IGNORED

What mods would you like to see on a "new" 7800?

Atari 7800.com

The 7800 only has 4K of RAM.

However, it uses a full 6502 so it could support 64K, depending on the limitations of how the memory map is applied of course.

If it were possible to make the RAM a full 64K then you could use it like a Cuttle Cart sort of thing. While in 7800 mode you load games through the joystick port, then it somehow softkicks into 2600 mode and uses the RAM as cart ROM (or RAM for Starpath, superchip, etc.. emulation).

This would also allow for new homebrews to be higher quality. You'd have enough RAM to store entire screens of blittable bitmap data instead of only a few lines at a time.

POKEYs should still be available in ample supply from Best electronics. You could add multiple pokeys on board if needed and have Tempest-grade audio. Plus High Score Cart built-in.

First and formost I'd love to see a common power supply. I bought a 7800 and the power was shot. So now I have an Atari and no way to play :x :x . I am new to the world of Atari, growing up I was a C64 and Odyssey2 Brat but my roommates got me into atari and now I'm stuck with a pretty much dead system.

SecondlyS-cable or at least RCA plugs would be nice, I love my tangled mess of Y-connectors behind my TV and would trade them for anything.

Just the thoughts of a Newbee, take'em or leave'em :? :?

Shaun

For audio, I just don't think fake stereo is the way to go.

Some record companies in the 60's fooled buyers into thinking

that their records were stereo, but were really electronically

rechanneled mono (fake stereo).

When I hear fake stereo, it sounds like a speaker has gone

dead when one channel is really just for bass. :x

I prefer good ol' mono with my Atari. ;)

Hey-

We have recently started on a project to develop a "modified" 7800 ProSystem that would have a few new features that the normal Atari 7800 and OShea 7800s dont offer.

Justin

Atari 7800.com

Justin,

I really think you should spend your time making good on your previous deals before starting any new projects. You still owe Joe Santulli approx. 5 7800 carts and it's been close to 2 years now.

Yeah, I know all about the reorganization and such, but I would think that fulfilling your obligations would be your top priority.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of good ideas for the new 7800:

- New controllers. The ones that came with the original broke easily.

- more memory to run more games on it.

- A few built in games. I hate running around looking for a game.

- 5200 compatibility. I know it might need another cartridge slot, but..

- 4 controller ports.

Well, I hope these are good ideas. Thanks for listening.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Well first, S-Video out gets my vote...Good quality, S-Video cables and switchboxes are easy to come by. How many of you actaully have component video input on your TV's?

Second, standard power supply, at least a standard plug....I have been blessed with a 7800 power supply and jack that are in fine shape...

I shudder to think of it going out...

I would love an RCA audio out, and if it's possible...a stereo mod, even a simple channel delay circuit would help the sound. I don't really care for 'psuedo-stereo' effects usually, it would have to be done carefully, to not mess up the audio.

• 3 weeks later...