Excellent news David!
I'm all in on this project.
I have played Utopia a lot of times and made some ideas on how I would have liked it more.
I put them in order. Please not that I'm not a programmer so some of them could not be realistic.
1) Different maps to choose form with different island shapes and positions (like someone already suggested)
2) Bigger maps with two main islands where the two players start and other smaller islands that can be "colonized" by the first player who reaches them with his/her ship
3) Possibility to link the two port of the main land and the colony with a trade route so that the colony can initially receive food from the mainland and later export goods
4) Different type of industries, possibly trasforming different raw goods that ideally could spawn random in the islands. For examples wild animals can give you additional food and/or furs
5) Some sort of Tech tree for some buildings, for example smaller to bigger and more productive factories, more productive crops later to represent better understanding of agriculture
6) While we are at it. It could be wonderful to be able, maybe later in the game to point the rebels in a distinct spot of the other player island.
7) It would be fun if you could give the order to "build" a rebel but the rebel spawn at the end of the turn so that at the beginning of the aggression the other player doesn't know whether the Rebel is machine generated or comes from the other player. Rebels can become of the colour of the other player with time, making official their allegiance to the player that originated them.
'8) I would add some other type of getting resources like for examples drilling the ocean for minearls or other commodities
Sorry for the lenght of my message.
It's just that I love Utopia!