IGNORED

FA: BMX Airmaster Atari version

jnew

Just as a few other releases, the PAL version is simply not THAT rare. It's at best a 6. It comes up on eBay about 12 times a year at least, and I know a few AUS's who find them several times a year. The NTSC version is probably a 10. I actually doubt whether it exists. Anyone?

I actually know a few people who have Ikari.

As far as PAL BMX Airmasters, how many Mr.Do's Castles do you see on eBay vs. how many BMX Airmasters? I see a PAL BMX every month, at least, often boxed.

PAL rarities in US guides are screwed up. Gas Hog, Master Builder, and all the Bomb games are MUCH easier to find in Europe, let alone Germany, in PAL format. They are more like rarity 3-5 in PALland. And the PAL people (like most people) quote US guide rarities. Feh!

Yes, we do try to distinguish PAL/NTSC rarity. In some cases we have entries for both PAL and NTSC games, same title, different rarities. In other cases we simply haven't gotten around to that title yet (we're concentrating on unlisted titles first before adding all the games that are found in both PAL/NTSC). Unfortunately, sellers often don't discern and just look at the higher rarity like you said. At some point we need to find someone with an NTSC BMX and have them dump it - then we can determine the video format and prove it.

Now that you've brought this up, we'll add a PAL entry for BMX with a lower rarity. If you see any other glaring PAL/NTSC variances, let us know.

I think the ROM of BMX Airmaster that you have, already is the NTSC version. I'm not sure if it came from the TNT or the Atari cart though, or if there is a difference between these versions at all. And while I agree that the HES/TNT PAL version of this game is not that hard to find in some parts of PAL-land, I don't think that the Atari version is much more common over here than in NTSC-land. So you'd have to differentiate between these versions too.

As for PAL rarity in general, I think it would be pretty difficult to get an acurate rating for many of the non-common games. The local rarity differs even more than in the USA for some titles, since Europe is splintered up into many different countries. So collectors from different parts of Europe will give you different impressions about cartridge rarity in their area. And the Asian and Australian markets were pretty different from the European one as well.

And a US view on PAL ebay might get you a different rarity rating for some games, but not nessessarily a more acurate one than the US view on PAL trades got you.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Man, you guys aren't making it any easer. In regard to the ROM, what I meant was that I would like to actually dump an Atari label version and check it. As you noted, I have no idea which cart our current ROM came from, even if it is NTSC.

Since we only (at this point) differentiate rarity based on video format, we might say the PAL BMX is a 6 (for example), even if it is a 10 in Holland. It's still a 6 in PAL format, we don't differentiate rarity among countries. We do try to indicate where a game is primarily found, so this entry might indicate Australia as opposed to Europe. It certainly isn't an exact science! I think if we can indicate a general notion of common, rare, and extremely rare, that may be the best we can do. At this point, I'm more interested in getting more scans of European/Brazilian/Pirate titles.

Well, the whole rarity thing is overblown. With eBay ads the way they are, and rarity primarily used for the sake of greed, rarity has less meaning.

Instead of overestimating rarity, I agree with Alex's statement of sorta minimizing rarity where appropriate. Because there shore are alot of carts I've never found, but that doesn't make them NR(Never Released?) or '10's.

Of course, a few titles are just about never seen- anywhere- for sale or in someone's collection. But when BMX airmaster is conspicuously available on eBay from Australia quite regularly, calling it '10' or 'UR' (whatever that means) adds even less credibility to rarity.

With eBay as an international marketplace, regional rarity has somewhat less meaning. If the cart is readily available, in your country, or abroad, then it is readily available, get it?

Sadly, as cash has become a primary motivator in classic gaming, some half of the community has a specific vested interest in selling classic gaming things at or well above market value- that is, they are vendors. In some ways, it sorta takes the fun out of the hobby for me. Although it is nice to have things readily available. And on message boards like this, there are alot of for sale posts- and almost none of them are deals- or any better than you could do on eBay.

-ian