IGNORED

is a complete Atari 2600 related colection worth 1 Million?

homerwannabee

Getting back on topic... :)

i dont think the entire collection would be worth 1 million

In fact i dont even think it would be worth 500,000 even if you put every ntsc,pal,pirate,repo,proto and every store issued display. If every game on atarimania and atari protos was in the mix i dont think it would hit 500,000. And if it did hit 1 million it would probibally a few of you being the only bidders to that highest degree.

And im not trying to bash anyone here, i literally just threw an atari collection away for 102.00 because of 40.00 shipping, imaging how much everygame would cost, it would have to be frieghted. I have lost all sense of value for this market.

Is an entire Atari collection worth over a million? I used to think so, but I'll admit I was pretty disapointed when I failed to do it with this incredible lot: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

I guess it was just an off week...

Maybe if I'd included an autographed 'Night Driver?'

Personally, I don't think so. How many individual items do you think there are? Suppose there are 3000 individual items. To reach a value of $1 million, each of these 3000 items has to average $333.33 each. How many of the rare items are worth substantially over $333? Not enough to cover the hundreds or thousands of items that aren't worth anywhere near that.

OK my meager accumulation is small potatoes compared to anyone who has bothered to put any substantial amount of money into their collection so my opinion is probably of little value. But still, please bear with me.

I don't think one million would be that outrageous. That collection would contain lots of one-of-a-kind items, all kinds of software and hardware prototypes, making the collection itself one of a kind. Also, at that point you have to start considering the amount of time and effort it took simply to have tracked down and amassed all of that stuff. That collection would be more than the sum of its parts.

Sorry, for asking, but I thought the major part of the fun of collecting is building up the collection. Just buying a complete one seems pretty witless. :ponder:

I agree, it would be totally pointless, unless you do it purely for monetary purposes (like opening a museum with an entrance fee).

Sorry, for asking, but I thought the major part of the fun of collecting is building up the collection. Just buying a complete one seems pretty witless. :ponder:

yes i feel the real interest i have is obtaining the games one by one or two or three or four at a time. If i got them all at once i don't think it would be much fun. Its a strange thing its agitating not to be able to get certain games at the moment but the hope of finding them soon makes it fun. But if someone were direct me to a Complete Gauntlet or a complete Qberts Qubes i certainly wouldn't complain! :D

Edited by Atarimania75

Well considering that every piece involved in the collection has little to no intrinsic value, it would only be worth what you could get someone to pay for it.

And nobody is going to dump a million on this stuff, so there's your answer - NO. :ponder: ;)

I agree, it would be totally pointless, unless you do it purely for monetary purposes (like opening a museum with an entrance fee).

What would be the entrance fee at this museum be in order to recoup your $1million dollar investment?

$10 dollars :D , $1000? :sad:

Would you take credit card payment? :roll:

Well considering that every piece involved in the collection has little to no intrinsic value, it would only be worth what you could get someone to pay for it.

And nobody is going to dump a million on this stuff, so there's your answer - NO. :ponder: ;)

yeah, but he didn't mean "how much could you get out of a complete atari related collection", or "how much would somebody pay". I think he means, just if you added up all of the values, how much would it be. :)

Me? i don't know, it could possibly maybe, but it woud take a hell of a long time to figure out.

Edited by ewing92

Since he mentioned all variant labels, you're probably talking more like 15,000 cartridges and that may be conservative. Are we also including peripherals too or just carts? We should throw in all the various units released along with all controllers made.

I think it definitely and easily would be worth more than $1,000,000. And if you acquired all the Atari 2600 games, you wouldn't be bored, just buy the rest of the 50 or so systems out there with all their games. :) Hope you have a warehouse.

Phil

Remember this, the swordquest prize that was out there was estimated at over $25,000 in the 1980's. And if there actually is a sword than this has to be taken into account as well. And what about the PGP-1 by Answer that would probably bring in a couple of sheckles. There are more valuable things then just the carts that are out there that have to be added up as well.

Based on what I have seen, have personally paid and seen others pay, I would think an entire collection would be worth around $500,000 give or take a $100,000. I think Atari 2600 prices have leveled off lately and with fraud and repros, I think prices have actually gone down. The only thing I have seen go up are CIB items, especially higher rarity items.

Based on what I have seen, have personally paid and seen others pay, I would think an entire collection would be worth around $500,000 give or take a $100,000. I think Atari 2600 prices have leveled off lately and with fraud and repros, I think prices have actually gone down. The only thing I have seen go up are CIB items, especially higher rarity items.

Wonder, I only hope I meet up with you one day and see your collection. $500,000 is a lot of dough. I don't know how you do it. You must be a millionare. ;)

Hell I 'd paid to see it ;)

Wonder, I only hope I meet up with you one day and see your collection. $500,000 is a lot of dough. I don't know how you do it. You must be a millionare. ;)

He buys and sells water (seriously).