IGNORED

The old sticker-switcharoni trick

deadmeow

If you want to be all self-righteous about drunk-driving, fine. I was making a point.

Sorry, I knew someone killed by a drunk driver. I get a little testy about that issue.

Tempest

As well you should then. I've been victimized by theft on more than one occasion. And I get a bit testy about it. From my perspective, the ol' label switcheroo involved quite a bit of planning to do. It also created a victim in the store itself, who had to give out money for no reason. If someone would end up buying the game with the swapped label or case as has been noted here, you have a completely innocent victim here, the unrelated buyer, who will now have a poor opinion of either the store or the manufacturer, for no reason, and might not shop there again, or buy such products again. It's not a victimless crime, and like I said, it involves premeditation.

I haven't been victimized by label switching, but I did end up with a used copy of Final Fantasy II that was sold to me as new from that same Babbage's store. Somebody played 10 hours into the game before returning it, and the manual was worn.

Babbage's is one place I'm glad went out of business. I repeatedly got hold of used merchandise that they had 'opened to demo'. Sad thing was, they were the only game in town for a long time. My worst experience was buying the 'Sorcerer's Trilogy' only to find that the disks for 'Sorcerer's Appliance' had been replaced with 'Dig Dug' and 'Tapper'. Cool games, yes, but not what I was in the mood for.

This thread makes me wonder how many of my games might not be what the label says. For awhile when I was collecting massive amounts of games I didn't get a chance to test everything. Now I think I will...

Tempest

Don't feel bad about a slight pang of paranoia. When I collected comic books, I could never leave the 'Special Bagged Editions' unopened. I could just imagine all those 'Death Of Superman' bags containing some filler crap like 'Care Bears', or something. :lol:

This thread makes me wonder how many of my games might not be what the label says. For awhile when I was collecting massive amounts of games I didn't get a chance to test everything. Now I think I will...

Tempest

I test everything as it comes in. Mainly that's to identify carts that I need to repair, but occasionally it catches missing discs or NES Duck Ball carts.

I remember in the late 80's when Intellivision saw its rebirth, I was probably about 16 or so, I bought Super Pro Football, which was an incredible game. Anyway I switched the labels on Super Pro Football, and the standard old pack in crap game Poker & Blackjack. I returned the Poker & Black Jack game with the Super Pro Football sticker on it, and got like $45 back at Toys R Us.

I can just imagine the next person who bought that Super Pro Football game at Toys R Us, only to see Poker & Blackjack pop up on their TV screen! What a laugh that would have been. And then their trip back to Toys R Us "yeah someone switched the stickers on the game cartridge" ..... Toy R Us was always infamous for selling damaged used/returned merchandise as "new".

A friend of mine returned like 5,6 a whole bunch games for another system after switching stickers after I told him about my trick. Shortly after, Toys R Us changed their return policy.

Heres another thread where your "friend" stole another game

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=101664&hl=

I am amazed at all the saints on here. A couple years earlier when I was 14, I bought Congo Bongo for the Apple II at full new retail price from Toys R Us. Somehow they didn't have the original box. I didn't think much about it. When I got the game home, and it crashed on the 1st screen, I realized what had happened.

Somebody else returned a defective game, and then Toys R Us sold me a game as new, that was defective returned merchandise. So morally as a junior high kid, I had no problem a couple years later in leaving their sorry asses with a Poker N Black Jack cart. Let those crooks explain to the next customer how a "new" Super Pro Football is actually Poker n Blackjack.

It takes soooooo much courage to rag on my junior high buddy who stole a video game and a Lego.

Grow up. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. :P

If you are "perfect" and want to criticize me, thats fine. Just say so at the start of the post.

Edited by deadmeow

Somebody else returned a defective game, and then Toys R Us sold me a game as new, that was defective returned merchandise. So morally as a junior high kid, I had no problem a couple years later in leaving their sorry asses with a Poker N Black Jack cart. Let those crooks explain to the next customer how a "new" Super Pro Football is actually Poker n Blackjack.

So two wrongs make a right? :ponder: Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

It takes soooooo much courage to rag on my junior high buddy who stole a video game and a Lego.

Actually I'm more curious as to why you felt the need to brag about your buddy stealing a video game, or why you're so upset when some people don't find it funny. Sorry, but we're not 12 year olds (my apologies in advance to anyone on AA who actually IS a 12 year old).

Grow up.

Umm... I'm not the one bragging about stealing and/or ripping off toy stores. :ponder:

If you don't like my posts, don't read them. If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at anybody.

It's not so much that we can't laugh at ourselves about the stupid things we did as a kid, it's more that you don't seem think that there was anything wrong with what you did. Once again, I'm not quite sure what sort of response you were expecting to get. Umm... Good Job?

Tempest

It is usually the hypocrites who cry the loudest...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102006

"So we all know that the TurboDuo doesn't have region/copy protection on its CD's, so I was thinking about trying out some imports that I could never afford normally (ever seen the price of a copy of Sapphire?). My question is can using CDR's in a TurboDuo damage the system? I know they work in the Duo (this is how I played Dracula X), but someone told me that CDR's cause strain on the laser in the CD drive and causes it to wear out quicker. I know that the Duo isn't the most well built system on earth (actually it's one of the most fragile sytems I've ever seen), so I'm a bit warery about doing anything that could cause it harm.

Tempest"

Edited by deadmeow

It is usually the hypocrites who cry the loudest...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102006

"So we all know that the TurboDuo doesn't have region/copy protection on its CD's, so I was thinking about trying out some imports that I could never afford normally (ever seen the price of a copy of Sapphire?). My question is can using CDR's in a TurboDuo damage the system? I know they work in the Duo (this is how I played Dracula X), but someone told me that CDR's cause strain on the laser in the CD drive and causes it to wear out quicker. I know that the Duo isn't the most well built system on earth (actually it's one of the most fragile sytems I've ever seen), so I'm a bit warery about doing anything that could cause it harm.

Tempest"

So you think that downloading roms for long dead systems (which almost everyone here has done) is the same thing as committing fraud against or stealing from a store? Hmm... If I was trying to download and burn games for a modern system you might have something, but as is I don't think the two are even close in terms of "wrongness" (although technically neither one is legal).

Tempest

deadmeow... drop it.

you are wrong in the wrongest way possible.

Tempest is doing stuff that we all do, but don't really consider as wrong. I think these are two different things. Not legal... but who gives a damn. Ripping off people the way you did... I consider that somewhat like shop lifting. There are other issues to what you did as well...

quit bragging about it. You don't see me sitting here bragging that I have an entire NES collection of roms on my computer (that hard drive crashed unfortunately)... yet most classic gamers do have it.