Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

142 Excellent

1 Follower

About JetSetIlly

  • Rank
    Chopper Commander

Contact / Social Media

Profile Information

  • Custom Status

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. JetSetIlly

    Movie Cart

    They're still being made. Erica for the PS4 is a notable example.
  2. Very good question. I don't know. I'm only surmising that it is set based on the bug that I fixed. My bug might have been more subtle, but I don't think so. Either way, it would be interesting to dig into the ROM.
  3. The ball can be a different color to the players even in score mode. In scoremode the color of the ball is not changed - the playfield color changes to match the player of course, but not the ball. You can see this in the score mode/priority test ROM (using Stella in this instance). Debug colors: Real colors:
  4. The candidate pixels at that point on the screen are from the background, player 1 or the ball.
  5. New version with scoremode/priority fix: https://github.com/JetSetIlly/Gopher2600/releases/tag/v0.10.1 @ZeroPage Homebrew Please can you test with Circus Convoy. Thanks.
  6. Thanks for that. I've not seen the test ROM in the first post before. Interestingly, the ROM gives exactly the same output with the old code as it does with the fixed code. I think this is because the priority of the ball in score-mode is not being explicitly tested for. The second link I have seen. It was my misinterpretation of what was being said that caused the error. To summarise, I was changing the priority of the ball in scoremode if the priority bit was set. I'm fairly certain I have it solved now. Once it's confirmed that Circus Convoy outputs correctly, I'll create a specific test ROM to make sure I don't regress in future. Thanks for your help!
  7. So, the ball had lowest priority on the right hand side of the screen but high priority on the left hand side of the screen. This is wrong and would account for what we see in the screen shot. I've changed it and it passes all regression checks. I'll wait for James to confirm that Score mode is enabled and post a new binary.
  8. That's interesting. The ball has the lowest priority in score mode according to Stella. How on Earth did I miss that fact?! Haha @ZeroPage Homebrew Can you confirm that 'Score' mode is on at the point the Giraffe is being drawn?
  9. Okay. Where in the source will it be do you think? on edit: TIA.cxx
  10. Looking at my implementation. The ball will have priority over the player sprites when (a) the priority bit is set or (b) when scoremode is on and we're in the left hand side of the playfield. So either the priority bit is set or the scoremode is on for the bug to be visible. So either my priority assumption is wrong or the emulator thinks priority or scoremode is set when it isn't. I can't believe the latter, but I can believe the former. This is the code that decides pixel priority. As you can see, the TODO suggests I wasn't 100% happy but couldn't find any test cases that contradicted it. This is an "optimised" version (branches culled). The unoptimised version will be in the Github repository. I'll dig it out. Maybe I made a subtle mistake.
  11. It does. The problem with Gopher2600 at the moment is that you can't flip to the debugger mode from the play mode. So you have to play the game in "debug mode" which is inherently slower because of the longer loop. But yes, it would be a help if @ZeroPage Homebrew could post a Stella screen shot with debug colors.
  12. Yes. I was thinking that. The test binary attached to this Stella issue is the best test case I know of for priority issues and Gopher2600 passes that. https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues/58 I would guess the problem pixels are from the ball so I'm guessing it's something to do with that, possibly vertical delay as you say.
  13. Thanks. It was a long shot but worth trying.
  • Create New...