IGNORED

Something wrong with my 360

xenomorpher

I was watching a DVD on my PS3 and it froze on a part and I had to restart the movie. It did it again and I wiped the disc clean and put it in my 360. It froze at the same spot and decided to skip the part of the movie and turned off the console. Now when I turn it on it flashes three red lights and the upper right is the only one not on. I disconnected everything and plugged it back in and it won't work. I lost the manual and receipt. What now?

Well thats just wonderful. I don't even have the receipt either. How much will this probably cost? I only had this for about 10 months too.

I don't know. Did you try everything suggested?

Yes I did. I tried three times, and I'll try again off an on for a day or so. If it doesn't work I'll give them a call. This is the first time I had a console crap out on me. I'm just sick in my stomach and really mad.

Not trying to Crap on your parade or anything but with no reciept how can you prove you have only had it 10 months?

Even without the receipt they can see the manufactered date with the serial. It is unlikely that there is a large gap between those two dates.

It was manufactured January and I forget what day it was. I'm probably going to have to pay either way. I'll look around for the receipt because I know I didn't throw it out.

Not trying to Crap on your parade or anything but with no reciept how can you prove you have only had it 10 months?

Even without the receipt they can see the manufactered date with the serial. It is unlikely that there is a large gap between those two dates.

It was manufactured January and I forget what day it was. I'm probably going to have to pay either way. I'll look around for the receipt because I know I didn't throw it out.

Maybe, maybe not....the 360 that broke on me was made in Feb and I bought it in June. When the guy on the phone asked when I got it, I told him 'sometime in June' and that was good enough, but I had reg. it with MS right after I got it.

After you got it, did you reg. it with MS? If you did that should be good enough.

Edited by bruser_inc

Just got mine back from being serviced. Since I didn't have it registered he asked when I got it. I gave him the month since I couldn't remember the exact date and that seemed good enough for him. Interesting enough when I called about another problem related to a disc he mentioned that I was still under warranty until Dec. 07 which is a year from when they sent me a new console so I'm guessing if they send you a different console rather than fixing yours you get a year on that one as well, unless they screwed something up in my favor. I have nothing but good things to say about xbox tech support. They priority mailed me a new game disc in two days when my 360 wouldn't read the one I had.

I didn't register it, but hopefully they'll send me a replacement. I looked everywhere for the receipt and I can't find the manual either. For some strange reason its the only manual that I can't find, I still have all my other ones. But I still have the box and nothing is in it. Another thing. I used my debit card to buy points online and I have a bunch of different gamer tags for my friends. Where they saved to my hard drive?

All profiles are saved to the HD unless you have a Mem Card hooked up and saved them to that. Don't send the hard drive or faceplate in with your xbox. If they send you a new xbox it will have a faceplate on it so +1 on the faceplate. When you call 1-800-4-myxbox just make sure you tell them you bought it within the last year and you'll be fine. You don't need the box or manual or receipt. I have none of those things. They'll UPS you a box with a pre-paid sticker inside to return it to them. A week or two later you'll get it or another one back. Super easy and hassle free.

Any update on this xenomorpher?

I thought of you when I read the IGN review:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/760/760269p1.html

Looks like MS replaced it based on the production date in that case.

Hopefully you can get this straightened out ASAP.

It took them roughly about 2 weeks to get me a new console.

I sent mine back early on because it always froze when playing PDZ

Any update on this xenomorpher?

One of the members here works for MS and asked support to send a box to me to pick up my console. He of course asked me before he did so. I got a confirmation E-mail from them too. I hope things go well. They are using UPS and I really don't like them. They tend to be rough with some packages and caused me a lot of grief in the past.

Didn't know that. Thats cool :)

I had the exact same problem with my launch day 360 on January 20th. Called Microsoft, talked to a helpful english speaking customer service rep and had a return box the following Wednesday. No charge to me. I thought for sure I would have to pay to have it fixed but I read something on this site that Microsoft would repair any 360s made before 2006 for free so I gave it a shot. I get my 360 back today, its been a long two weeks. :)

What fails on these units?

Wrong, right or indifferent, here's what "my friend" did and it worked.

His 360 was a standard unit that had an added hard drive. All of the profiles and XBLA games were saved on the hard drive. At almost exactly one year to the day of the launch, it started have "three red light" problems. He could disconnect everything, power down, reconnect and power back up. That would get it running for about 5 minutes before it "gray screened". The screen would turn totally gray and the red lights would kick in.

Of course the 360 has been taken very good care of and he still had the box and the receipt. But there have been too many horror stories online about people sending their box off and it taking weeks to get back or problems with account resolutions.

He went to Wal-Mart one evening, bought a brand new standard 360, took it home and only swapped the consoles. None of the new paraphernalia was kept. Just a simple disconnecting on an old dead 360 and reconnecting of a new 360. He didn't even swap out the power cords. Only the consoles were swapped. Total time was about one hour.

Everything was repackaged in the new packaging, including the dead 360. It was taken back to Wal-Mart, described as non-working and his credit card was credited with the purchase price. It was a $0 transaction other than gas to get there and back.

Profiles and XBLA games are all linked to the console and the hard drive. When he tried to play any of the games, they would all show as "Trial" versions. Very frustrating at first, but then he noticed if he logged in any other account, the games were playable. Then by playing the game with the primary account while the secondary account was logged in, all of the games returned to normal for the primary account.

Total time to do everything: about 2 hours. Results: A November 2006 console that should be very more stable and reliable than the launch date consoles. And it's not a refurb, but a new model.

ò¿ó smiling_to_360.gif

Many may disagree with me but I believe that the 360 has to be one of the most "fragile" systems ever released. I've read plenty of posts on differing forums with people having problems, while my firsthand experience is that I'm on my 3rd system, my son is on his 2nd, and a good friend is on his 3rd. Even today, I logged onto the official MS Xbox 360 forums and the first 10 pages of the General 360 Forum contained many posts from people sending away for their coffin's or waiting for their refurb unit to arrive back to them.

I know, I know... there are plenty of people who have experienced no problems at all with their 360, even the launch ones. And I know that more people will post complaints than kudo's. And I'm not trying to start a "post" war about this issue or rag on MS by accusing them of releasing an inferior product. I'm just saying it sure seems that compared to the other previous and current gaming systems that the 360 is one touchy, touchy machine.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Many may disagree with me but I believe that the 360 has to be one of the most "fragile" systems ever released. I've read plenty of posts on differing forums with people having problems, while my firsthand experience is that I'm on my 3rd system, my son is on his 2nd, and a good friend is on his 3rd. Even today, I logged onto the official MS Xbox 360 forums and the first 10 pages of the General 360 Forum contained many posts from people sending away for their coffin's or waiting for their refurb unit to arrive back to them.

I know, I know... there are plenty of people who have experienced no problems at all with their 360, even the launch ones. And I know that more people will post complaints than kudo's. And I'm not trying to start a "post" war about this issue or rag on MS by accusing them of releasing an inferior product. I'm just saying it sure seems that compared to the other previous and current gaming systems that the 360 is one touchy, touchy machine.

Mendon

I 100% agree. I personally don't know anyone that has not had at least 1 replacement. I can't think of anyone on here (AA) that hasn't had a replacement or at least those who have had one for more than 6 months. Who knows what the deal is but I don't think it's very cool.

Now I will jinx myself. I have my release day console.

Edit:

I wanted to add that last week I think it was, MS released financial reports. One thing I noticed was they stated losses were higher because of extending warranties and repair/replacement costs for the 360. I don't think it's a problem that they are trying to hide. I do think that they have handled the situation very well and do what it takes to get the situation resolved.

Edited by Starscream