I've had my 800 (still works great) since 1982. I purchased locally an 800XL, a good working 1050, and a 1025 printer of unknown condition (wow it is heavy). The 800XL and 1050 are nice, I opened and cleaned them real good and turned the 1050 into my new Happy drive (moved the Happy card from another 1050 that needs a belt). Given I am new to the 800XL I have a couple basic questions. Thanks in advance! Some attached pictures to go along with some my questions.
1) RF gives a nice color but the image is somewhat fuzzy as RF tends to be. I tried both channel 2 and 3. I have a good working composite to S-Video cable that works great with my 800 and gives great image quality. However, when I use this composite cable on the 800XL the image is much sharper than with RF however there is no color via composite. Only shades of grey. Is this expected or do I have an issue?
2) The 800XL sound, memory and keyboard tests all check out however, I only count 48 little squares for the RAM test. How come only 48 when there should be 64K of RAM? Also, what do the two long green bars represent for the ROM test (the left bar vs the right)?
3) Given my 800 has only 48K I'm curious about the 800XL's extra 16K (64K total). Do I need to do anything special to utilize the extra 16K? OR Is it always available or is it only there for a Ramdisk?
4) What should the BASIC command 'PRINT FRE(0)' display on an 800XL? Mine shows '37902' on the 800XL with no cartridge and nothing on SIO. Incidentally this is the same number that displays on my 48K 800, '37902'. So where's the extra 16K of the 64K 800XL?
5) Looking at the Keyboard Test. I understand most everything but have some questions:
- Nothing displays or beeps when I press the Break key. Is that normal? Note: The Break key works as expected in BASIC.
- Nothing displays or beeps when I hold Control and press '1'. Both in the keyboard test and when in BASIC. Is that normal?
- Which keys or key combinations do you hit to test the characters on the top row of the keyboard test? (see picture) I can get some of them to register (START, SELECT, OPTION and the Inverse key). However, the following are a mystery (are show in inverse on the top row): The 'R' in the top left. The 1, 2, 3, 4, H and B characters (on the top right).