IGNORED

How to waste the memory of your CC2 MMC Cart?

Schmutzpuppe

For example you could use the attached file.

It is just 512kb of digitized music well enough for testing purposes.

Chad created a new banking file which enables you to use the full 512kb of the CC2 (the banking file is also attached).

The bankswitched window is from $8000-BFFF the last one is mapped to $C000-FFFF.

Pokey is also enabled but the "demo" only uses TIA.

I have only tested it with PAL if there is no problem with the signature than it should also work on NTSC.

Many thanks to Chad for the effort and the quick response.

78POK512.zip

SOFTCELL.zip

Finally got a chance to try this and.....

OMG! A music video on my Atari 7800! It's not just musical notes guys. My 7800 is singing to me!!!!

:)

You tried it on NTSC?

Is this only for the CC2? It won't work in prosystem EMU even if I add a header to it. I don't have a CC2 but I would still like to enjoy this tune.

I think none of the current emulators can handle rom of that size (yet)

I can only guess that it's tained love right?

;)

OMG! A music video on my Atari 7800! It's not just musical notes guys. My 7800 is singing to me!!!!

You tried it on NTSC?

Is this only for the CC2? It won't work in prosystem EMU even if I add a header to it. I don't have a CC2 but I would still like to enjoy this tune.

;)

This isn't fair, I want to put it on a real cart but I don't have any 27c080's and I don't think my burner would support them even if I did :_(

You tried it on NTSC?

;)

Yes, it works perfectly.

Allan

;)

Yes, it works perfectly.

Allan

Lucky bastard :(

Other than the eprom. Can a cartridge be built to play this? Why not have one of us with the right eprom burner burn you an eprom?

Allan

Thanks Schmutzpuppe, and Chad - this is awesome!

It's got me thinking... Now that we've had the ET Book Cart as an unconventional use of old technology, could the next step be a 2600 album release? I'd love to see a cart of Paul Slocum tunes with some abstract visuals. I can see it now ... it comes in a cheesy 70s LP cover - "Switched on VCS! - 8bit disco remixes of all your favourite 2600 hits!"

Thanks Schmutzpuppe, and Chad - this is awesome!

It's got me thinking... Now that we've had the ET Book Cart as an unconventional use of old technology, could the next step be a 2600 album release? I'd love to see a cart of Paul Slocum tunes with some abstract visuals. I can see it now ... it comes in a cheesy 70s LP cover - "Switched on VCS! - 8bit disco remixes of all your favourite 2600 hits!"

Iron Butterfly should be first IMO. Take a guess what song to go with some fun visuals. :grin:

Chad created a new banking file which enables you to use the full 512kb of the CC2 (the banking file is also attached).

The bankswitched window is from $8000-BFFF the last one is mapped to $C000-FFFF.

I have only tested it with PAL if there is no problem with the signature than it should also work on NTSC.

I was just trying to make a signed version to work on NTSC 7800s and I was unable to get it working. It seems the reset vector is pointing to the Pokey address space? :?

I tried playing with it to get it to work but no luck. Maybe someone else can figure out what's up with it.

Mitch

Supercat, I can't follow the technical details, but I'm guessing this is the 'hint' you referred to!

I was considering perhaps trying a joystick-based version of the DDR concept.

This would elevate the album concept to a much higher level. I hope this idea proves feasible! The keyboard controllers would be a closer analogue to the DDR floor pad, but can they register simultaneous keypresses? If not, they only give as many inputs as the joystick would (9 digits vs. 8 directions + fire button) and many people wouldn't have keyboard controllers...

Iron Butterfly should be first IMO. Take a guess what song to go with some fun visuals. :grin:

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? HELL YEAH! Then all I'd need for the perfect retro-psychedelic experience would be to find some of that Pac-Man acid that was going around in the '80s...

Or were you thinking of something else?

I'm really impressed by the high quality of sound on recent homebrews. I would never have thought it possible for the humble VCS to make such sounds back in the day. Were the sonic capacities just underutilised during the heyday due to memory constraints, or have there been significant hardware/software advances that have opened up new possibilities?

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? HELL YEAH! Then all I'd need for the perfect retro-psychedelic experience would be to find some of that Pac-Man acid that was going around in the '80s...

Or were you thinking of something else?

You got it right. That would be amazing. No more acid for me though, I did enough in my day I should be dead so I kinda lost intrest in "Aunt Cidny" quite a while ago. I'll just get the cart and drink a few beer with my friends while playing cards. :)

I signed the last (16k) bank of the file which includes the code but it looks as if this is not enough.

The reset vector points to $f000 (reset vector was $FFFC - $FFFD right?).

I was just trying to make a signed version to work on NTSC 7800s and I was unable to get it working. It seems the reset vector is pointing to the Pokey address space? :?

I tried playing with it to get it to work but no luck. Maybe someone else can figure out what's up with it.

Mitch

I signed the last (16k) bank of the file which includes the code but it looks as if this is not enough.

I don't see a signature on it, that area is empty.

Mitch

Mitch

You are right and I am an Idiot.

I just signed the A78... :roll:

I made a new one (untested).

SOFTCELL.zip

Mitch

You are right and I am an Idiot.

I just signed the A78... :roll:

I made a new one (untested).

Thanks, that one works.

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...