IGNORED

NightRider (my third 2600 minigame)

cd-w

I have attached a copy of my third 2600 1K minigame to this message. It is not quite finished yet, but I though it would be good to get some feedback on the gameplay and general concept. Unlike my previous minigames, this one is an attempt to do something more original. The aim of the game is to steer your motorcycle over the terrain while avoiding the pursuing helicopter. The controls are Left (Brake), Right (Accelerate), and Fire (Jump). You can jump higher by holding down the fire button. I have attached a screenshot below:

post-6563-1116103170_thumb.jpg

The cool Helicopter and Motorcycle sprites were created by the fantastic forum member jussts. The crap explosion effect was my own creation (and will be improved later). Both NTSC and PAL versions are included in the archive (if unsure, you probably want the NTSC one). The full source code is also included as usual.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the game, and if you find any bugs. Also, if you have any suggestions then I will be happy to hear them!

Chris

P.S. The latest version can now be found here.

nightrider01.zip

Edited by cd-w

Anyway, let me know what you think of the game, and if you find any bugs.  Also, if you have any suggestions then I will be happy to hear them!

It plays a bit like Moon Patrol, but still very nice. :)

Suggestions:

- IMO the acceleration and brake are reacting much to hefty.

- The helicopter sould always be faster than the Motorcycle and patrol the sky.

- How about combining two sprites for the helicopter?

- How about a nice shadow effect for the Motorcycle?

BTW: Can you reach the upper plattform? If not, then you should use a different color there,

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the quick feedback (the game would not have been possible without your excellent SwitchDraw and High Score routines!). Can I ask you to clarify a few of your suggestions?

IMO the acceleration and brake are reacting much to hefty.

Do you mean that they react too fast? There is a delay factor in the code that can be increased, but I found it difficult to dodge the missiles this way. Ideally this would be done properly with intertia, but I couldn't find the space for it (if you have any suggestions for making the code tighter then I will be happy to hear them).

The helicopter sould always be faster than the Motorcycle and patrol the sky.

I will do this in the next version. I was planning to have several levels of difficulty where the missile frequency and helicopter speed increase over time.

How about combining two sprites for the helicopter?

Do you mean combine the sprite data as it is largely the same for both frames, or making the helicopter wider using two sprites (as in your Cave 1K game)?

How about a nice shadow effect for the Motorcycle?

Yes, I will ask jussts if this is possible.

BTW: Can you reach the upper plattform? If not, then you should use a different color there

Yes, it is possible to reach the upper platform.

Thanks,

Chris

Promising, Chris!

The timing of holding and releasing the jump button in the NTSC version gets frustrating, because the motorcycle is jumping up too fast.

The PAL version plays smoothly all the way.

Tip: How about letting the cyclist duck by pressing the joystick down?

Good luck!

BTW: I like the funny fact that you're still able to jump while you're already exploded.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Very cool! I like the sounds - The explosion reminds me of Air-Sea Battle. As far as changes go, it seems that you get the same points for distance no matter how fast you go - I think it would be better to give more points per distance if you are going faster to encourage higher speeds and higher difficulty.

Do you mean that they react too fast?  There is a delay factor in the code that can be increased, but I found it difficult to dodge the missiles this way.  Ideally this would be done properly with intertia, but I couldn't find the space for it (if you have any suggestions for making the code tighter then I will be happy to hear them).

I'll have a look at the code.

Do you mean combine the sprite data as it is largely the same for both frames, or making the helicopter wider using two sprites (as in your Cave 1K game)?

Something like that, yes.

Yes, it is possible to reach the upper platform.

Then you might want to use color gradients (if you have enough CPU time), to make the platforms looks a bit less blocky.

Instead of using FineTune you can use:

eor     #$07 
   asl               
   asl               
   asl               
   asl 

And you all 16 bit maths (including BCD), you could use a subroutine like this:

Add16BCD:    
   sed
Add16:
   clc
   adc     $00,x
   sta     $00,x
   tya
   adc     $01,x
   sta     $01,x
   cld
   rts

This code should be useful for adding inertia too.

If Xposition does the inx, you can save another byte. :)

For the score pointer setup code, you should have a look at my Cave1K or Splatform 2600 code. This might save one or two bytes.

BTW: CF is not a perfect value for random numbers.

Only these values generate complete 255 bytes sequences:

8E, 95, 96, A6, AF, B1, B2, B4, B8, C3, C6, D4, E1, E7, F3, FA

855526[/snapback]

OK, I will try these other values and see how they appear. I got the $CF value from this page:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/leeedavison/6502/code/prng.html

Thanks for your other suggestions also. Unfortunately I don't have any spare cycles in the kernel for a colour gradient without moving to a two-line kernel.

Chris

OK, I will try these other values and see how they appear.  I got the $CF value from this page:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/leeedavison/6502/code/prng.html

Don't worry, my fault. I missed that you are using ASL and not LSR, like I do.

I got my info from here: http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/lfsr/

I have attached a copy of my third 2600 1K minigame to this message.  It is not quite finished yet, but I though it would be good to get some feedback on the gameplay and general concept.  Unlike my previous minigames, this one is an attempt to do something more original.  The aim of the game is to steer your motorcycle over the terrain while avoiding the pursuing helicopter.  The controls are Left (Brake), Right (Accelerate), and Fire (Jump).  You can jump higher by holding down the fire button.  I have attached a screenshot below:

post-6563-1116103170_thumb.jpg

The cool Helicopter and Motorcycle sprites were created by the fantastic forum member jussts. The crap explosion effect was my own creation (and will be improved later).  Both NTSC and PAL versions are included in the archive (if unsure, you probably want the NTSC one).  The full source code is also included as usual.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the game, and if you find any bugs.  Also, if you have any suggestions then I will be happy to hear them!

