IGNORED

A couple of Intellivision comments/question/whatever

Dauber

1) I think my Intellivision is really flaky...it's really become kind of bad in the past few days....scrambled graphics after a while, etc. At first I thought it was limited to a couple of games since for the longest time a couple of games would spazz out but others would have absolutely no problem at all....but the graphics are getting garbled now only after a few minutes. Supercat gave me some good diagnostic advice, but the problem is I can't get to any of the chips to check 'em out because the shielding is actually soldered in place, so I can't remove it. :/ Just for kicks, last night I took the cover off and basically took out the shielded motherboard, and I played "The Dreadnaught Factor" for about two hours with no problems whatsoever! At first I was hoping I could put a heatsink or two or a CPU fan in it somewhere, but with the casing close, there's NO ROOM! Is it possible the extremly tight fit is causing things to overheat?

2) Is this a terribly common problem with Intellivision? Part of me wants to just give up, throw out the console, and sell off my dozen or so games, but another part of me just wants to get a replacement console...

3) Speaking of which...man....I'm really addicted to "The Dreadnaught Factor"....

4) On Saturday we were talking about Intellivoice games, and we were wondering whether there are any other Intellivoice games besides "Bomb Squad," "Space Spartans," and "B-17 Bomber." Any more??? MLB Baseball doesn't count, as the (very gravelly!) voice synthesis is part of the game itself....

3) Speaking of which...man....I'm really addicted to "The Dreadnaught Factor"....

MWHAHAHA! ;)

4) On Saturday we were talking about Intellivoice games, and we were wondering whether there are any other Intellivoice games besides "Bomb Squad," "Space Spartans," and "B-17 Bomber." Any more??? MLB Baseball doesn't count, as the (very gravelly!) voice synthesis is part of the game itself....

The full list of published & unpublished games is here:

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/...dits/voice.html

You're missing TRON Solar Sailer and World Series Major League Baseball (not to be confused with MLB). The only problem is that the World Series game required the ECS keyboard module. Good luck finding one at an affordable price. :(

1) I think my Intellivision is really flaky...it's really become kind of bad in the past few days....scrambled graphics after a while, etc. At first I thought it was limited to a couple of games since for the longest time a couple of games would spazz out but others would have absolutely no problem at all....but the graphics are getting garbled now only after a few minutes. Supercat gave me some good diagnostic advice, but the problem is I can't get to any of the chips to check 'em out because the shielding is actually soldered in place, so I can't remove it. :/ Just for kicks, last night I took the cover off and basically took out the shielded motherboard, and I played "The Dreadnaught Factor" for about two hours with no problems whatsoever! At first I was hoping I could put a heatsink or two or a CPU fan in it somewhere, but with the casing close, there's NO ROOM! Is it possible the extremly tight fit is causing things to overheat?

2) Is this a terribly common problem with Intellivision? Part of me wants to just give up, throw out the console, and sell off my dozen or so games, but another part of me just wants to get a replacement console...

The problem you are having is a very common one with the origanm INTY model 2069.

These units were notorious for overheating.

It really is hit and miss, being a huge INTY fan, I wouldn't advise ditching the whole thing.

Try and pick up the Super Pro System (aka the Model 3, not to be confused with the Intellivision 3).

Question re: Intellivoice already answered.

A few other good games to try are Tron Deadly Discs, Burgertime, Snafu, Utopia and if you can get your hands on it, Diner.

Yea--my Intellivision gets super hot as well, though it takes quite a long time for issues to spring up related to overheating. I remember nearly getting burnt as a kid touching the metal on that thing.

I don't own an intellivoice, but I've played with one before and that thing is friggen awesome. I often wonder why it didn't take off.

I second Burgertime and Utopia...those games are a total blast. I love Astrosmash as well, though got so good at it that I basically would never die.

What about the "System III"???

Same thing as the Super Pro System.

Exactly.

IIRC, the System III was called the Super Pro System when it was bundled with Super Pro Football.

Sold alone, the console was known as System III.

It resembles the original INTY in shape and style except that the top is black plastic instead of woodgrain, and it has an LED between the Power and Reset buttons.

Thats you best choice for a hassle free INTY console, IMHO.

Exactly.

IIRC, the System III was called the Super Pro System when it was bundled with Super Pro Football.

It resembles the original INTY in shape and style except that the top is black plastic instead of woodgrain, and it has an LED between the Power and Reset buttons.

Sadly my System III has serious issues. It will not play any Intellivision made carts but oddly enough will play most third party games.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause that and what might be done to rectify the situation?

Exactly.

Sadly my System III has serious issues. It will not play any Intellivision made carts but oddly enough will play most third party games.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause that and what might be done to rectify the situation?

My guess is that it's something corrupted in the exec. I've never heard of that particular problem, but that would be my guess.

If thats the case a replacement console would be in order.

World Series baseball is awsome, it also takes advantage of the Intellivoice unit, as well as requiring the ECS computer unit. The voice adds a whole extra dimension to the game.

I only had two games in the old days for the computer module, World Series Baseball, and Mindstrike, both of which are two really fun 2-player games.

As far as units I would say the Intellivision II is the best of them all, because of its smaller size. It doesn't play 3 or 4 of the early Coleco games, but aside from that its a nice little unit.

As far as units I would say the Intellivision II is the best of them all, because of its smaller size. It doesn't play 3 or 4 of the early Coleco games, but aside from that its a nice little unit.
I am not so sure my thumbs would agree.

Agreed. Not only are the Inty II controls horrid, but the system isn't as compatible as the Intellivision and Intellivision System III. Problems range from intentional disabling of third party software (Coleco got hit the hardest) to timing issues with sound effects that cause them to be played back incorrectly.

If you're going to get a new Intellivision, the Inty Sys III is your best bet.

I am not so sure my thumbs would agree.

Agreed. Not only are the Inty II controls horrid, but the system isn't as compatible as the Intellivision and Intellivision System III. Problems range from intentional disabling of third party software (Coleco got hit the hardest) to timing issues with sound effects that cause them to be played back incorrectly.

If you're going to get a new Intellivision, the Inty Sys III is your best bet.

I have all the INTY incarnations, and as I stated above, I feel the System III is the best.

The only reason you'd want an Inty II is if you wanted to use the System Changer, which is compatible only with the Inty II. (Unless you do a circuit board modification.)

Exactly.

Didn't the III also have built in Intellioice capability?

Didn't the III also have built in Intellioice capability?

Nope. The Intellivision 3 was supposed to have built-in voice synthesis, but it was never released. The Intellivision System III (aka Intellivision Super Pro System) was just a plain-jane Intellivision with a sharp new look.