IGNORED

AY-2-POKEY

miker

Here are some tries to play AY/YM music on XL/XE. The player was done by Swiety and it is at its alpha stage. Thus it's a bit limited, and doesn't play some effects (e.g. sid/digidrum and other timer-based features).

Here are some songs to listen either on emulator or real stuff.

What do you think about it?

• Like 1

Here are some tries to play AY/YM music on XL/XE. The player was done by Swiety and it is at its alpha stage. Thus it's a bit limited, and doesn't play some effects (e.g. sid/digidrum and other timer-based features).

Here are some songs to listen either on emulator or real stuff.

What do you think about it?

Is this the soundchip emulation of the atari ST?

I think the main thing to work on is getting the player into the right pitch, it plays very detuned pitches.

It seems like a normal 50hz programming (usable in the background of a program), so will the extra features take more CPU time?

@analmux: yes, it is exactly - these are normal .YM files - just uncompressed. The main problem is when playing very different freqs on different voices - the music goes totally messy...

Also, the player is not so new, but Swiety said that he has no time for atari. Maybe he improves it some day. ;)

Yes. It's interesting. :)

But, IMHO, Atari SID player by Swiety is more amazing for me.

And I will be glad if this SIDplayer project will be finished, please.

Some old beta versions of SIDplayer works superb - exists some new version?

Many thanks and greetings to Swiety and his great works with sound emulations. :thumbsup:

The latest available version of sidplayer is 1.00beta. However Swiety also tried to emulate C64's lowpass filter (two other .xex files in the archive). All the works on SID/AY players are stopped for now. If Swiety finds enough time, he may do something more. Enjoy!

Sid.zip

The latest available version of sidplayer is 1.00beta. However Swiety also tried to emulate C64's lowpass filter (two other .xex files in the archive). All the works on SID/AY players are stopped for now. If Swiety finds enough time, he may do something more. Enjoy!

After all, I really wonder, why no one is putting the SID emulation together with the ability of playing 2 Hardsynth voices.

That means: 2 SID channels and 2 Hardsynth channels together.

Remember: Hardsynth don't need much cpu time.... just some timing correct programming!

The SID emulation does the roundup in the tune and the deep notes also.

Edited by emkay

Thanks for version 1.00beta.

btw - I wrote to Swiety a long ago with some information about my tests of SIDplayer versions.

This beta1.00 (also beta 0.97) doesn't play some great SID modules which older version 0.93 played well.

(for example THRUST.SID, ACESHIGH.SID or CHIMERA.SID)

• 12 years later...

Hi!

I've been looking for a way to play YM files on the XL / XE (POKEY) for three days. The original music is created in the Arkos Tracker 2, but has no export options for the POKEY.

I could try to make a player from the music file format of the Arkos Tracker, but I think it's just what Swiety has done.

Is this project still going on?

6 minutes ago, explorer said:

Hi!

I've been looking for a way to play YM files on the XL / XE (POKEY) for three days. The original music is created in the Arkos Tracker 2, but has no export options for the POKEY.

I could try to make a player from the music file format of the Arkos Tracker, but I think it's just what Swiety has done.

Is this project still going on?

Seems you don't know what it all is missing ;)

The best solution would be to have the YM files directly ported to a 16 bit POKEY Tracker, well, if you find one.

It seems easily possible to convert the file data to RMT ( for example) , to have a rather low resource usage.

But then you may encounter the 8 bit resolution problem and the slight detuning in RMT, and no 16 bit support for the main melodic channel, to get 1 to 1 conversions.  

Players that "convert" on the fly were possibly too resource expensive. No problem for some simple game, but it could cause hard times, if a game needs all possible CPU resources.   

Miker did some YM ST conversions to POKEY... I would go for this way (manually converting).

Those SID and YM players take the whole CPU processing time to emulate those sound chips. and a lot of RAM I bet (at least SID). so not sure if that's the way you want to go (for title music only?).

Music is the easiest here to fix in the project as we have enough music guys around to help. but my advice don't waste time at the moment. Just make sure that you reserve a RAM block for the music so you can fit it in later.

If you choose RMT than the question is about sound effects. Again Miker can help you here or Tebe or Tezz et al how to solve that.

Hehe, nectrobumbing rules! :D

I'va managed to dig unpacked AY-player from atari.area server.

However, it hasn't ben developed further and in order to try it, you have to prepare .ym file, unpack it, and attach with binary header from $0800.

Note: it may work only in emus (or with some smart-loader). Sorry for all inconveniences.

Attached one plays TOKI music.

ay_emul.zip

Is possible, for better emulation, use stereo and splice channels ? You will get 4 16bit channels :) L1+L2, L3+L4 and R1+R2, R3+R4 -  it can be very powerful tool for AY, YM and emulation for terrible SID ( Yuck :) ).

It is only idea ;-)

Edited by Poison

All these ideas are very useful to me.

More detail of the problem: the music of the game is in Arkos Tracker format. That program was chosen because the versions for Spectrum 128K and MSX2 have the same PSG chip, and a player available. I have already exported the music to YM format and made a player for 68000, for the Atari ST:

Months later, the ggn programmer made a a direct aks player, the files being much smaller than the YM, which are nothing more than dumps of the YM2149F records, I suppose that they are very similar to the .AY files. As there is also the player for Amstrad, it is logical that its version is being made now (all three computers have the same AY-3-8910 chip).

The music is here:

Because the size of the game is very large, there are only versions for 128K computers, or using an external cartridge (Dandanator), so in our case it would be logical for the music to be made for a stereo POKEY. I still have to do many accounts to see how much RAM it will consume in the XL/XE, so everything is possible. Naturally, the ideal is that it can be played on machines with only one POKEY.

Thanks, @miker and @ivop. I will check your programs.

Edited by explorer
links

If someone plans to make a game for the Atari, OF COURSE it has to run properly with one POKEY.

Using a second POKEY for some enhancement like stereo ... well, no one will forbid this ;)

In theory it should be easy to get the data, because it is build on a dedicated tracker.

Asking the writer of the tracker for a description might not hurt anyone?

On the other hand, simply writing the notes from one tracker into the other, is also possible. The tunes are not that big.

The next problem is to have a tracker that is using a 16 bit channel for the melodic part. the low notes that were used over all , could be reached using 15kHz on the other channels. RMT doesn't allow that.

A native tracker used on the real thing,  could be the solution.  I wonder , if there is one.

Edited by emkay

Wow!

I just discovered that the Arkos Tracker already exports for 6502 with a player for Apple II and Oric (for the same reason: they all have the AY chip).

I will see it, because then the issue is how to adapt the records of the AY to the POKEY. With the code ay_emul I guess it will help me.

@explorer To remake those pieces of music it's better to rewrite then on Atari.

I've downloaded Arkos Tracker 2 and music form Spectrum version, listened to some ingame ones and the, although a bit strange, seem doable. Yeah, not without some tradeoffs, but still.

Edited by miker