IGNORED

Why is PC Engine/TG-16 stuff so expensive?

ApolloBoy

No kidding about the prices! My younger brother didn't even buy me a tg-16 game for christmas because of the prices and my brother gave me rare games in the past like pengo for the 2600 and power strike for the sms. I am not able to get a turbo booster plus yet, or a turbo booster yet due to it not being on ebay every week and when it is costs over $30.00 dollars. I only have 4 games for it since I bought in June 2006 and part of it is do to the prices.

As someone who bought a tg-16 last year, I got a reason for it. Back when the tg-16 exist from 1989 to 1993 in the states: it was not a popular system compared to the genesis. The games are hard to find and that is what is causing the price of the games along with the fact in the last few years the tg-16 is getting more popular then it was back in the day. The turbo duo price was cause by the short time the duo came out and by the time it came out, the tg-16 was dying in the states. Some the cd game prices were caused by the price the turbo cd was back when the turbo cd attachment was released for the tg-16. The turbo cd attachment, If I remembered right, it cost more the saturn did when it was first launched.

For stuff being expensive outside of the states, it is caused by the fact there is high demand for the games. Japan is the only place, I can think of that the tg-16 or known as the Pc engine is popular back in the day. When you have a good amount of people who interested in games, they want imports in some cases and in the case of the pc engine, it caused people in Japan and rest of the world want the same games. In the case of the pc engine, you have a lot of great games that stayed in Japan, like that Castlevania game for Pc Engine cd. When that happens there is a big demand for the game.

The tg-16 in the states back in the had a problem of where to get the system. At the time, you could purchase it out a catlog, but you couldn't it at a place like target. You have to go to a toy store or a place that only sells videogames and computer games at the time. This is what caused the shortage of excess to them in the states and the lack interest partly.

What caused the system being more popular was the internet is terms of getting roms and people finding out there was good games for the system along with people discovering that Castlevania game the pc engine had in the late 90's. In the meantime, the market for the tg-16 games is getting tougher along with the fact thanks to the internet, the prices increased along with the virtual gaming console now.

This is what happens when demand is more then supply and this why I am not getting a turbo duo unless it is $100.00 and it works fine along with the fact turbo cd is about as bad in price as a turbo duo and the system 3.0 card for the turbo cd is so expensive do to rarity.

Edited by 8th lutz

The tg-16 in the states back in the had a problem of where to get the system. At the time, you could purchase it out a catlog, but you couldn't it at a place like target. You have to go to a toy store or a place that only sells videoganes and computer games at the time. This is what caused the shortage of excess to them in the states and the lack interest partly.

In Canada here the TGX-16 was distributed at Radio Shack, which had franchise stores in many shopping malls. I even recall playing a few CD based games on one of their strore displays.

Yes, TGX-16 stuff is very expensive here too. As pointed out, it's likely a supply/demand thing. The TGX-16 has quite a few games unique to the system, and is IMHO one of the gems of the classic era.

I've been lucky in that I've had a few good finds such as a boxed system and 26 games at a garage sale, and a Turbo Duo find at a thrift. I've been able to build a decent collection from finds in the wild and trading on these type of forums.

The tg-16 in the states back in the had a problem of where to get the system. At the time, you could purchase it out a catlog, but you couldn't it at a place like target. You have to go to a toy store or a place that only sells videoganes and computer games at the time. This is what caused the shortage of excess to them in the states and the lack interest partly.

I dont know about Target.. but I got my TG16 from a department store. Although I forget the name of it, it was on Saratoga road somewhere in Santa Clara :). Same place I got my Genesis from later on.

Edited by NE146

TG-16 stuff has never been easy to find. For me, I haven't found ANY TG-16 stuff (not even a controller pad) "in the wild" for at least six or seven years, aside from a collector selling some of his import PCE games at Bussey's Flea Market last summer. (and I don't care enough to buy an adapter for imports, which he didn't have for sale anyhow) I also never got a working CD unit.

I still wouldn't mind having the module for my Laseractive. Hell, even those were sold out before the Laseractive got dumped for clearance, and since then have always been much more expensive than the Sega module. (I have two or three Sega modules and a Karaoke module.)

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I agree.... When I first started collecting TG stuff less than a year ago... it wasn't that bad. Well... sort of. Someone actually mentioned it is a cheap system to collect for. I don't really tend to think so. I see TG stuff and Jag stuff as being high on the price scale right now. I ended up getting some trades... and even a good lot off of craigslist (I think it was 10 games still in the jewel cases). But beyond that... for the most part things in the TG world seem to be on a rise. On a side note... I did happen to get a replacement TV Tuner recently for only $25. Not too bad.

I ended up winning an extra Air Zonk as well... I think I need to work on my trade bait some more!

I don't think that it's really that expensive at all.

The bottom line is that TG-16 wasn't very popular, making everytihng kind of rare. As for PC-Engine, it's all imported from Japan. That comes at a premium.

So your average TG/PCE game might cost more than your average NES or 2600 game, but I think that's to be expected.

Edited by Blur2040