A special thank you to remowilliams for providing the TMNT board. ^_^
There's the connector itself. Here comes the board!
Now, how to give it power... well my weapon of choice is... a Pentium 4 power supply! You can use one of these by doing the following: Ground the green wire, so when you plug it in, it thinks that the power supply is on. When you turn on your computer, it connects these two pins, turns on the power supply, computer works. I then found +5v, +12v and -5v (only on older power supplies), and soldered them to the corresponding wires on the power supply.
What you are looking at, is a working TMNT. It turns on, the speaker is wired up (All early jamma arcade games are mono). No video driver yet (that alone is $75), but you can hear it yell COWABUNGA when you ground out the coin insert slot (aka simulating inserting a coin).
What is next, is to make the controller ports, and the controllers. I decided to modify 4 Sega genesis controllers for this project. This way, if I decide to get, X-Men, I can make the appropriate cables for players 3 and 4, and we can use the same controllers. I will be modding the controllers to use direct connections, just like how the arcade likes it. Sega decided to use a microchip to control the board. Unfortunately, we need direct connections. So, the idea is to cut all the traces going to the microchip, then doing the hard wiring myself.
10/20/09: Player 1 is done being wired up, player 2 is halfway done. Asked Scott for more serial cables for players 3 and 4. I am almost able to afford the video converter. After player 2 is done, I will start hacking controllers. EDIT: Player 2 is done! Hacking controllers is next!
This is the starting of wiring up player 1. Its pretty simple, trace the pin, twist and solder to the jamma harness.
Player 1 is done!
Both players are done!
10/21/09: Buttons work on the Sega Genesis controller. The wires are just too short, I need to make extensions for everything, then solder those. Its best off that way, because the wires that are soldered to the board now are way too flimsy. I opted to cut the sleeve back more, and then just hot glue the cable to the controller, so it doesn't go anywhere. Controller 1 is done!
This pic is the wiring job on the controller, to make it to the pinout of the arcade.
Here's the finished controller! It may look like a normal controller, but its hacked for the arcade.
I got 3 of the 4 controllers made, and I got all 4 controller ports made. All I need to do is buy the video adapter, make the last controller, then the fun part, making a super nice box for it. Don't wanna have everything being loose every time you play it. ^_^
03/26/10: All the controllers are now done. I just finished up the last controller. They all look the same that I have photos of, so I didn't bother taking more pics. The first controller I modded had a mushy A button... fixed that too. All it needs now is for my broke ass to gather up $40 and buy the video converter for it, and that shit is done. That is super easy to install, solder 2 wires for power, plug in the video, and play.
04/05/10: Its done.