IGNORED

Atari 800 and 130xe

Rick

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to connect two Atari computers to the same set of drives without having to unplug everything when I want to change them. I always have an Atari 800 (my favorate model) hooked up, but with it's low memory, sometimes I have to hook up an Atari 130xe with extended memory to run later programs. I don't think a split I/O cable was ever made, because I have never seen one. I tried e-mailing CSS to find out if the Quintopus would do this for me, but I haven't heard anything from them, are they still in business? Any help would be great.

I've often wondered if simply plugging a seperate cable into each port of the drive could serve both computers as long as neither one was powered up at the same time. Then you could have everything hooked up, and just power up the system that you want to run. In that case, you just need another drive cable.

Does anyone know if that is possible?

I've often wondered if simply plugging a seperate cable into each port of the drive could serve both computers as long as neither one was powered up at the same time.  Then you could have everything hooked up, and just power up the system that you want to run.  In that case, you just need another drive cable.

Does anyone know if that is possible?

Yes, I'm almost positive that is possible. I've never actually tried, but I do know that it doesn't matter which SIO port you use on the back of the daisey-chainable devices, so as long as only one computer is on at a time, if you have the SIO cables, it should work. Although it's also a simple pocedure to splice SIO cables together, That's basically the set-up I have with my 10502PC and SIO2PC cables. I use one at a time by switching which the RS232 cable is plugged into, so i don't see why this wouldn't work with two Atari's as long as only one is powered at a time. Actually though, it might not even matter that both are turned on as long as only one is accessing any given device at a time. :ponder: