IGNORED

A reality check on the box craze.

homerwannabee

God, I've been wondering why they weren't doing anything up there. I've been staring and staring...

If you stare at them long enough they might start to do a dance!! Or so I have heard. I only own 2 boxed games which I have doubles of loose to play. You guess it: SRIGC & SSTD both mint and complete. :cool:

Edited by Shawn Sr.

What's wrong with buying boxed and loose games of the same title?

I buy nice boxed ones to put on the shelf for display and collecting purposes -- but loose carts just to have and play when the mood strikes me.

I'm not going to crack open a 20+ year old sealed game just to play it. I'll just play a loose cart while I admire the sealed one...

Come on dude, You do remember that the point of video games is to play them not just look at the box on a shelf and say "thats pretty" right? ;)

You also lick the stamps in your stamp collection and drink tea out of your 800 year old China? :P

Cheers,

Marco

Come on dude, You do remember that the point of video games is to play them not just look at the box on a shelf and say "thats pretty" right? ;)

You also lick the stamps in your stamp collection and drink tea out of your 800 year old China? :P

Cheers,

Marco

Yes I do use the fine China but I don't collect stamps ;)

Boxes? Thats that cardboard thing you rip open to get at your game so you can actually play it right? :ponder:

:woozy:

I do play them... after I take the cartridge out of the box and put the box in my videogame cabinet.

I just really like boxes. I saved the boxes to everything when I was younger (toothbrushes, headphones, shoes)

...i'm still mad at my mom for getting rid of my sonic the hedgehog shoebox :x

I keep any boxes I get now. But I don't go out of my way to get CIB.

I can't imagine buying a game and not playing it.

Or having to buy two copies.

Though it would be awesome to have a bookcase full of pristine boxes sorted by company and release date.

Don't know who would really be impressed by that though.

I will throw in on the pro-box side. For me, it's the whole experience, not just the game.

Same here. I'm motivated, largely, by nostalgia and the boxes play a fundamental role in that. I'm in the process of converting my loose collection to CIB. I wish I would have been more pro-box when I first started collecting, it probably would have saved me some money.

I keep any boxes I get now. But I don't go out of my way to get CIB.

I can't imagine buying a game and not playing it.

Or having to buy two copies.

Though it would be awesome to have a bookcase full of pristine boxes sorted by company and release date.

Don't know who would really be impressed by that though.

Agreed. I've always been in touch with my inner game geek, and I've got to be able to play my collection. I have boxes, but I don't go out of my way to obtain them. I would like to get a few to decorate the walls of our game room, when we finally get around to completing it. :lol:

If you think the price of boxed NTSC games has gone crazy, R7 and R8 PAL games have started selling in excess of USD 300 in some cases. Thats double the going rate of a lot of NTSC boxed R7 and R8 games!

Great....now I'll never find a MISSION SURVIVE :x :x :x

post-9102-1169168892_thumb.jpg

That's BOXED games that are going for so much. Loose PAL games are still very reasonable.

Lets see, what else goes for MORE in the box.....

Old toys, action figures (granted, they are on card), matchbox cars, dolls, board games, china sets (storage cases more correctly named), DVD's, just to name a few

Classic gaming for me is more than the bleeps and bloops. My basement is a shrine to all that was innocent, fun and creative in the 80's. The art, the smell, the garish colors, the shapes and lines of the consoles, the look of arcade machines. Besides, loose carts won't look like this on a wall.....

C

post-571-1169212916_thumb.jpg

not mine :ponder:

from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=ADME:B:SS:US:1

First of all let me state that this is a show off auction. If you have the moolah to spend on this sucker and want to buy it for 4 Grand, be my guest. Also, when I got this game back in May I paid $280 on Ebay for it. Since then though there has been a huge box craze that has swept over the Atari 2600 collecting community that has made this games worth a lot more than this. The last time Rescue Terra I was up for auction this game sold for $400 plus shipping which was $20 since the guy lived in France. This was over 4 months ago. Since then none has shown up. I did think about making the price $1,000 but I realized that the way the box craze is going someone would be crazy enough to take me up on this, and if I sold it I know that there would be no way on Earth I could ever get it back. I also made it this price to make a point. As far as I know there is probably less than 150 boxed games that are in collectors hands at this moment. If you compare this to the other two major childhood collectibles this is extremly rare. An Amazing Spider-Man will average four to five grand. There are over 1,000 Amazing Spiderman #1's that have been graded. If an Amazing spiderman #1 was to show up in this condition I would guess it would hit $50,000 easy. Same thing goes for the Mickey Mantle 1952 Topps baseball card. A badly shaped 1952 Topps Mantle would probably go for $4,000 to $5,000. A Mantle in this shape would probably go for $30,000 to $40,000. I truly believe that about 10 to 15 years from now that this game will be a steal at four thousand. As far as the game itself is concerned this game has generally been reconized as a very fun game to play. Yes there are certainly other Atari 2600 games that are just as rare and even rarer, but among those games there are only 3 or 4 that are rated among collectors as very fun to play. This game happens to be one of them. Finally I believe that Video Games is an art form and have a place in our collective history that ranks right up their with comic books and baseball cards. The only reason that video games are not as valuable is because this is a relatively new hobby that still has a lot of room to grow. So although this is a showoff auction, this is also a statement auction as well.

Also if for some odd reason this actually does sell. Serious buyers only please and I only accept Paypal and immediate payment is required. I also will only ship in the United States Have a great day:)

{emphasis added by poster}