IGNORED

Raffle to Attend Midwest Gaming Classic?

Albert

Raffle for a free trip to the Midwest Gaming Classic  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a ticket?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As many of you probably know, the Midwest Gaming Classic is taking place June 3rd and 4th up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I'm sure there are many people who'd like to go, but aren't near enough the event to drive. I was wondering if people would be interested in participating in a raffle, the winner of which would have his or her expenses paid up to the Midwest Gaming Classic, including:

- Airfare to and from the show

- Transportation to and from the airport

- Hotel room at the Olympia Resort and Spa (possibly upgraded to a Suite)

- Tickets into the Midwest Gaming Classic

- Possibly some meals

- Probably some other goodies

If there were any extra proceeds, these would be given to the winner to do with as he or she pleases (such as spending it at the show!) This raffle would probably have to be limited to US residents, as international airfare would likely be too much (Canada might be okay, though, I'd have to check). Not sure how much a raffle ticket would cost, would depend on what I thought the participation would be, which is why I'm here asking. Assume for now that it would cost $10.

So, would you participate in such a raffle, at a chance to attend a free tip to the Midwest Gaming Classic?

..Al

I may give it a try... would there be any way to change airfare and transportation to gas reimbursement? It would probably be cheaper, and give the convenience of a car to me. Since I'm in Minneapolis, it wouldn't be too bad, maybe $150 round trip :)

spongebue

Al,

Have you checked airfare to and from Milwaukee for cities around the country? Depending on where the winner would be from I would suspect that air fair might be pretty high.

I did a quick search on Priceline, and it isn't too bad, here are a few figures I got when going to Milwaukee MKE airport, leaving 6/2 and returning 6/5, round trip:

Minneapolis: $220

Los Angeles: $310

Miami: $260 (1 stop)

Dallas/Fort Worth: $250

Honolulu: $630 <- understandably expensive

These may be a little cheaper if you go directly through the airline, too :)

I haven't made too many message board updates for everyone, but if you haven't been watching the web site for the show, here are just a few things to get you thinking about it...

Of course, AtariAge will be there as one of the featured vendors, along with a wide variety of things from many, many other vendors for classic games, new games, and so on.

There will be a bunch of tournaments, including one where you can win a pinball machine!

There will be both a Jagfest and DreamCon event at the show, both will feature a ton of stuff.

The Underdog Chamber will debut, and will be the place to check out those consoles and games that time passed by. Look for some really neat additions to this soon!

There will be at least 40 different pinball / arcade machines at the event on freeplay that I know of right now. And usually, people tell me about these in the last couple weeks. We're expecting to have 75-125 of them overall.

Speakers for the show include Scott Adams from Adventure International, Benjamin Heckendorn of BenHeck.com and Ellen Lurie of Raven Software. And me saying hi. More are coming soon too!

As of yet unannounced, but you dan start to get excited about it now is that we'll be giving away an Xbox 360 with some games donated by Sega at the event to a lucky winner, and a lot of other goodies. Details on all of this will continue to come out at the show's web site.

The show is 21,000 square feet this year, almost 8,000 feet larger than last year's show, and at this point we are practically sold out of all space. The show is going to be a blast, and I hope to meet everyone there. The Midwest Gaming Classic is organized by a group of gamers who I can say officially have never made money on the show, and we're just looking to put together something fun for everyone -- not something that gaming companies will be proud of, not something the bank will be proud of, but something that gamers want to attend.

I hope that everyone really considers attending, and we'll see you there!

I wish that I could go. Milwaukee is close enough of a drive for me but my son's birthday falls on the date of the show.

By "close enough to drive," do you mean "close enough to get a hotel" or "close enough to drive from home"? Keep in mind that it's a two day event. If you mean the latter, you can go for just one day. Or perhaps (depending on your son's interests) take him with you as a Birthday celebration?

What about winners that may reside in Chicago? Milwaukee is a 90 mile drive.

Instead of airfare, perhaps tolls and gas? (and with the recent change to the Illinois Tollway fares, the Gas would be cheaper. :D )

What about winners that may reside in Chicago? Milwaukee is a 90 mile drive.

Instead of airfare, perhaps tolls and gas? (and with the recent change to the Illinois Tollway fares, the Gas would be cheaper. :D )

Gas == $3.00/gal

90 mi / 25MPG = 3.6 gallons (You can do better than that, right?)

3.6 gal * $3.00/gal = $10.80

~$0.40/toll * 5 tolls = $2.00

$10.80 + $2.00 = $12.80 one way

$12.80 * 2 = $25.60 round trip

Considering that you'll be spending $10.00 per person for entry, at least $5 per for lunch, and $100's of dollars on new gear, all I have to say is:

Don't be such a cheapskate. :D :P

looks like this would be my only shot at possibly going, for a number of reasons. Are you going to do this? If the show is in 2 weeks, it's probably a good idea to do it now or never, to give people notice and all.

spongebue