IGNORED

UK PAL 7800 - composite video output modifications?

Loccy

Subject line says it all really - do either of the video mods in the 7800 FAQ work on a PAL 7800? Has anyone done one on a UK machine?

Having had the thing open I've noticed there's two points very near the modulator labelled Video and Audio. Is it too much to assume that these are actually exactly what they say, and could I just hook into them to get some video/audio feeds out of my 7800?

(Have been desperately trying to get a decent picture out of the thing all weekend but the poxy RF modulator just isn't playing, given UK TV channels' close proximity to virtually every frequency I can get the thing transmitting on.)

Sorry, it's just occurred to me - I have previously searched the forum for this but most of the existing topics on this subject point to off-site links which are dead. Also - I am not particularly married to getting totally absolutely perfect output. I can barely get a picture tuned in from the modulator, so anything is going to be an improvement.

My Australian PAL 7800 Has a 2 way channel switch at the back.

Switched one way the picture would not tune in properly.

Switched the other way. PERECT picture.

One strange thing though someone has taped the RF cable to the power supply cable.

So the RF cable runs along the power cable.

If I use just a standard RF cable I cannot tune the picture in properly.

The picture will only tune in perfectly with the RF cable taped to the power cable and the with the channel switch, switched to the left.

Hope this helps. But can someone explain why this is so.

Thanks

-RoMNutz-

I made a new S-Video circuit for my NTSC device and I also tested it with the PAL one.

All I had to do was to add a resistor and a diode (else the TIA produces too much distortion which didn't happen on NTSC).

The circuit doesn't use irritating potentiometers and had a slightly better picture than the one I did before.

I'll try to write down the circuit maybe it helps you to build your own one.

Edited by Schmutzpuppe

• 5 weeks later...

One strange thing though someone has taped the RF cable to the power supply cable.

The picture will only tune in perfectly with the RF cable taped to the power cable and the with the channel switch, switched to the left.

Thanks

-RoMNutz-

What does this have to do with a composite video mod?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

-RoMNutz-

That all make no sense at all. Your RF being taped to you AC would make no positive difference in performance AT ALL. If anything it might make the picture worse do to feeback.

• 2 months later...
I made a new S-Video circuit for my NTSC device and I also tested it with the PAL one.

All I had to do was to add a resistor and a diode (else the TIA produces too much distortion which didn't happen on NTSC).

The circuit doesn't use irritating potentiometers and had a slightly better picture than the one I did before.

So have you been successful in writing it down? :grin:

Seriously, I believe I wouldn't be the only one really happy to see the result. (Also because I happen to have the PAL-I 7800 while having a PAL-DK/BG only TV = no sound. :mad: )

So, Schmutzpuppe, thank you in advance for publishing the schematics soon. :lust:

• 3 months later...

Any news on the schematics?