IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 24: H.E.R.O.

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, no further scores will be accepted. However, if you still wish to discuss H.E.R.O. and compare scores, feel free to do so!

Roderick Hero, at you service. Please, call me R.Hero. Everyone does, I wish to address myself to fledgling Heroes and All-Round Good Guys every-where. A crisis is afoot, affording me an ideal opportunity to share a few of the finer points of heroic endeavor with you. Do pay attention. Volcanic activity has trapped miners in mineshafts in Mount Leone. I shall use equipment (some think it rather nifty) of my own invention to help miners no mere mortal can reach. It would give me great pleasure to have your help. The object of this undertaking is to rescue all the miners possible before running out of lives.

Game Information

• Game Name: H.E.R.O.
  • Released By: Activision, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Right Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Game Mode: Game 5 - Random Dungeons
  • Chosen By: Ze_ro

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Jan 3rd at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Mad Scientist! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 167,085 (Fellow Atari Man) [+11]
  2. 96,100 (khryssun) [+10]
  3. 81,535 (Cybergoth) [+9]
  4. 49,515 (Omegamatrix) [+8]
  5. 30,950 (scogey) [+7]
  6. 28,290 (LarcenTyler) [+6]
  7. 22,350 (RJ) [+5]
  8. 13,325 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 9775 (supercat) [+3]
  10. 1375 (silverpoodleman) [+2]
  11. 1300 (Goochman) [+1]
  12. 1000 (Christophero Sly) [+1]
  13. 850 (MoonlightKnight) [+1]
  14. 625 (gospeedde) [+1]

Best Tips

• Cybergoth [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Patch Score: Order of the H.E.R.O. - Score 75,000 points or higher and get 2 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Default Mode)
  1. 1,000,000 (Todd Rogers, David B Yancey)
  2. 699,530 (Robert T Mruczek)
  3. 261,390 (John Dunne)

Current Standings

1. Coming Eventually...

Member List

Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M

Scoring Points in H.E.R.O.

• Shoot a critter: 50 points
  • Each dynamite stick remaining when miner is rescued: 50 points
  • Dynamite a wall: 75 points
  • Rescue miner: 1000 points
  • One earns additional points for every unit of power remaining when a miner is
    rescued. The higher the level number, the more each unit of power is worth.
  • If you can reach 1,000,000 points, your mission will be over and the game will stop.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, AtariAge has a scanned copy and a typed copy online for your viewing pleasure. Here are the hints that the manual provides:

* The dynamite R.Hero carries is potent. He doesn't need to be right next to a wall in order to blow it up.

* If R.Hero runs out of dynamite, he can burn through walls with the Microlaser Beam. The closer he stands to the wall, the faster he'll break through.

* If a lantern goes out, find mineshafts by looking at the rough edges along the bottom of the screen.

* When flying above the river, ride the ceiling by pushing up as well as to the left or right.

* Ride rafts whenever possible since it is easier than trying to go under a lava ceiling.

* A word about tentacles: They don't move too fast, so try to outrunthem.

Tips:

*Get familiar with the wonky controls, in regards to dismounting from a raft (takes about 1 1/2-2 seconds when pushing up), hovering (ditto), etc., since they CAN be difficult.

*Play, play, PLAY! The more you play, the more familiar you'll become with the levels, and the bigger a bonus you'll get with more energy remaining at the end of the level.

My tips:

Don't let the timer run out. <!--emo&:P-->icon_razz.gif<!--endemo-->

Don't stay up all night playing or you won't want to go to work/school in the morning. <!--emo&:twisted:-->icon_twisted.gif<!--endemo-->

Memorize every level and look for identifiers early in levels to differentiate between levels that are extremely similar in appearance.

Hope you have lots of lives in reserve when the longest/most difficult levels appear. I know I needed them. <!--emo&;)-->icon_wink.gif<!--endemo-->

Hm... some tips:

- The lamp is always on the right side.

- While you need to go away quite a bit from the dynamite horizontally, a few pixels do vertically

- In 95% of cases, the more difficult looking path is the right one <!--emo&;)-->icon_wink.gif<!--endemo-->

--Ze_ro

UPDATE #2 - WHY DID I LOVE THIS GAME??????? I spit in it's gen-er-al die-rection!! Got up to 1,375

BTW, my daughter now HATES this game (well, game 5, anyway). One funny thing is that she BROKE A JOYSTICK while playing HERO. Cut the "stick" right off at the "joy" (the white inside plastic snapped)

------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter's favorite 2600 game. Frankly, she is better at it than I so when she comes back from a mini-vacation on Friday, I will set her loose!

********UPDATE*********

There's some Revisionist History going on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed the part about playing Game 5 and the scoring is, well, quite different from Game 1. So lets say that we'll wipe the 30,000+ score and keep my high of, uh, 800 (after about half an hour and about six hundred games (the sound in my basement went something like this "What??!! Damn! Whatt???????? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! - Reset -What??!! Damn! Whatt???????? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! - Reset -

What??!! Damn! Whatt???????? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! - Reset -

What??!! Damn! Whatt???????? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! - Reset, etc., etc.,

Edited by silverpoodleman

Actually, I couldn't help thinking of the classic Black Sabbath song, Zero the Hero, from Born Again  :evil:

990840[/snapback]

I kinda like the Cannibal Corpse version from their Hammer Smashed Face e. p. myself. :D

Gospeede (sp?), try it on game 1 for a while, it's one of THE best games ever made for the 2600.

I made it to a million back "in the day", but then when you go back to a game you haven't played in years and years...heh. Lets just say with the computer monitor going out (shrinks to half the size, and the new computer won't be here 'til next Friday), and the actual cartridge in itself is buried (need to get organized), this'll probably be it for me, since it took a couple of days to get here as it was:

Tips:

*Get familiar with the wonky controls, in regards to dismounting from a raft (takes about 1 1/2-2 seconds when pushing up), hovering (ditto), etc., since they CAN be difficult.

*Play, play, PLAY! The more you play, the more familiar you'll become with the levels, and the bigger a bonus you'll get with more energy remaining at the end of the level.

post-3650-1136005271_thumb.jpg

My tips:

Don't let the timer run out. :P

Don't stay up all night playing or you won't want to go to work/school in the morning. :twisted:

Memorize every level and look for identifiers early in levels to differentiate between levels that are extremely similar in appearance.

Hope you have lots of lives in reserve when the longest/most difficult levels appear. I know I needed them. ;)

Hi there!

After about an hour I managed a whopping 625 and I'm so never playing this game again.

Please, try at least variant #1, H.E.R.O. normally has a really friendly difficulty ramp.

Hm... some tips:

- The lamp is always on the right side.

- While you need to go away quite a bit from the dynamite horizontally, a few pixels do vertically

- In 95% of cases, the more difficult looking path is the right one ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, as a New Year's present, I'll give the answer to my quote:

"YUCK! I'm going to be sick!" -Eiko Megami (a.k.a. A-Ko) from Project A-Ko

If you're an anime fan and haven't seen that, shame on you! While the movies that came after it were less popular, the original remains one of the greatest anime movies of all time.

At any rate, here's a slightly better score.

post-1653-1136141439_thumb.jpg

Well, as a New Year's present, I'll give the answer to my quote:

"YUCK! I'm going to be sick!" -Eiko Megami (a.k.a. A-Ko) from Project A-Ko

If you're an anime fan and haven't seen that, shame on you! While the movies that came after it were less popular, the original remains one of the greatest anime movies of all time.

992210[/snapback]

Never heard of it. Anyhow it's a joy to finally play on real hardware this week. First post: 49,515.