IGNORED

Self-imposed minimums?

Chris++

Reading Adrian's story about being a kid and playing Pac-Man gave me an idea for a thread that might prove kinda fun.

Does anyone have certain games that they can't stop playing until they reach a self-imposed "par"? It could be a score, or, probably more often, a certain level or screen that has to be reached.

For instance, I won't stop playing Beany Bopper (underrated game!!) until I get to the last type of "falling" character, and I can't call it a successful Cosmic Ark session unless I've gotten at least to the first Pac-Man-looking type of aliens.

CF

I realize this is really, really pathetic, but I can't stop playing Minesweeper until I successfully clear the medium board in around 30 seconds. And several years ago I stopped marking the bombs, in an attempt to increase the challenge. I no longer remember how to play marking the bombs, and when I try I confuse myself!

Thanks, Cassidy.

I kept the original post VCS-specific, so the thread didn't get moved, but I absolutely CANNOT stop playing coin-op Robotron until I pass the bouncy-ball level with the red robots (I'm sure they have real names, but I can't remember them); and I won't leave Joust until I've passed the second pterodactyl screen.

CF

Right now, I've been burning a lot of time with Activision titles. My Stampede score keeps growing, and as I get better, the least that I'll accept before shutting down keeps getting higher. Right now, I can't shut down until I hit 4,000. On Chopper Commander, my minimum for the moment is 16,000. And on Ice Hockey, I'm not happy unless I've beaten the computer at least once.

Funny thing is, As I get better at a game, I have a tendency to hit reset if I foul up early in the game, such as if I lose a life carelessly. Part of me feels guilty about doing it...it's like I should press through and try to do the best with each individual game. The cynical part of me argues, "Don't be crazy. You'll need that life later when the going gets really tough!" :ponder:

I usually work the other way... I'll play until I die for the first time, or something like that. However, Solitaire on the computer I have to win at least one hand (although I usually stick around for more than one). I'd like to say the same for Shanghai on the Lynx, but I usually just play until I've gotten at least 100 tiles.

--Zero

With me on Atari 2600 Asteroids I must roll the score at least once, but usually I do it 2 or 3 times or until I get tired of playing it (Is it just me or does this game never end??!).

Atari 2600 H.E.R.O. I must at least earn 5 lives total, or get beyond level 15 which even happens first.

Atari 2600 Video Pinball I must try to get near my recent score of 74000+ or higher.

Game.com Solitare I must win at least one hand, otherwise I'll play for about an hour till I give up. Still trying to best my score of 211, timer usually runs out first though.

Hmm.. that's enough isn't it? :D

I realize this is really, really pathetic, but I can't stop playing Minesweeper until I successfully clear the medium board in around 30 seconds. And several years ago I stopped marking the bombs, in an attempt to increase the challenge. I no longer remember how to play marking the bombs, and when I try I confuse myself!

my record for clearing the beginner level was probably around 7 seconds. But if you can clear the intermediate level in 30 seconds or under, my hats off to you! That's amazing :)