Chris

855267[/snapback]

Hi Chris

nice game :)

greetings Gambler172

Very cool!  I like the sounds - The explosion reminds me of Air-Sea Battle.  As far as changes go, it seems that you get the same points for distance no matter how fast you go - I think it would be better to give more points per distance if you are going faster to encourage higher speeds and higher difficulty.

855326[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback, I will make this change in the next version. Hass anyone managed to get more than 2000 points yet (I haven't)!

NightRider??  Damn, you tricked me!! I was thinking "Knight Rider"  :D  :D

Ever thought of making this game about Fonzie :ponder:

855356[/snapback]

Yes, I did think of it after reading the Fonz thread. However, I don't remember any episode where he was chased by a Helicopter! Perhaps a shark instead :)

Promising, Chris!

The timing of holding and releasing the jump button in the NTSC version gets frustrating, because the motorcycle is jumping up too fast.

The PAL version plays smoothly all the way.

Tip: How about letting the cyclist duck by pressing the joystick down?

BTW: I like the funny fact that you're still able to jump while you're already exploded.

Good luck!

855309[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback - I think the jumping problems could be solved by using gravity, rather than a fixed increment, but I haven't figured out how to code this properly yet. I have spent hours trying to get the controls to feel right, but I see that there is still some work to do! I'm not sure what the benifit of allowing the cyclist to duck would be? I did think about using the down direction to make you land faster after a jump. The jumping explosion is a space-saving feature - you can also move the helicopter with right/left after you die!

Chris

Unfortunately I don't have any spare cycles in the kernel for a colour gradient without moving to a two-line kernel.

855546[/snapback]

It seems to me that this can be optimized:

DrawTerrain
; Draw Missile
 tya  ; [2] + 2
 lsr  ; [4] + 2
 cmp MISSY	; [6] + 3
 php  ; [9] + 3

It looks like you are comparing MISSY with Y/2, but it seems to me that you could easily keep a copy of MISSY*2 somewhere and you wouldn't need the tya,lsr in the middle of the kernel. This doesn't give you much, but it does give enough to replace these two instructions with sty.w COLUPF which will give some gradient effect.

It seems to me that this can be optimized:

DrawTerrain
; Draw Missile
 tya ; [2] + 2
 lsr ; [4] + 2
 cmp MISSY; [6] + 3
 php ; [9] + 3

It looks like you are comparing MISSY with Y/2, but it seems to me that you could easily keep a copy of MISSY*2 somewhere and you wouldn't need the tya,lsr in the middle of the kernel.  This doesn't give you much, but it does give enough to replace these two instructions with sty.w COLUPF which will give some gradient effect.

855572[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The lsr is used to make the missile appear on two scanlines in succession, while the optimisation would only make it apper on a single scanline and this would be too small. The /2 value is also used below to calculate the PF display line (cmp #PFKERN), so it can't esily be removed.

Thanks anyway!

Chris

Excellent game!  Reminds me of this. :ponder:

856156[/snapback]

Oops, it does look very similar :ponder: Purely coincidence though as I hadn't played this before!

I guess there are only so many ways that you can do sideways scrolling using PF graphics.

Chris

Excellent game!  Reminds me of this. :ponder:

856156[/snapback]

Oops, it does look very similar :ponder: Purely coincidence though as I hadn't played this before!

I guess there are only so many ways that you can do sideways scrolling using PF graphics.

Chris

856233[/snapback]

Nah, I was only joking. I'm glad to see more sidescrollers for the 2600. Someday I'll get around to finishing that other thing...:ponder:

Oops, it does look very similar  :ponder:    Purely coincidence though as I hadn't played this before! 

I'm also working on a side-scroller motorcycle game, also a total coincidence. I think it is different enough from this one, as it's a motocross racing course, and I'm trying to use a player, a missile and the ball instead of playfield graphics since it's slower-paced and must scroll smoothly (though this is proving to be painful...)

On another note, good news about the Minigame contest has finally arrived: they are keeping the 1k and 4k categories, so our work is not in vain.

On another note, good news about the Minigame contest has finally arrived: they are keeping the 1k and 4k categories, so our work is not in vain.

856647[/snapback]

That is great news - now I need to go back and polish my other minigames ...

Chris

I have attached a small update to NightRider, based on some of the suggestions here. The changes in this version are:

1. The helicopter moves faster.
  2. Your score depends on your speed (faster = more points).
  3. The acceleration and braking are slower (proportional to speed).
  4. There is a new explosion effect.

I will hopefully be able to include more changes in the next version.

Enjoy!

Chris

nightrider02.zip

I have attached a small update to NightRider, based on some of the suggestions here.  The changes in this version are:

2. The helicopter moves faster.

3. Your score depends on your speed (faster = more points).

4. The acceleration and braking are slower (proportional to speed).

5. There is a new explosion effect.

I will hopefully be able to include more changes in the next version.

Enjoy!

Chris

859029[/snapback]

Fun stuff. :) Hard, too. I haven't been able to get much more than 600 pts. I'm too impatient. :D