IGNORED

Resident Evil 4 - did the developers get lazy at the end?

DracIsBack

I'm getting towards the end of resident evil 4 on the GameCube. Overall, I've loved the game, minus that stupid fish in the lake level. Now, though, as I hammer through the island, I can't help but think that the developers haven't gotten lazy. Many of the final parts are very difficult, but also rather stupidly designed. The battle with the other soldier is a lazy, random pressing of buttons. The jump through the lasers is an annoying time killer. And the fight with "it' on those cargo cars that drop is just plain frustrating.

It's almost as though the developers took a holiday and brought in the "should be fired" staff to work on these parts of the game. More annoying than entertaining!

I was roadblocked by the part where the neo-zombies have you trapped inside a rickety two story building. I just couldn't survive the onslaught, and gave up. Hey, I just don't have the patience that I had when I was a kid! Back then, I could sit through frustrating games like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania, screaming all the way, but today I have very specific expectations for my games. They have to entertain me, not put me in handcuffs, tie me to a bed, and whip my naked ass for three straight hours. I just don't find the appeal in that kind of "entertainment" anymore.

JR

Edited by Jess Ragan

I never really thought of this. I beat Resident Evil 4 twice on Gamecube and then again on the PS2. I really enjoyed the game each time, it's probably the only game that I have gone completely through and beat three times.

Now that I think of it, I can see how the first half of the game may be "stronger" than the last parts. All-in-all, RE4 is an amazing gaming experience IMO......especially with the $20 retail now.

I unlocked everything in RE4 but still there are things that bug me. The pressing of X or A when running away from a rocks kills me, my thumb just doesn't move that fast but my indicator does and I have to hold the pad in an akward way to press the button and then dodge.

Another thing is the dodging buttons, they just flash in the screen (professional) and don't give you a chance to even press the buttons.

And why the ***k doesn't Leon walk while shooting? Not running, just walking backwards, not even that. He just seems retarded.

During the game, when you need shotgun and tmp ammo, the games decides to just give you useless handgun ammo.

It's a good game, but flawed. Then again Capcom likes limited controls for expanded difficulty.

Edited by Atari_kid

I was roadblocked by the part where the neo-zombies have you trapped inside a rickety two story building. I just couldn't survive the onslaught, and gave up. Hey, I just don't have the patience that I had when I was a kid! Back then, I could sit through frustrating games like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania, screaming all the way, but today I have very specific expectations for my games. They have to entertain me, not put me in handcuffs, tie me to a bed, and whip my naked ass for three straight hours. I just don't find the appeal in that kind of "entertainment" anymore.

JR

Is this the part where Luis is helping you out? I found I was able to beat that with luck and by kicking down the ladders in the upper level repeatedly. This limited the number of zombees attacking at once. I also found that if you stood close to Luis, he'll toss you ammo when you need it.

Ahhh...1st post=another reason for me not to finish it. Very difficult does NOT= fun for me.

I began it a few wks ago (PS2), I only get to play like once a week (Thurs night) for a few hrs. The best part so far for me was trying to enter the castle & sniping the fireball-flinging monks.

Right now I'm saved at the 1st shooting-gallery, but losing interest. Is it worth going on? I've heard 99% good things about the game, but I dont want to keep going if it's nothing but a hassle. Maybe there's an upcoming point I can play up to & quit & still be satisfied?

Edited by RJ

Is this the part where Luis is helping you out? I found I was able to beat that with luck and by kicking down the ladders in the upper level repeatedly. This limited the number of zombees attacking at once. I also found that if you stood close to Luis, he'll toss you ammo when you need it.

You mean the Johnny Depp look-alike with the crush on Ashley? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where I'm stuck. So I've got to stay on the second floor of the building to survive? I'll have to give that a shot.

JR

You mean the Johnny Depp look-alike with the crush on Ashley? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where I'm stuck. So I've got to stay on the second floor of the building to survive? I'll have to give that a shot.

JR

More bad news for you...after that scene you will probably be low on health and out of ammo, and there is another difficult sequence following that one (another battle with that big monster). I've gotten stuck at that spot on the Gamecube and PS2 versions.

JR

More bad news for you...after that scene you will probably be low on health and out of ammo, and there is another difficult sequence following that one (another battle with that big monster). I've gotten stuck at that spot on the Gamecube and PS2 versions.

Yeah but you only kill it if you want to, just break the chains at the doors and run away. Or if you want some pesetas, kill it.

Well, I did pound away and make it off the the hanging box car level. I still think it's a damn cheap level and that the developers got lazy, the game gets better after that. Am now facing off against the final boss.

For all these little warts though, Resident Evil is a great game. It also has some of the best graphics I've ever seen on the GameCube. I recently got a Wii with a component cable and man, does it look sharp. Even though Wii is supposed to be "more powerful" than GameCube, this game is the best looking thing in my library, Wii or otherwise.

Well, I did pound away and make it off the the hanging box car level. I still think it's a damn cheap level and that the developers got lazy, the game gets better after that. Am now facing off against the final boss.

Aww, I LIKED the cage sequence....

I really enjoyed the game on my PS2 and I found it well balanced when playing in the normal mode. The boss fights were the just the right difficulty, not too many enemies, simple and not too annoying puzzles. However in the professional mode the games flaws and annoyances become quite apparent. The automatic reload drives me nuts, when you press fire and you have no ammo left, Leon automatically reloads and since there’s no way of interrupting a reload there’s plenty of time for you local Ganados to eat your face while you still are franticly pulling on your controller to get out of there. And controlling Leon is way too slow when you are surrounded by enemies. And there are some other annoyances as well, but I still think that the game is very well designed and certainly as many other have said; the best RE game so far.

i thought that this game was really great, a masterpiece really. RE has been one of my favorite series since i bought RE2 for the N64 back in the late 90's/early 2000's, and this game contributes to my love for the series, although the story does not fit in anywhere really, besides the fact that after RE2, Leon has nothing to do. But i still liked the story alot, even if it didn't match with the others. I don't really have any coplaints with this game at all, i enjoyed it all the way through, thought that it was the right difficult also, the most annoying part in the game though is the Leon/Krauser confrontation where he keeps trying to slice you with the knife and you have to press the dodge button about 10 times . I beat it on normal in 20 hours, then on normal in 10 hours, i tryed assignment ada and beat it, and tehn the mercenaries and got all 4 stars(5 was so freakin hard). I started it on proffessional but only got to the Luis part where he helps you when you are in the cabin, like mentioned above. The Pro Mode is really a challenge, but will get through it eventually, and now tho, i will have to play through the normal difficulty again because i havent plaed it for like 5 months and dont know the controls and techniques to well anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played through it a ton of times, my fastest being 2 hours and 52 minutes; I know I could shave at least 15 minutes off of that.

To me the best part is playing it through for the 2-3rd time and having your health and firepire maxed out. My primary weapon is the Chigago Typewritter with the Infinate Launcher there for fun. :)

• 1 year later...

On it's good side decapatation is back ..the village was nicely designed..the boss battles are nicely designed and memorable...the vehicles are a neat addition and the inventory overhaul is nice.

Everything else is just annoying ( button mash movies come to mind ), tasteless story, and overly dramatic too...I'm really surprised that this is the same series but I guess they started murdering this series when Gun Survivor came out.

RE5 is not even on my list of games it looks like more of the same