I recently found an Atari 130xe in excellent condition (EU - PAL version, never used but without original power supply), but ran into a problem:
1. All graphics tests run fine - no artifacts, GTIA is from early releases and looks like it's okay.
2. All system tests run OK.
3. To load programs I use SDrive2 (sdrive-arm) disk emulator, and this is where I start having problems - most games do not load, or they load but do not work.
- garbage on the screen after loading;
- images only in the first line of pixels, the rest of the screen is black
- cracked/hacked games are loaded and I can see some hackers intro/welcom screen with fancy graphics and credits, but when the actual game should start - black screen or artifacts
- the game is loaded, and even works, but instead of a part of the sprites - garbage - as in the picture below, instead of the character - a vertical line of garbage, but the game works and the character can move.
- for some games, I could not find a single working image - I tried all the variants I could find (atr, xex), a couple of dozen, but none of them worked 100%
- at the same time(!), I still can launch some games - and they work perfectly, no any graphics or loading issues.
- today I got Sophia2 and tried to install it instead of the original GTIA - unfortunately nothing has changed, I see the same problems with games.
Do you have any idea what could be the reason?
P.S. Most of ATR/XEX roms marked as [US] but my Atari is EU(PAL) - but I can't find any EU/PAL rom for 400/800/XL/XE platforms And some of this [US] games work good.