IGNORED

some people have asked why i hoard commons

PressureCooker2600

sometimes i get asked why i want another copy of Berzerk when i already have 15.

sometimes i get asked why i have so many copies of space invaders, combat, etc.

basically the answer is two-fold.....

i do it for posterity's sake.....cause i know sometimes these carts will end up in a dumpster somewhere and thats just WRONG.

I also know that someday....someone could appreciate some of these wonderful games and would take care of them like i have....and they would make wonderful starter sets..

its more of the first reason than the second.....especially with activision games

people also tell me of the AA donating.....i already know of that and plenty of people are already donating so i dont think my small collection of commons would help as much.....cause i know other people have collections of combats and pac-mans into the 50s and 60s....so id rather keep mine

well that was a weird topic.....maybe ive had too much mountain dew already today....

Lay nine of your 2600 cartridges in a 3x3 grid. Most of my collection of 180 plus 2600 carts is stacked up in a 3x3 grid like that. It sits on the shelf in my closet. It is easily accessible, but out of the way.

The ones that take the most space are the M Network games, since they don't stack worth anything, and the Starpath games which are tucked away inside an old skool cassette carrying case.

Of course, I do have some of the games just lying around...

Seriously, though, a complete collection of loose 2600 titles could probably fit into one of the largest U Haul boxes, or it could fit comfortably on a six foot shelf provided you stacked the carts two or three layers deep. My shelf has enough room for such a collection (although I don't own one).

Your 3,000 Berzerk games also fit well in those big blue metal bins you find in the alley. Oops, did I say that? :evil:

I don't want to get rid of commons, either. I would like to start a classic gaming group in my area some day and I would like to be able to have some commons to turn people on to them. I have 192 games. Just like you, I do have duplicate common carts that I have not culled. So that number includes 5 Pac-Mans and 4 Combats. :D

I prob have 170 *different* carts. I have them on one bookshelf, stacked in sets of 12, sorted by company, 6 sit in my game-changer thing, and another 6 sit in a small box next to the console, close at hand. I could prob easily have 500 carts on this one small bookshelf and still have room to shuffle the stacks to look for games.

I have a lot of shopping to do....now that I see how many cards I can store.

i do it for posterity's sake.....cause i know sometimes these carts will end up in a dumpster somewhere and thats just WRONG.

Well, I'd certainly agree it would be better if the cases could be sent to Albert so he could turn them into Strat-O-Gems carts.

Otherwise, while I in some sense agree with your general sentiment, the number of Combat carts manufactured exceeds by so much the number of people who will ever want one plus the number that will accidentally get damaged or destroyed, that even if 75% of the Combat carts that were manufactured were junked they would still be extremely plentiful.

To be sure, such attitudes can be dangerous if not tempered by at least some caution. Many old British televison shows no longer exist because after the BBC copyied them to film and sent them to the BBC's international-sales office it had no further use for the tapes (actor's union rules restricted shows to being broadcast twice within the UK, so any further broadcasts would have to be overseas); the international-sales office junked many of the films since it thought that--if needed--they could simply be recopied off the original tapes. Either policy (recording over the tapes or junking the films) would have been fine absent the other, but since nobody made sure the material they were destroying wasn't the last copy, many of the shows are believed to be lost forever (occasionally some will show up here and there).

Another thing to consider: imagine that you found a note:

Greetings. We know you like Atari stuff. We have just discovered in our newly-acquired warehouse one hundred pallets each containing 1,000 loose-packed Atari 2600jr consoles. According to records attached to them, they should all have been tested and working in 1986, and there are no signs of environmental damage. We will need to use the space four weeks from now, and thus cannot store the units beyond that time, but we would be more than happy to have you take them away so we don't have to hire a trash hauler. Ten pallets should fit in a standard trailer, so ten trailers should be able to handle the entire lot. -- Your friends at (some local warehouse facility)

Assuming you could tell the note was truthful, what would you do? Could you find a home for 100,000 2600jrs within a month? Storing them yourself for as long as it took to get rid of them wouldn't be totally impossible--you might even be able to find someplace to keep the whole lot for under $100/month if you didn't mind the transportation cost of getting them there.

Even if all you wanted to do was give the units away free for the cost of shipping, do you think you could even manage that? I'm sure someplace like Best Electronics would jump at the chance to get a pallet or two for the cost of shipping; conceivably some vendors might even accept a truckload (the shipping cost for a truckload probably wouldn't be all that much greater than the cost for a couple pallets) but I don't think very many would be able to afford the space nor have any expectation of doing anything useful with thousands of 2600jrs.

I would strongly suspect there are a lot more than 100,000 Combat cartridges out there.

If everybody donated their commons to AA or threw them away, they won't be common anymore, who knows, maybe in a few years we will have to rewrite the rarity list.

The number of common carts out there so overwhelmingly exceeds the number of homebrews that Albert sells that he would stop offering money for them long before they became scarce.

As for junking them, I would expect everyone with a system would keep at least one of each common cart they have for it. While not everyone with a system will have all the common carts, nor is everyone with a system going to want all the common carts.

Finally, if common carts were to somehow become scarce, it would be not be difficult to make more. The supply of 6507 and TIA chips is fundamentally limitted; the supply of carts is not.

I take 'em to the game shop and get 25 to 50 cents credit for each one. So if I purchased 100 Combat carts for $25 shipped, I'd be breaking even by doing that. That would make it all worthwhile to dig through the lot of combats to find the lone Pac Man!

I don't keep commons at all. I list 'em here once, and then I haul 'em in.

Don't worry friends there are a few folks that might be able to one day help bring the rarity of Combat up from a R1 to a R2. It might take till the year 2075 but it *could* happen... one day... well maybe not... there is a damn lot of Combats out there but I will stand strong and do my part to help out the cause as I am sure the rest of those in the on going battle to raise the Combat rarity will also. Together we can make a difference. :grin:

EDIT: Support your local Atari Combat Troops.

Edited by Shawn Sr.