IGNORED

How do you organize your collection?

atari2600land

Hmm. Am I the only one who organizes by catalog number? i.e.: Combat CX 2601, Air-Sea-Battle CX 2602, etc...

I have my 400+ loose games filling a dozen of those 14-game holders plus a few other oddball gameholders I've picked up over the years. Also have a couple of the Atari 8-game holders with the pushtabs. My XONOX single-enders fit well in the spot designated to hold manuals.

Currently I have Sears titles intermixed next to their Atari Counterpart, i.e Combat, then Tank Plus, etc. Companies are seperate, but likewise organized i.e Dragster AG-001, Boxing AG-002, etc.

If the product number isn't obvious, then I alphabetize it, until I get to companies with 1 or 2 titles, then I fit those in wherever they'll fit together( I don't like to seperate games of the same company ). M-Network, etc. I put all together. I found some game holders that are deeper than average, so these longer games fit them better.

Most of the boxed games I have are homebrews and I stack them together. Depending on space available I have put the game cart that has a box in the respective catalog order with the other loose carts, and put the empty box away with the other boxes. I don't like gaps in the catalog numbering so I have bought some of the repros available only to fill in those holes. :ponder:

I also have a stack of dupes, including blue Activision, etc opposite my main collection. As well, I have a stack of games I'm playing recently next to my Atari console.

Ironically, I only have about 2 dozen Colecovision games and they are nested inside my Atari game center in no particular order since I'm not actively collecting them.

One of these days I'll actually get a decent camera and share pics of my collection I've only talked about for the last 4 years. :)

Weston :cool:

By company, alphabetical by title, also by label type if applicable. Homebrews and repros separated from the rest.

Like so

post-5887-1169344172_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1169344183_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1169344194_thumb.jpg

I love those drawers, keeps everything nice and neat, easily accessible (I can't stand cart stacks) and dust free. ;)

Boxed stuff follows the same order more or less.

I do 'em alpha by company, and then within company, alpha by title. 'home brew' companies are in the mix too (so hozer games are in h, xype games are in x, etc.) repros of games that didn't get released go with their original parent company (so looping goes into the coleco stack, secret agent into data age, snow white into atari, etc.)

I just throw them in a shoebox, though I do keep the 7800 games separate from the 2600 games.

Good man

I second that, well sorta

mine go in drawers or my mini cabnient, no order sometimes i match similar carts, but i also separate 26 and 78

I found a huge bookshelf in the dumpster at my storage during the summer, soon i hope to bring it home and covert my collection to it. :) thing is like 7 feet tall :)

Hmm. Am I the only one who organizes by catalog number? i.e.: Combat CX 2601, Air-Sea-Battle CX 2602, etc...

My boxed 2600 games are organized this way, because it looks better to see all the numbers in order.

My loose games are just sort of ranbomly tossed in a plastic storage bin. I do sort of naturally organize by company because every company's games look sort of unique so I like to keep those carts together. But they're not alphabetized or anything.

I used to organize by the color of the cart label. But that was more an anal retentive thing than any sort of system :)

I keep all my boxed titles in CD racks (those kind that are made of wood and generally have dowels for spine support) - depending on rack size, I can get 80-100 titles in each one, and it also makes them easy to move in groups (until I get my game room built, then I will use a wall-mounted shelving system). For loose carts, I use those wooden cart holders that have the flip-up grayish plastic lids.

Right now my games are organized purely alphabetically, but I have decided to reorganize them and group them by company (and then alphabetically within each company) as I think this looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

Mine are organized by company then alphabetically, stored in the same unit that crunchysuperman mentioned from Office Max. I love that storage unit, it cost more but was well worth it. I've broken 2 or 3 drawers in those cheapo ones from Wall-Mart but the Office Max ones have held up wonderfully for the last 3 years.

Edited by Wester

Quote dusk2600

"I found a huge bookshelf in the dumpster at my storage during the summer, soon i hope to bring it home and covert my collection to it. :) thing is like 7 feet tall :)

I can see the headline now,"Atari collector stuck under weight of 1000 games over the weekend."Be careful with that bookshelf. :!:

Edited by dwh