IGNORED

Wanted: 7800 that doesn't work with Pac-Man Collection or Santa

Albert

There is a problem with Pac-Man Collection and Santa Simon carts I built do not work in certain Atari 7800 systems. In the two I have access to, both these games work fine. There are also problems with some of the newer 2600 homebrews (Medieval Mayhem and Lady Bug, for instance) that I'm sure is related. What I need is to borrow a 7800 from someone whose system has exhibited problems with one or more of these games. I suspect the problem is with a particular brand of EPROMs I am using, but I need to do some testingt to confirm this or whether it's something more sinister.

I will pay for shipping both ways and I'll include a free 2600 or 7800 homebrew of your choice when I return the system. If you can help, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

..Al

There is a problem with Pac-Man Collection and Santa Simon carts I built do not work in certain Atari 7800 systems. In the two I have access to, both these games work fine. There are also problems with some of the newer 2600 homebrews (Medieval Mayhem and Lady Bug, for instance) that I'm sure is related. What I need is to borrow a 7800 from someone whose system has exhibited problems with one or more of these games. I suspect the problem is with a particular brand of EPROMs I am using, but I need to do some testingt to confirm this or whether it's something more sinister.

I will pay for shipping both ways and I'll include a free 2600 or 7800 homebrew of your choice when I return the system. If you can help, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

..Al

Hi Al

i am sure,that i have no problems to play the games,because i own all different 7800 systems,so i think,one should work with the carts.When your package arrives,i will check this and will tell you,which systems make problems.

greetings Walter

If this problem will show up with the ROM images on a CC2, I'd be willing to bust out my two 7800s and see if either displays this issue. Let me know, if nothing else works out.

Mine is one of the 7800s that doesn't work with PMC, Medieval Mayhem, or Lady Bug. I've tried all three ROMs with my CC2 and, curiously, they work fine on that. I'm not sure though, if the ROMs are the same build as what's on the carts. :?

My 7800 has the expansion port, if that makes any difference.

If this problem will show up with the ROM images on a CC2, I'd be willing to bust out my two 7800s and see if either displays this issue. Let me know, if nothing else works out.

Mine is one of the 7800s that doesn't work with PMC, Medieval Mayhem, or Lady Bug. I've tried all three ROMs with my CC2 and, curiously, they work fine on that. I'm not sure though, if the ROMs are the same build as what's on the carts. :?

My 7800 has the expansion port, if that makes any difference.

The 7800's problems are with bus timing for bank switch writes on 2600 carts, not the data on the carts. A CC2 is a proper 7800 cart and can use the CLK2 line instead of having to fudge it with an R/C circuit like is needed on the 2600.

They work fine in my DevOS console. It has no expansion port and no markings for one.

If you need to borrow a DevOS machine for a while, Al, let me know.

I have a DevOS machine and everything runs fine on it. I tried two others today, including one with the Expansion port and all the games work fine on it as well. Someone has offered to send me a 7800 with two of the games that do not work, so I should have that soon. It can't be _too_ common as there are only a handful of people who've written to tell me their games don't work. But I would like to try and duplicate the issue myself and try to determine where the incompatibility is. I can't really send out replacement carts to anyone until I know what the problem is (including if it's something I can even do anything about).

..Al

I have the 7800 with the expansion port.My Pac-Man Collection works,but not my Santa Simon. :?

:ponder:

:edit: and Medieval Mayhem fired up as well,so it seems a-ok

Have you tried playing Medieval Mayhem? Mine fired up as well but I couldn't start a game. Pressing the fire button on the paddle would show the game field for a second then it'd go back to the main/options screen.

Lady Bug would black out after the "ROM OK/RAM OK" screen (accompanied by a not-so-pleasant tone). Sometimes it would make it to the title screen but only for a second or two.

Pac-Man Collection! exhibited rectangular graphical glitches at the title screen and in-game. I tried a maze and it seemed to play okay.

I have the 7800 with the expansion port.My Pac-Man Collection works,but not my Santa Simon. :?

Have you tried playing Medieval Mayhem? Mine fired up as well but I couldn't start a game. Pressing the fire button on the paddle would show the game field for a second then it'd go back to the main/options screen.

Lady Bug would black out after the "ROM OK/RAM OK" screen (accompanied by a not-so-pleasant tone). Sometimes it would make it to the title screen but only for a second or two.

Pac-Man Collection! exhibited rectangular graphical glitches at the title screen and in-game. I tried a maze and it seemed to play okay.

Emehr, the problem youre having with MM...is that on the 7800 or 2600? And if its a 2600, what model? (Vader, heavy sixer, etc...)

Emehr, the problem youre having with MM...is that on the 7800 or 2600? And if its a 2600, what model? (Vader, heavy sixer, etc...)

Medieval Mayhem and Lady Bug both play fine on my 4-switch woody. It's my 7800 that's giving me the trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with the two carts was this: if I let the system 'warm-up' (get warm to the touch) for a half hour or more, the games work. They will initially turn on with a crash after the atari logo, or some other glitchy display. When I leave the game running in this glitchy mode and let the 7800 warm up, the games work fine, although its probably not healthy for the system. I've also found that if you have been playing another game and the system is warm, then the warm-up time is much faster. I have had both Santa Simon and Pac man collection running flawless when I have warmed up the system for an hour or so.

• 2 months later...

Last I spoke (via PM) to Albert there was still no fix to the Santa Simon issue, and that was around the end of April.

and IIRC the Medevil Mayhem problem was a very isolated one, Al was going to send me another that he thinks will work. He's probablly been bogged down with the ADV2 stuff...

• 6 months later...
So is there a sure fire way to tell if PMC would be compatable or not because I was thinking about gettin the game but if it won't work then there is no need too. Is there anything other than the 7800 with expansion slot that may have the issue? Thanks.

It will work with 99.99% of 7800s out there. So don't worry about it and just buy the game. :)

Mitch

• 9 years later...

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I just found out about this problem when I tried playing PMC on one of my 2 7800s, and it crashed after the Atari logo screen. It does it on one, but plays fine on my other 7800 which has the expansion port. Has there ever been and update or fix for this problem, or am I just out of luck on getting this to play on both 7800s?