used on a 5200 (regardless of whether they are digital or analog).

The only issue I have encountered with the frog continuing to hop more than once, is when the frog reaches the "home bay" (top of the screen). Unless I'm very fast, one movement of the joystick results in a jump into the "home bay" from the current frog, as well as a new frog appearing at the bottom of the screen who jumps out into traffic prematurely.

If a self-centering 'check' between jumps is too difficult to implement, perhaps add a requirement that the fire button is pushed once before a new frog can start moving? At any rate, even without any further enhancement this hack of Frogger plays WAYYYYY BETTTER than before!!!

Thanks again! :D

Edited by nems

• 2 weeks later...

For myself, I'd love to see Asteroids hacked into vector Asteroids Deluxe and Space Invaders hacked into SI deluxe.

854006[/snapback]

I did a graphic hack of the 5200 version of Asteroids a while back and named it Asteroids VE (VE short for Vector Edition). You should be able to find it for download from the Hacks forum or on any rom site.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have some ideas for hacks if anyone cares to listen.

Defender:

An option to increase the score interval needed to earn an extra man. Maybe keys 7, 8, and 9 could be used to set the interval to 10K, 20K, and 30K?

Autofire for the laser if the button is held down.

Star Trek

A sector select. I'd love to be able to start the game further in. Conceivably this could be done on the title screen. Instead of pressing Start to start the game, a keypad press starts the game at the Quadrant pressed.

Megamania

This is my idea for an extensive hack. First, reduce the speed of Energy depletion to be such that the Energy Bar is enough for several waves. Then, add in a new 5th wave where you dock with a mothership and only get the bonus energy remaining at that point. This would create a crude version of Astro Blaster. :)

Missile Command

Change the colors to something viewable on the horribly garish levels.

Asteroids - modify the control so that it easily works with the redemption adapter and CX40 (i.e. make the control the same as Asteroids on the 2600). This would allow Asteroids to really shine on the 5200.

hack off the version that was released for the 8-bit computers, which already uses cx-40 joysticks (or compatible). the unreleased 5200 version appears to [otherwise] be the same.

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a hack but I'd love to see a port of the Intellivision game "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Treasure of Tarmin" on the 5200. I bet it could be beefed up graphically too.

to play that game on a joystic controller instead of that stupid dial would be awesome.

edit: to any interested coders, here is a cool link with all the sprites from the game as well as in depth game info:

http://www.zebeth.com/playplanet/index.html

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Robotron- Main character look less blocky and more like the 7800 version

Popeye- Bluto to look more like the colecovision version without his face lookin like the number 5

Blaster- Speed the game up

Berzerk- with the control scheme of Robotron. Two joysticks

Also games like mountain king and krazy shoot out hacked for better control. Those games seem to need more precise resistance to make the character move. If they had the same control resistance as pitfall 2 it would be good.

Someone to finish Missle Command Plus...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have three games that I would love to see hacked, Not so much graphical hacks but ways to make them a hell of alot easier.

01 - River Raid - I loved the hack for the 2600 that allowed you to play forever never getting hit, Inifinite Fuel and Unlimited Lives. It was like a dream come true, I can't tell you how angry I used to get.

I only managed to get to Bridge 61, Using the start at bridge 50 mode.

I want to get to 99-200. What is up their after all????

02 - Moon Patrol - One of my favorite games as a kid the 5200 version I thought was awesome compared to the 2600 version. I have made it through both modes back in the day but what I wouldn't give for a hack that gets rid of Collisions. Infinite Lives would be a plus to, Even though theres infinite continues bult in the game. When you get to the tanks, I need help!

03 - Qix - Another game I used to love to play, I would like to see Invonerability against sparks, the qix, and everything else giving me the chance to score huge with no problem.

Yeah, It takes the challenge out but damn the 5200 games were anything but easy.