So we all know the dome contacts on CX40's wear out over time and are
not the best to begin with. Many have come up with various solutions including
this same one I'm about to show. This will show you how to remove the old
domes and replace them with mini tactile button momentary switches.
As you can see in the pictures below, you have to make some cut lines on
the pcb traces to acomidate for the width of the switches. It's not that hard
just don't cut yourself! First remove the clear plastic strip covering the pcb
and the dome contacts. Clean off any extra adhesive left on the pcb. If you don't
getting all don't worry it's not the end of the world.
After making these 5 cuts to the U,D,L,R and Fire contacts (red is cut line, blue is new
bridged conntection in photo) you will have to bridge the orphaned side of the cut to the other
side of the connection needed for each direction and fire. Again, it's not super hard to do just be
true and confident when soldering. You can use any small piece of wire to do this. I suggest a solid
core strand but even braided will work. Just be sure it's of less height than the contact itself and you might
want to tin it with solder first.
After making these new connections and before closing up the joystick you will need to cut
1/8th of an inch off the contact points of the internal white plastic joystick actuator that goes
inside the CX40 boot. Again, not a big deal, just don't cut too much and don't cut yourself! Remove
the spring from the fire button as you won't need it. On the fire button orange cap you only need
to remove about 1/16th off the center contact pole. You can also solder the clasps on the wires
for a more secure connection if you choose to, not needed but worth the extra minute of your time
to do so. I've had joysticks in the past where one has come loose over time. This makes sure
that can't happen.
Close it all up and now your CX40 will be noticably more responsive and clickity
If you want to get real fancy you can print out a new cover for the pcb but it's not
required. I did so just because. I started by tracing and scanning the old clear one
and edited it with gimp to get a nice template which is 2.49 x 3.30 inches.. That includes
a small overhang on each side that can be folded over or trimmed. Or if you have a die
cutter just set your machine to cut and the negative paces will be cut as expected.