IGNORED

games that scared the hell out of you as a kid?

Shroo-man

I was reading the thread about most disturbing video game moments when someone mentioned a game that scared them as a kid which inspired me to make this thread.

growing up with video games as a kid there is a few that I thought were a bit scary at the time. But the scariest game I played as a kid would have to be Night Trap for the 3DO. I was probably about 10 or 12 or so at the time, I cant remember exactly. I used to go over a friends house a lot and his dad was up to date with his electronics and gaming so it was always exciting going over there and playing games on consoles which were technolgical marvels at the time. He had a giant rear projection tv, playing night trap was just so undescribably scary with the FMV scenes being new at the time it was like a horror movie! still though i played it as much as i could and each game was a very thrilling experience it really added the feeling of being in the game. alone in the dark on the 3DO also was incredibly scary and exciting to play when a kid. when i was younger i got a little freaked out seeing the witch get you on granny's garden for the BBC - lol! :roll:

not a one

since i was watching movies like evil dead and such at 13 and at that time nothing on the coleco/2600/5200/INTV and so on could be called remotely scary

the only thing i can think of that got my heart racing was playing War Craft 2 on the Saturn and just after building 2 farm houses those damn orcs would attack :D

* Rescue on Fractalus - The first time the "false pilot" jumped up and pounded the windsheild, I think I nearly pooped my pants.

* Atari 2600 Haunted House - The first time I approached a door just as one of the enemies came through, causing the lightning to flash, thunder crashes, and the eyes rolled, I nearly pooped my pants.

* Resident Evil - The first time the dogs came crashing throught he window, I nearly pooped my pants.

* Friday the 13th for the C64 - I don't think this was a commercial release (pirated floppy), but the first time one of the campers is killed, the screen suddenly flashes a digitized severed head while a cheapy voice screams from the tinny speakers. Anyway the first time it happened, yup, pooped.

killingtime for the 3DO it gave me heart issues.

YES!killing time,what a creepy game,i have the pc version,its the only game that creeped me out,especially the underground crypts!!!!!!!!! tcht tcht,here boy,tcht tcht,here boy

Hunt the Wumpus on the 99/4a scared me.

You'd wander into the Wumpus' room and it'd bite down on the screen.

To be fair, I was MAYBE 6...

As far as NOW goes... most of the "scary" games rely on shock value. They don't scare me, just annoy.

Now the metroids... THOSE are scary.

* Friday the 13th for the C64 - I don't think this was a commercial release (pirated floppy), but the first time one of the campers is killed, the screen suddenly flashes a digitized severed head while a cheapy voice screams from the tinny speakers. Anyway the first time it happened, yup, pooped.

I was thinking about the same game! The music was also kinda freaky...if I remember correctly. Some kind of cathedral type music?

I've heard people claim a game called Phantom Slayer on the Tandy CoCo was scary. A 1982 first person shooter with a whopping 4 colors. Actually, the sound was what I think did it.

Personally, I've had games where I was ducking all the time but I was never scared.

AVP would probably be the closest to scary I've seen.

Probably the one that came closest when I was young was Ghost Manor. I might've swron the Chopping Mummy was under my bed a couple times here and there, but that's about it.

The only game that's truly scared me senseless (and it still does) is D. When that dude's face appears, that freaks me right straight out.

there isn't really any video game that scared me ........the only toy that ever scared me as a kid was the Jack in the box toy.....hated it. Even though i knew the thing would pop up eventually whenever it finally did it would scare the hell out me.........i think i ended up giving the toy away to a younger cousin. Didn't like it at all!

That's Easy...my Favorite all time game. Chiller...Now by todays standards its a bit tame but when it arrived on the scene, it was the first real game I remember where you got to shoot people and blood was all over and they screamed and parents and church goers called for its banning... that is the Grandaddy of the Horror games if you ask me. I never seen nothing like it before(& neither had anyone else) and I was instantly hooked. Im really not morbid but as a kid, that was about as cool as cool gets in a video game (atleast to me) and it was a bit scary and even scarier wondering if people thought I was a sick-o for playing it LMAO! I remember feeling almost guilty just playing it. Oh it also has to be the 1st game that had naked bodies too even though they were un-detailed, you knew what they meant. Cheers ;)

Hunt the Wumpus on the 99/4a scared me.

You'd wander into the Wumpus' room and it'd bite down on the screen.

Heh, I was playing HTW last week and mentioned to my wife how that used to scare the **** out of me as a kid (6 or 7 as well), to which she proceeded to make fun of me for an hour.

I was moderately frightened of playing Yars Revenge in the dark as a kid, the sound in that game is wicked good for an old cart.

Hands down, Silent Hill.

The only Silent Hill game that didn't scare me was Silent Hill 3.

Fatal Frame 1 and 2 were also very scary.

I gotta admit that Silent Hill could be scary to a kid. I'm to old to have played most of these games when I was young enough to be bothered.

I thought of another game that might be scary to a kid.

I picked up a 2 PC game pack for $10 from WalMart that included American McGee's Alice and Clive Barker's Undying.

Let me tell ya, Undying had me ducking, bobbing and weaving all over the place when the howlers came at me.

Those 2 games were definitely worth the $10!

Edited by JamesD