IGNORED

games that scared the hell out of you as a kid?

Shroo-man

There isn't any game that caused me to lose sleep at night, but a couple have given me some good chills. Haunted House definitely qualifies, especially when playing the higher game variations and the ghost jumps out of nowhere.

The first time I heard it, the music for the Intermediate Race in Marble Madness sent my spine tingling. Atari definitely knew the influence of a decent sound system when putting together their mid-'80s arcade games.

MetroidsAteMyAtari,

Who's that in your avatar pic?

As for games that scared me as a kid, there weren't that many, but Friday the 13th (NES, ugh) scared me a bit.

For modern games, I'd have to say the original Clock Tower always used to scare the hell out of me. Not to mention the first time I played through Resident Evil 2 without a walkthrough, every time something strange came out of nowhere I'd freak out. And let's not forget our old friend Mr. X!

I played Half-Life for the first time in 98 or 99 and that game scared me. Just one thing was scarey(made me jump scarey). Those god damn brain crabs. Those things at the time jumping in the dark and in vents kept me from walking in dark rooms for awhile.

Also AvP2 Marine mission #1 no aliens for first 10-12 min of game play. Plenty of pipes dropping out of the ceiling that were shaped like aliens. Made me jump.

Edited by mnbren05

:ponder: Interesting thread.

That I think of it, there weren't any games that scared me, though some had moments that would cause your heart to jump up in your throat. Early on, it would be the dragons in Adventure, when they'd pop out of nowhere and grab you. Later, the demons in Doom and the Nazis in Wolfenstein would be the cause for a good gasp (and those little alien buggers in Redneck Rampage...what were they, anyway?)

As far as a good thrill, though, I would have to say that Starflight (PC) was the best I had ever played. The gameplay was so enveloping, you would actually forget that you were sitting at your computer desk, safe in your own home. It felt as though you were truly piloting that ship through the forgotten reaches of the galaxy, all alone.

I would be up into the wee hours with nothing but a small desk lamp for company, mining the inner planets of my home system for cash and fuel before venturing out amongst the stars. . .

. . .motion detected at x = -3, y = 4

chills!

. . .motion detected at x = -2, y = 3

. . .motion detected at x = -1, y = 1

pause... more chills!

Alien ship detected!!!!

That was an adventure :cool:

I remember Adventure making me "nervous" when I played the 3rd game for the first time. Not knowing where I was going to find the dragons bugged me.

A friend and I jumped out of our skins when a Mamba snake attacked us for the first time in Gateway to Apshai. I think one would consider it a "startled" type of scared rather than a "disturbed" type of scared.

Alone in the Dark for the PC was very creepy playing it for the first time. I think it's time to scare my kid with that one. :)

As an adult, Realms of the Haunting had a part in it that creeped me out. So did the original Clock Tower for the Super Famicom (translated and played on an emulator).

Sytem Shock 2 had some really creepy moments. Nothing to make me cry out, but certainly gave me the chills.

Fatal Frame I + II are two of the creepiest games I've ever played. (haven't played III yet). Not only do they give me the chills, on occasion, I've actually jumped and made noises which my wife said "indicated true terror". (no I didn't scream like a little girl). Gotta love how it is possible to become so immersed in these things, no?

only one game, E.T. for the Atari 2600 scared the everliving shit out of me as a child. It was a combination of the face from the title screen and the lifeless body when you run out of energy.

ironically, the movie never had that effect on me.

i was also deathly afraid of balloons after seeing "The Toy".

i was a stupid kid.