IGNORED

Diablo-look a like possible on ST

Zeptari

I was looking around in the 8-bit section and came accross this:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88809

Seems like a really hot topic!

I'm sure something like this could be done.

What do you guys think?

-Rick

The ATARI ST has Rogue by Epyx and a few roguelikes, Larn, Hack and Nethack, probably more.

Rogue by Epyx has a graphical interface, most roguelikes use ASCII characters only, but are incredibly complex.

There is a graphical version of Nethack which looks similar to Epyx' Rogue. Nethack is far more complex than

Diablo. For example, you can polymorph yourself into a monster or you can polymorph your pet. There are

hundreds of creatures and thousands of items, good and bad (cursed) ones.

Technically, the ST could do a 3D isometric Diablo-like game, there are a lot of isometric games like Cadaver.

Lord Chaos

The real question in my head is: why?

I think it is possible, but I dunno what speeds we can achieve and how good the result would be.

Such a project is big and requires the attention of lots of people dedicated to completing it (just making a isometric engine in a week doesn't mean that the game is complete). Musicians and artists and level designers are required, plus coders worth their salt.

So yeah, it's possible, but who will take on the task?

(besides, personally I think that diablo sucks!)

ggn... i mean coding is fun... doesn't matter if you like D or D2... ;) in my STE days i havent played immortal or rogue. i was more into dungeon master/dragonflight/amberstar so i am not aware if there are any action RPGs on ST(e) except of Gauntlet.

Coding is fun, no doubt about it! But personally, doing a conversion of something I don't like wouldn't bring good results ;). My point was that to finish such a project it will require very dedicated and motivated people to work at it for months and for no reward other than they did it.

• 3 weeks later...