IGNORED

Broken 5200 Joysticks

JacobZu7zu7

Well, I decided to buy an Atari 5200 from eBay I got a system, works good.. etc. Only problem is the Joysticks, are broken. Are they easy to fix, or do I need new ones?

:ponder:

Easy fix is to glue aluminum foil dots on the keypads. Worked for me for years. Then I bought the new gold dot ones from Best Electronics. Well worth the money. I find the cables end up going bad. Need to figure out a better way to store them so they don't get kinked up.

Well, I decided to buy an Atari 5200 from eBay I got a system, works good.. etc. Only problem is the Joysticks, are broken. Are they easy to fix, or do I need new ones?

ALL Atari 5200 Joysticks are broken. :)

PM MrRetroGamer

Send him your broken ones and a fair price and he will fix them so they work forever and ever.

The guy rox the hiz-ouse.

I have worked with him a bunch of times. He is very quick and very fair.

ALL Atari 5200 Joysticks are broken. :)

PM MrRetroGamer

Send him your broken ones and a fair price and he will fix them so they work forever and ever.

The guy rox the hiz-ouse.

I have worked with him a bunch of times. He is very quick and very fair.

OKAY, thanks for the advice, I'll look into the options. lol, I just checked the internet,

look at this = http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17031&type=mov

It's like how I am now, but I'm not so angry. :D

Buy a Wico or Competition Pro. I prefer the Wico but the C Pro has the Y cable already connected. Do not buy a Wico without a y cable unless youre getting a deal. Cheers

PS> On another note, all my Y cableed Joys seem to want to go Right automatically, is this normal? Is there any way to fix this? Its still wayyyyyy better than a stock 5200 joy. Thanks

PS> On another note, all my Y cableed Joys seem to want to go Right automatically, is this normal? Is there any way to fix this? Its still wayyyyyy better than a stock 5200 joy. Thanks

You need to make sure that the stock 5200 controller is pretty well centered when attached to the Y cable. That should fix your Comp Pro/Wico issues.

The 5200 is one of the few systems that it is pretty much a guarantee that the controllers WON'T work.

And don't let these people fool you, working one one isn't easy. Sure, you can take it apart, useually glue gold dots to the old graphite ones, but, then comes the hard part. Getting all that crap lined up and put back together, and if it's not done just right, the best that could happen is you have to pry it back apart to work on, and at worse, you can ruin some of the parts.

You need to make sure that the stock 5200 controller is pretty well centered when attached to the Y cable. That should fix your Comp Pro/Wico issues.

Thanks a bunch, as it doesnt happen all the time so this makes perfect sense. Thank you

Every one of my controllers works perfectly, although before I opened them up and cleaned the contacts they were flaky at best. It's quite simple to open the case, use an eraser on the contacts, ALL the contacts where the buttons hit and close em up. I did this to about 9 or 10 controllers, pretty much in about 45 minutes to an hour. However, I did just order a full set of gold replacement parts for 1 controller from Best to completely rebuild one and see how it works out.

Every one of my controllers works perfectly, although before I opened them up and cleaned the contacts they were flaky at best. It's quite simple to open the case, use an eraser on the contacts, ALL the contacts where the buttons hit and close em up. I did this to about 9 or 10 controllers, pretty much in about 45 minutes to an hour. However, I did just order a full set of gold replacement parts for 1 controller from Best to completely rebuild one and see how it works out.

Wow , I think I might just try this.