IGNORED

Donkey Kong Coleco Tabletop

ewing92

Like anything else, condition determines price, especially on the stickers. DK tabletops are probably the easiest find of the series, get a Galaxian or Zaxxon ;) Anyways other things that matter are the battery door, clean battery contacts and obviously if it works. I wouldnt expect to get much more than $25 unless its exceptionally mint, its far better to keep it as part of your collection. Its one of those things people are drawn to like a lost childhood friend.

oh believe me, i have no intention of selling it, and this might start up something new for me to collect for. the galaxian one is up on ebay right now and was thinking about it, but nah i need to save up some more money first, as i just picked up that genesis collection for the PSP. The stickers are in great shape along with the rest of the system, no discoloring or anythiug, the batteries look old though, very old, do they take any other batteries besides the original coleco ones?

Edited by ewing92

It takes any C cell battery, or the Coleco Perma Power setup, which it sounds like is what you have. Note that the Perma Power look like batteries, but you have to have an adapter to plug them in. I'm not sure, but I believe any 9 volt adapter will work.

Where I live they sold the Pac-Man and Galaxian before any others, so I had those two when I was a kid (actually I had one, my sister had the other). Frogger and Ms. Pac-Man I think are the more rare ones. Wasn't the Zaxxon different than the other tabletops, as was Donkey Kong Junior? I thought there was only the five Coleco Tabletops (Pac-Man, DOnkey Kong, Galaxian, Frogger and Ms. Pac-Man). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Really depends how you define the line, obv the DK Jr. is a Nintendo rebranded by Coleco so thats out but Zaxxon is a different story. It was clearly made by the same design team as the rest but they created a new form and display style (two screens projected onto a mirror to simulate 3-D). I personally would consider it of the line, its like the big Caddy though. Then there are some other Coleco tabletop games that dont feature aracade licenses but none of them have the cabinet design.

Last time I checked Galaxian was the rarest, and perhaps the best to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Some toy company reissued these things recently. I think they're different games but it looks like the same exact casing. I remember seeing a Space Invaders one. I don't know if they made others.

You are probably talking about the Excalibur table tops. The Space Invaders is actually a re-re-re-re-re-issue of a Hori designed Keychain game. Microgames got the rights to distribute it in the US and they appear to have lincensed it to Excalibur. There is also a Frogger table top from Excalibur, which is the same game as the Excalibur handheld game.

The Excalibur table top games do not use the same casing as the Coleco table tops. They used a similar design, but the Excalibur table tops are smaller than the Coleco ones, the joystick is made to look more like an actual arcade joystick with a red ball on top, the buttons are different, and the screen is Nintendo style color LCD with the panel that takes in light and the mirror rather than VFD.

Edited by BrianC