IGNORED

Joysticks that came with Heavy 6-er

fire!fire!

I just got a Heavy Sixer that came with assorted joysticks - and there are some really different ones. I searched the threads here a little and decided to post after not finding one of them anywhere. One of them has the Atari logo on the end of the stick. Sure wish it worked! There is also one that has a little metal switch on the plug-side that turns the fire button on and off. In one position you can't fire. That experiment got me killed! :twisted:

Also there are paddles that have the Atari logo in place of the word paddle. I was wondering if anyone else has one of the sticks with the metal switch that disengages the fire button? Or do you think someone modified this one themselves? It looks to me like it came that way. There were also some old joysticks that are the springy-kind with no TOP in the ring. One does not work at all and the other one won't let you go left. Not good for playing Galaxian!!! :lolblue: post-7503-1166831298_thumb.jpg

I just got a Heavy Sixer that came with assorted joysticks - and there are some really different ones. I searched the threads here a little and decided to post after not finding one of them anywhere. One of them has the Atari logo on the end of the stick. Sure wish it worked! There is also one that has a little metal switch on the plug-side that turns the fire button on and off. In one position you can't fire. That experiment got me killed! :twisted:

Also there are paddles that have the Atari logo in place of the word paddle. I was wondering if anyone else has one of the sticks with the metal switch that disengages the fire button? Or do you think someone modified this one themselves? It looks to me like it came that way. There were also some old joysticks that are the springy-kind with no TOP in the ring. One does not work at all and the other one won't let you go left. Not good for playing Galaxian!!! :lolblue: post-7503-1166831298_thumb.jpg

Very interesting variants. Especially the "Atari" at the top of the joystick.

The joystick with the Atari logo at the top of the stick is very rare, be proud to have it, even if it doesn't work. Not only that, it could be easily fixed with a little TLC. They were only available with the earliest released Atari's back in 1977 through early 1978.

That is the gem of the lot. :cool:

As for the stick with the toggle switch...looks like it was modified by the original owner. Atari didn't make them that way. Still, an interesting oddity!

The piece of metal with the Atari name on the top of the stick is known as a "hex disc", and they are scarce because of the weak adhesive holding them on - most of them fell off and were lost. The springy sticks that came with the hex discs are also known by their model number, CX-10. The later version joysticks are CX-40. A nice pair of CX-10 sticks with the hex discs might sell for $50 or more with the Atari logo ($100 or more if they say SEARS instead!)

Also, I agree that the stick with the switch to disable the fire button must be a homemade hack. I have no idea what it might be useful for.

It looks like the joystick with Atari on the end is the same as the other, older-style "springy" one that came with (the one that can't go left) but the top of the stick is indented as if the Atari hex fell off this one. The one with the logo attached is beyond repair, I think. The plastic that should be soft is hard as a rock and it looks melted like it was subjected to intense heat but then the logo would have melted off. I dunno. Maybe I can combine the broken one with the one missing the logo. But really I should just leave them alone. I am not much of a mechanic... besides I have a ton of CX-40 to use - not like I am stranded on an island with just these 2 sticks. (Thank GOD for that...)

Also, I agree that the stick with the switch to disable the fire button must be a homemade hack. I have no idea what it might be useful for.

Someone's attempt at a rapid-fire mod, that either never worked, or no longer works?

If I had that stick, I'd feel duty-bound to take it apart and find out :)

It looks like the joystick with Atari on the end is the same as the other, older-style "springy" one that came with (the one that can't go left) but the top of the stick is indented as if the Atari hex fell off this one. The one with the logo attached is beyond repair, I think. The plastic that should be soft is hard as a rock and it looks melted like it was subjected to intense heat but then the logo would have melted off. I dunno. Maybe I can combine the broken one with the one missing the logo. But really I should just leave them alone. I am not much of a mechanic... besides I have a ton of CX-40 to use - not like I am stranded on an island with just these 2 sticks. (Thank GOD for that...)

I''ll buy that busted cx10 from ya. PM sent. ;)

Someone's attempt at a rapid-fire mod, that either never worked, or no longer works?

If I had that stick, I'd feel duty-bound to take it apart and find out :)

Ok I did take it apart and here it is:

post-7503-1166930819_thumb.jpg

My guess:

When turned off -- no effect.

When turned on -- it "holds" the fire button down continuously for you so that your thumb doesn't get sore. I'm not sure what games this would work on -- maybe Space Invaders or Defender or Astroblast or something like that.

