IGNORED

Tubes for Genesis

Bruce Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

I still need to get bombs and conneced groups working, but for that I need to add a state variable for each player.

In the meantime, I've finished the basic dropping mechanics and added the "bomb request". And I added a title screen with a way to select one or two players, something I never got around to in the 7800 version. (Hmm, player 2 can hit the start button with 1 Player selected... I should do something about that.)

Since I don't have game-over working (that needs the state variable too), there is currently no way to get back to the main menu other than by hitting reset.

tubes68_002.bin

• 2 weeks later...

New version with bomb tiles actually exploding stuff, and tiles falling down when they lose their support.

Now it's time for me to implement the most important routine, the path tracer. Then I'll probably switch back over to my RPG to get the ColecoVision sound routines ported over.

tubes68_003.bin

Tile path tracing finally works, so this version finally meets all my minimum requirements!

This is the first Genesis homebrew code I've written that has surpassed its previous version, and I'm glad to finally reach this point. I've got a long list of stuff I still want to tweak before even making it look pretty or supporting multiple levels, but I've got some other stuff (like the sound code for my RPG) that I need to shift over to now, so I'll probably take a break on this for a while.

Changes are:

* title screen shows version number and copyright message

* tracing for fully-capped tile groups now works

* scoring now works (loops = triangle number of tiles looped, bomb = number of tiles destroyed)

* edge caps are set to an interesting pattern which should be rather challenging (these will later change per-level)

tubes68_004.bin

The basic rules (for those who didn't know or have forgotten) are:

* make a completely capped group of pipes to score

* cross pipes don't affect pipe capping of the other pipe in the same tile

* the more tiles in your group, the higher your score (triangle number: 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, etc.)

* use bombs to destroy unusable tiles

* game is over when your new tile gets stuck above the top row

Start button pauses the game

C button rotates a tile

D-pad left/right moves the falling tile sideways

D-pad down moves the falling tile down quickly

D-pad up requests a bomb for your next tile (or cancels the request)

Geez, I've just barely got it working. The 7800 version never had varying speeds. Every level is going to have different speeds, colors, random tile distribution, and edge caps. When I get around to it. And probably background graphics, too. One of the nice things about the Genesis is that it has two full graphics planes.

And the reason it doesn't use a button for the bombs is because it was a port from the 7800 (where I didn't want to require a 2-button stick), and I hadn't actually thought about changing it to a button yet.

Geez, I've just barely got it working. The 7800 version never had varying speeds. Every level is going to have different speeds, colors, random tile distribution, and edge caps. When I get around to it. And probably background graphics, too. One of the nice things about the Genesis is that it has two full graphics planes.

And the reason it doesn't use a button for the bombs is because it was a port from the 7800 (where I didn't want to require a 2-button stick), and I hadn't actually thought about changing it to a button yet.

Hey, no problem; I was just asking, not demanding. :D

• 7 months later...

Hey, no problem; I was just asking, not demanding. :D

maybe we'll see this as a cart.... anyone design a label for it, etc?

• 6 months later...

FWIW I haven't been working on this, but I reached a point in Genesis developement a while back where I decided I need to switch to gcc. Straight assembler was fun, but it got tedious after a while. So when I do start again, getting gcc working will be the first thing I do.

• 1 year later...

So anyhow, it's been a while. But I did get a GCC3 ported and working (with a script, so it's easy for me to rebuild it), and got things set up for making Genesis binaries with it. Then I ported this thing, and changed my recursive path tracer to a stack+loop tracer. The binary has quadrupled in size, but now it's ALL in C, so it should be a lot easier to add new features.

Since I felt I needed to add something, I've added a 120 second time limit and high score display. Hmm, maybe the high score should be shown while playing the game, but the screen is a bit crowded. I'll have to think about it.

tubes_006.bin.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...