IGNORED

Tapping into a wired network wirelessly (help!)

Emehr

I live in the same building where I work. The downstairs has 5 computers on an ethernet LAN (the router's in the basement and is not wireless). I live upstairs and am curious how to go about getting my Wii (and DS for that matter) onto this network.

Option A: get a USB wi-fi dongle for one of the PCs on the network. My concern is signal strength. Not sure how powerful those things are.

Option B: get a wireless router and tap into the wired router in the basement (is this even possible?).

Option C: are there any other options?

I'm usually pretty tech-savvy but when it comes to networking, I'm happy to get my own two computers talking. :)

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Wow those were some quick replies! Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll hit Best Buy and do some wireless router pricing. I'll have to put it in the basement. Any ideas if I'll have any trouble with the signal passing through two floors? (they're wood)

Option B: get a wireless router and tap into the wired router in the basement (is this even possible?).

Sure. Just plug an ethernet cable into a port on both routers. It has to be plugged into one of the (usually 4) ethernet ports, not the cable/DSL port.

It doesnt need to be a crossover cable? just a regular network cable?

Im thinking of doing the same thing moving my wired router to the back and buying a new wireless for DS access

Sure. Just plug an ethernet cable into a port on both routers. It has to be plugged into one of the (usually 4) ethernet ports, not the cable/DSL port.

It doesnt need to be a crossover cable? just a regular network cable?

Yes, just a regular ethernet cable. A crossover cable is only for hooking up two computers directly where there is no router/hub/switch involved.