IGNORED

Atari Cartridge Label Fonts

Albert

/2600/archives/AtariFonts/index.html?SystemID=2600If you've ever searched the net for fonts that match the ones Atari used on their 2600 and 5200 cartridges, search no longer. Thanks to Robert DeCrescenzo, we've put three fonts online that match the fonts used in the original Atari text, picture, and silver cartridge labels. Now if you want to make your own Atari-style labels, you'll have a slightly easier time of it. The fonts can be downloaded here, and if you need to find these fonts later, they can be found in our Atari 2600 Archives.

Glad to see these finally surface! I remember looking for these (in vain) a long time ago. Now all we need is the fonts for the Lynx and Jaguar ;)

Will these work with Macs or are they Windows-only?

They're TrueType fonts, so if Macs can use that, then you're in.

--Zero

Ya know, that Hammerfat font looks like the font that the Tramiels used on the aluminum labels that they put on all their computers (the XE and ST lines and peripherals). However the 'E' and 'F' looks wrong. The center horizontal bar should be centered equally between the top and bottom bars, not offset. Anyone else notice this?

Otherwise, the other letters look great. Thanks Robert!

They're TrueType fonts, so if Macs can use that, then you're in.

Macs do use TrueType, but there's some weird font ID issue that causes most Windows TrueType fonts not to work unless you use a conversion utility (which I do not have) first.

I decided to download them and try them in Photoshop 7 for Mac OS X. I was able to get MumboSSK to work, but the other fonts didn't show up in the font list. I didn't spend a LOT of time with this, so I maybe could've gotten them to work.

Has anyone else tried these fonts on a Mac?

It's pretty funny - I was looking all over the web for these fonts as well. After not finding anything, I decided to look at the fonts I already had - and they were there! :P

I think the Ergoe font is used as well in the 7800 Carts and the late (red label) 2600 ones? I'm not sure about that one :?

I was looking for these because I wanted to make authentic-looking labels for some of the burned prototypes I should be receiving Shortly from Voltman3 (Asteroids, Super PacMan, Millipede, Track & Field, and Stargate)

Again, thanks for the kind words :)

Bob DeCrescenzo

Yes many thanks to Robert DeCrescenzo for providing the fonts :D Now I can create my instructions manuals for my various hardware items like I wanted to.

I personally opened up the fonts in my font creating program and renamed the font names. That way I can choose "Atari 2600 Picture Label" font instead of trying to remember MumboSSK.

I can't wait to get the fonts Eras Demi Bold and Eras Light as well for the Atari box fonts. ;)

If you've got an older MacOS, TTFConvertor works damned well!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to work with 8.6, and I haven't found any others. I haven't tried just dropping the TTFs into the Fonts folder, but... I'm a little scared to do so.

If anyone knows of a nice PC TTF -> Mac TTF convertor, please speak up!

Bauhaus is actually the font that was used for the first-generation Atari cartridges.

Eras was used for the silver label games.

Kabel was used for the Sesame Street CCW games.

However, now that we're in the digital age (remember, these fonts existed before there was desktop publishing) there are tons of "rip-off" versions of all of these floating around... Mumbo is a rip-off of Eras, and Hammerfat is a janky version of Bauhaus.

Buying these actual fonts unfortunately costs good money from type foundaries, such as ITC and FontHaus.

Anyway, I love typography, and just wanted to set the record straight there....

Bauhaus is actually the font that was used for the first-generation Atari cartridges.  

There are at least two lowercase fonts used.

The 1st gen carTs have a connected lowercase e with a straight line whereas 2nd gen text label games (CIRCA 1980) like space invaders switched to a diagonal connector on the e and other letters that leaves a gap (looks like Mumbo).

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...ftwareLabelID=3

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?Sof...wareLabelID=462

There are at least two lowercase fonts used.

The 1st gen carTs have a connected lowercase e with a straight line whereas 2nd gen text label games (CIRCA 1980) like space invaders switched to a diagonal connector on the e and other letters that leaves a gap (looks like Mumbo).

You are right, there were two variations. The basic font, however, is still Bauhaus.

There are Macintosh utilities available that will convert ANY PC font into a Mac font suitcase.  Search versiontracker.com for TransType or TTConverter.

I have had problems with those in the past. Do they work reliably for you?

Any OS X utilities?

TTConvertor used to work wonderfully on OS 7.1, except the occasional font would "break" it.

But I couldn't get it to work on OS 8.6, and I've had no real incentive to upgrade to OS 9.

I haven't tried TransType myself, so am curious about that one...