Kind of a nifty little hack really....would work great for small kids....

Edited by else

My guess:

When turned off -- no effect.

When turned on -- it "holds" the fire button down continuously for you so that your thumb doesn't get sore. I'm not sure what games this would work on -- maybe Space Invaders or Defender or Astroblast or something like that.

Kind of a nifty little hack really....would work great for small kids....

Qix, on the Atari 800... to guarantee you're in "slow draw" mode. That's what I'd use it for, anyway. Most 2600 games don't let you hold down the fire button and get multiple shots. Hm, are there any 2600 racing games that use the fire button for the gas pedal? It'd be useful for that (but Pole Position uses the fire button for the brake, not useful).

Yeah, the switch is a sloppy "hold the button down" hack, not meant to disable the button. But in some games holding the button down gives you a single shot, then nothing. It may be useful in a few games but it might take a bit of experimenting to figure out which games they are.

@ Urchlay: I believe Enduro uses the button for accelerator, but I doubt that using that switch would give you a better score!

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Yeah - it is really too bad that one does not work! I am thinking by looking back at old threads that one was the first kind they made. The one with the metal switch really has me stumped, tho. At least that one works and the paddles work great.

The original 1977 CX-10 Joysticks

heavy sixer joystick question?

Thanks for posting the link. I did search, but didn't have the right search words. I did take the one apart that doesn't go left and got it to do so when it was apart but not with the stick itself, I had to press on the inside part over the springs. After quite a bit of Southern Comfort I got out every joystick I owned and realized some play better than others! :dunce: Never thought of that before. River Raid is the perfect joystick testing game!

WOW Thanks for the info but with River Raid it is awesome! It continuously fires, and if you push the joystick up to go faster, you fire faster, and pulling the stick down which slows your speed, it also slows the firing. The only thing is that when you get killed it starts the next life (at the last bridge you blew) instantly because it is still firing even tho you just died. It's weird but kind of fun...

WOW Thanks for the info but with River Raid it is awesome! It continuously fires, and if you push the joystick up to go faster, you fire faster, and pulling the stick down which slows your speed, it also slows the firing. The only thing is that when you get killed it starts the next life (at the last bridge you blew) instantly because it is still firing even tho you just died. It's weird but kind of fun...

How do you refuel without blowing up the fuel on a regular basis?

I guess it's possible (you can refuel by touching just the wing to the fuel dump, so the bullets don't hit it), but it seems like it'd be a pain.

Also, you only get one shot on the screen at a time... if you've already got a shot on the screen, and a new enemy scrolls in from the top, you can't shoot him immediately. Hm.

Yes it is a very corny way to play River Raid and not practical at all, but I have been trying this new joystick I got on all kinds of games and some games do not allow the rapid fire to work. I got this joystick in an auction that had several all together. Kind of a pot luck. Just never seen one like this before and trying it on all the games I have. Not really suggesting this is the way to play River Raid since my high score with this joystick on rapid fire is a whopping 5840. :D

Yeah, the switch is a sloppy "hold the button down" hack, not meant to disable the button. But in some games holding the button down gives you a single shot, then nothing. It may be useful in a few games but it might take a bit of experimenting to figure out which games they are.

Is it possible that is switches the joystick for left-handed use? I remember some of my left-handed friends used to turn the joystick upside down -- it worked, but you had to remember to go left for right and vice-versa. Maybe the switch allowed you to play with the stick upside down, with the controls still being right side up...?

~G

No, the wiring can be followed in the photo in post #10 above. It is definitely a "hold down the button" switch, made with red-black-blue 3-wire ribbon cable (the blue wire of this cable is not used, but the original blue wire of the controller was mis-positioned and got pinched under a screw boss).

To make a lefty/righty switch would require a 4-pole switch or a relay.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

No, the wiring can be followed in the photo in post #10 above. It is definitely a "hold down the button" switch, made with red-black-blue 3-wire ribbon cable (the blue wire of this cable is not used, but the original blue wire of the controller was mis-positioned and got pinched under a screw boss).

To make a lefty/righty switch would require a 4-pole switch or a relay.

Ah yes, missed that pic somehow. You can see the one wire (red? - colour blind, so I never would have been able to be an electrician, not a good one anyway) connected to the button contact.

Actually, to make it a lefty, it would probably just be a a matter of reconnecting the wires to different posts. This would permanently make it a "lefty" stick, but then most left-handed people these days are permanently-so anyway...

~G