IGNORED

Any more new 7800 games in the works?

birdie3

I wonder what's wrong with the graphics converter I made.

It's not perfect but it does a good job for me.

Is it to hard to understand/use or is the basic approach wrong?

Personally I like the idea to use my preferred image tool instead of using a stripped down painting program.

I got it all fixed now Matthais, no worries. I'll send you the BIN.

Same here. I have mostly used text files (with numbers and letters to draw the shapes) and a perl script or c programs to convert them to binary.

For modes similiar to the 8-bit computers I usually use font editors for those initially and write something to convert the format as needed.

Count me as another text file + perl user. That 320B mode has some nasty bit mapping.

So far I haven't had to do that with ColecoVision or Genesis, since the Coleco is just a direct binary-to-hex conversion in my head, and the Genesis is one nibble per pixel, which is as easy as you can get. I'll probably end up doing something like that for the maps on my RPG if I ever get to the point of creating new maps.

How do you guys get it to work?

I always thought that it was impractical to convert "the other way".

I never figured out a good way for it.

Let's say that you have a bitmap. It's very small (4 bytes long when converted), and then 8 pixels high.

The final representation will be:

ORG $F000

dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF ; (first line of gfx)

ORG $F100

dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF ; (second line of gfx)

ORG $F200

dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF ; (more gfx)

ORG $F300

ORG $F400

ORG $F500

ORG $F600

ORG $F700

dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF ; (last line of gfx)

// Of course, this may be inverted.

But, this is wasteful for small graphics-- there's 252 bytes of wasted space per page.

I tried to think of if there was a cool way to represent data and then "flip it" during compliation with a smart parser.

Something like this:

ORG $F000

eightlinebitmap flower.bmp 4, 8

This would translate to something like

macro call, bitmap image, length, height

Of course, this requires a hell of a smart compiler for code, and some excellent macro processing.

Not being able to figure it out, I just went "meh". For big graphics, it just wasn't possible.

So, how are you guys getting around that issue? Tons of small graphics tied together for a given line?

-John

P.S. If I look like I don't know what I'm talking about, please understand the general gist. :) It's been awhile since I did DLL programming.

I was just talking about the bit mapping.

For the actual scanline mapping, I hacked up a bunch of macros which used multiple SEG directives so that the data was in the "natural" order in the source file, but in the 7800's bizarro-world order in the resulting binary. And I could do it a sprite at a time, too.

I've got an idea of my own that I'm thinking of trying. And yes, Shawn knows a few things about that, but it is not the game he's been talking about.

The reason I haven't said anything to more people was listed above. I didn't want a bunch of folks asking about it when I've got life situations to deal with in addition to learning a new language and programming in it.

I've got an idea of my own that I'm thinking of trying. And yes, Shawn knows a few things about that, but it is not the game he's been talking about.

The reason I haven't said anything to more people was listed above. I didn't want a bunch of folks asking about it when I've got life situations to deal with in addition to learning a new language and programming in it.

I forgot about yours, so that makes 2 I guess.

Uh.. Cool. Certainly it must be difficult to make the time for this sort of thing but it sure would be nice to see a brand new game for the 7800. I totally understand that some people may not want to say anything until their projects are finished.

I assume this is similar to the Trotter 2600 cart?

The obvious answer is always the right one.

I think it's time Walter (gambler172) tells everyone about this cart as I am having a very hard time keeping the details to myself as I am so excited about this project.