IGNORED

Bally s-video mod

remowilliams

After having great success with 8bitdomain's other video mods (2600,5200,7800,CV) I decided to pick up their solderless Bally s-video mod.

Installation was a snap (except for the case cutting which is always a bit hairy :)) - the mod board is a plugin replacement for the giant RF box. The video output looks great! I give this one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - highly recommended for those Bally users tired of crappy RF :D

For the curious, here's a pic of the mod installed in the unit.

post-5887-1171340620_thumb.jpg

After having great success with 8bitdomain's other video mods (2600,5200,7800,CV) I decided to pick up their solderless Bally s-video mod.

Installation was a snap (except for the case cutting which is always a bit hairy :)) - the mod board is a plugin replacement for the giant RF box. The video output looks great! I give this one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - highly recommended for those Bally users tired of crappy RF :D

How long did you have to wait before he shipped yours.

I've been waiting along time now :x

-Lee

I think it took about a month from order to delivery. Mike is top notch with the products, but delivery times are often slow.

Did Astrocade games use artifacting? My only concern when upgrading old systems to S-Video is that the artifacting no longer works (the Atari 8-bit is horrible when it comes to this and the 5200 has some problems on certain games as well).

Well, you could always recombine the Y/C back to composite ;) Some of the mods like the 5200 one have separate s-vid/composite outputs as well.

I've been waiting along time now :x

-Lee

Ok, mine came... FINALLY!!!! :ponder:

I have a question. Did yours come with installation instructions? Same ol' Mike. Slow in shipping and then expects users to "know" how these things are installed.

I am not sure where to install the wire with the clip.

BTW: Thanks for the picture.

-Lee

Mine didn't come with any instructions.

Here's a pic that Mike sent me of the clip location.

post-5887-1171855130_thumb.jpg

On a side Bally note - I've been toying with the idea of adding a cooling fan to it because of the amount of heat that's generated and the fragile nature of the chips. But I came across a better solution than modifying the system. I've had a notebook cooling 'plate' kicking around for a little while, and figured what the hell might as well try it out. Sat the Bally on top of it, and it works amazingly well. Runs nice and cool! :D

Edited by remowilliams

On a side Bally note - I've been toying with the idea of adding a cooling fan to it because of the amount of heat that's generated and the fragile nature of the chips. But I came across a better solution than modifying the system. I've had a notebook cooling 'plate' kicking around for a little while, and figured what the hell might as well try it out. Sat the Bally on top of it, and it works amazingly well. Runs nice and cool! :D

Thanks dude!!!

The fan idea is a good one. :thumbsup:

I was also going to put a power jack on mine. I hate the power supply getting all tangled up everytime I move the machine as it is hardwired.

-Lee

Thanks dude!!!

The fan idea is a good one. :thumbsup:

I was also going to put a power jack on mine. I hate the power supply getting all tangled up everytime I move the machine as it is hardwired.

-Lee

Just wanted to say, this Video mod is incredible. Makes playing the Bally much more acceptable. Prior to the upgrade, my Bally had the worst RF picture of all my classic boxes (Almost unplayable).

Now if I could get CPUWIZ's multi-cart to behave properly, I'd be in Bally heaven.

-Lee