IGNORED

How to Play 5200 Gorf

kenfused

This used to be one of my favorite arcade games back in the day. I had a version for my Vic 20 which I played all the time.

This past weekend, I was finally getting around to testing roms on a flashcart I had gotten a couple of years ago. While there were several games I couldn't get to work, Gorf started up with no problem at all. I had never played it on the 5200 before, so I gave it a go.

This must be the game that gives the Atari 5200 controllers a bad name. Why in hell did the programmers go for absolute positioning of the stick ala Missile Command for this game? I will say this: it certainly gives the game an entirely different feel.

Eventually, I gave up because I couldn't manage to get through the Space Warp stage. Still, I don't blame it on the controller. It's definitely the way the game was programmed to interpret the controller.

So, to make a long story short, I'll be happy to try out this hack when I get home. :D

• Like 1

Eventually, I gave up because I couldn't manage to get through the Space Warp stage. Still, I don't blame it on the controller. It's definitely the way the game was programmed to interpret the controller.

That's my view of a lot of 5200 games with bad control.

Not saying they're the best for everything, but there's a lot that can be done to improve things. But tweaking deadzone sizes and adding analog input functions would have wreaked havoc with their "quick&dirty port" policy.

Hey Ken, the controls are way too slow for me compared to the original, LOL... Seriously, nice hack, I am having to re-visit this game now. Thanks.

Seems like they would have been much better to go with a control scheme like Galaxian where the position of the stick indicates speed rather than position. Anyway, thanks much... :)

-Brian

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 5200 was a wonderful machine in many ways except for that control mess. Those analogs would have made a nice option for games that benefit but not as a pack in controller. I will check this bad boy out as soon as I find a friggin spare moment from all these projects....aaaarrrrgggghhh! Ah but I do love what Im doing...

...plus, the mention of Gorf ALWAYS gets my ear...;)

Edited by Gorf
  • Like 1