IGNORED

Why wasn't Space War 2000 released?

else

I've been playing this quite a bit lately and you know what -- it's really quite good and a lot of fun!

So why didn't Atari release it? Was the only reason that they were worried it wouldn't hold up well against Battlesphere? If so, that was a very, very bad decision. There's at least half a dozen released Jaguar games that aren't as good as Space War 2000, even in it's present/unfinished state. I think it would have made a very nice addition to the Jaguar's library. It seems like with a *tiny* amount of polishing it would have been finished and ready to go. What a shame.

Well, at least we get to play it now I guess. But still, I can't help but think that releasing it would have helped sell a few more Jaguars.....

Edited by else

Don´t fly into the sun either in one-player mode. You have been warned.

Huh? I've done this plenty of times. All you do is die. Is this not the correct behavior? I assumed it was. Have you experienced lockups or something when you do this?

Edit: Just tried it again to make sure -- and yep all you do is die. What's wrong with that? To me, if you fly in to the sun you SHOULD die...

Edited by else

Hmm. My copy locks up whenever I hit the sun or a black hole.

Well, lockups are seem to be pretty random, so maybe you've just had some bad luck with them. :)

As for black holes, they should inflict some damage on you and transport you to a new random location....

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and throw down the $45 for it.

It's definately worth it. Just don't run into the opposing ship in two player mode or you crash the game. Lots of fun till that happens. ;)

Woah, this games available for $45? Where? I want a copy darnit! :D

B&C Computervisions www.myatari.com

They also sell repros of some games that were never released: Barkley Shut Up and Jam, Brett Hull Hockey. Take a look. I've bought a half dozen items from them. They are very reasonable and good to deak with.

PLEASE NOTE: I hesitate to call SW2K a 'game'. It is as buggy as sin and is NOT complete. What is there looks great, but the AI for the alien ships is weak and no challenge at all.

Here is a review of SW2K that I wrote when it first appeared:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/jaguar/review/R23672.html

Edited by ls650

PLEASE NOTE: I hesitate to call SW2K a 'game'. It is as buggy as sin and is NOT complete. What is there looks great, but the AI for the alien ships is weak and no challenge at all.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think SW2K is a better game than a bunch of the Jaguar's released games. I also don't find it to be "buggy as sin" as you say. Yes, it does crash on occasion, but it's not all that often in my experience. I think it's quite a fun and well done game that also provides an excellent challenge on later levels.

All the other reviews that I can find gave it pretty darn high marks as well....

Review 1

Review 2

Review 3

Even your original review that you point to seems to rate it pretty highly -- I guess you've changed your mind?

Edited by else

Like I said in the review, I think that what is there is great - but what's there is only maybe 60% of a complete game.

I've found that SW2K crashes a LOT when trying to pick options in the menus, so I'd suggest that you pick your options right away on power-up and stick with it. I like to set the enemies to be ''way too fast'' with a closed universe, blasteroids, and a sun.

During actual gameplay the game seems more stable, but it has locked up occasionally, I'd say about once every 20 minutes of gameplay.

Overall I would say it is a welcome addition to my Jaguar collection. If Atari had finished this game it might have been a big hit; as it is it makes for a fun, cockpit-view shoot-em-up for the Jaguar.

And as I wrote in that review 5 years ago, I find it's VERY buggy. I've found that with two different copies on two different Jaguars, SW2K locks up an average of every 20 minutes - and that's if you stay out of the menus as much as possible.

Edited by ls650

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think SW2K is a better game than a bunch of the Jaguar's released games. I also don't find it to be "buggy as sin" as you say. Yes, it does crash on occasion, but it's not all that often in my experience. I think it's quite a fun and well done game that also provides an excellent challenge on later levels.

All the other reviews that I can find gave it pretty darn high marks as well....

Review 1

Review 2

Review 3

Even your original review that you point to seems to rate it pretty highly -- I guess you've changed your mind?

Thanks for putting my review/guide in there (#2)

I love the game, even in it's current state, and as I state in my review, it's definately a good alternative at $45 to Battlesphere (IF you can find it in the first place) at $300-1000. Just the fact that SW2K only requires one console and game to play two player as opposed to two consoles linked and two BS games, you can play SW2K with a friend for $45 instead of $600-2000 with BS!!!

Edited by Gunstar

There's more to it than the original 1970's arcade game, so in that sense a 3D update is a reality, but it's unfinished in the sense that it was supposed to be much more with multiple and multiplayer game modes and presumably upgrades and IIRC a betting and/or rewards system was to have been included from which upgrades and weapons are purchased as well as choosing pilots and different ships, etc. Probably more and different enemies too, but there are at least a half dozen different enemy types in the game now, if you survive long enough to see them. Many game modes are there as it is though, but I suspect some of them would have had more to them as well. My guide lists the modes that are there. But as for a straight head-to-head two player game like the original arecade, translated to 3D, it is there, plus much, much more. The other unfinished parts include final menu/game/option screens and title screen, and general polish. And one can only guess what else. I would think the A.I. might have gotten better, but IF you select harder modes like "way too many enemies" and "way to fast," etc. in the menu options, the A.I. gets difficult quickly.

Edited by Gunstar

For an unfinished title, it certainly was nice and it should have

been released early. I do remember this being around for a while.

Long before the fall. Too many times Atari chose to sit on things or

put them on the back burner. Now I wont try to compare it with BS.

It s a whole different planet form each other. It 's no BS but for a

quick and dirty shooter though, its really cool.

And if someone had the source we certainly could take a look at fixing it up.

Edited by Gorf

Yeah, SW2K had a lot of potential, I like those photon torpedos, they look like the rare earth phenomenon of ball lightning, as well as the fully textured ships that BS doesn't have.

The key word is ships....there are many in BS...there is only one other in

SW2K. Texturing one model on the Jag is not a problem. Another one or

two more and you would see why you dont use t-apping so often.

Then, on top of that, try to pull off even half the AI going on is BS in

Space War. The pilots alone in BS are Harvard compared to the kinder-

garten like play an AI of anything you will see Space War do. Still, both

games are fun.

chugg....

• 1 year later...
PLEASE NOTE: I hesitate to call SW2K a 'game'. It is as buggy as sin and is NOT complete.

Having finally gotten around to trying out SW2K, I've got to wholeheartedly agree with that. It's awesome for a tech demo and a peek at what could have been but I don't see how anyone is actually playing it and enjoying it. :?

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and throw down the $45 for it.

It's definately worth it. Just don't run into the opposing ship in two player mode or you crash the game. Lots of fun till that happens. ;)

Woah, this games available for $45? Where? I want a copy darnit! :D

I bought SW2K off ebay yesterday for $40! :)