IGNORED

Sorry Halo fans...

Jess Ragan

Looks like you'll be waiting a while to get your Master Chief fix. According to G4, even the Halo 3 multiplayer demo won't be available until late spring, regardless of whether or not you bought that copy of Crackdown. Uh... Microsoft? You're starting to tread on the same shaky ground that swallowed Sega whole when they started abusing their customers thirteen years ago.

JR

Although, just to simply MS-bash -- Microsoft has regularly abused its customers before they got into the console market. Practice makes perfect I suppose. ;)

It's funny, I can't think of too many 'standout games' for the XBox... Yeah there's that Elder Scrolls series and a few decent multiplatformers, but other than Master Chief, there is a distinct lack of standout characters. Of course the other extreme is Mario who does everything because he's a secret agent that plays in a rock and roll garage band. :D

Hex.

[ I guess there wasn't much of a point here... just smile and wave boys.... ]

I never really liked Halo, just my opinion :)

I waited until the Mac version was available before playing the first game. I enjoyed it, but dear lord the area with The Flood was ridiculously repetitive. I might as well have been playing Wolfenstein 3D all over again. I don't have an Xbox (or Xbox 360) so I have never played Halo 2. From what I've read I haven't really missed too much. Still, I am curious and would like to play Halo 2 sometime, and the teaser for Halo 3 sure looked shiny. :)

..Al

How is waiting until a game is good enough to ship abusing your customers? Maybe I'm reading the post wrong or missing something. Hello anyone? Bueller?.....Bueller?

I'll bite. Well, let's see... you sell a game on the promise that it will include a Halo 3 beta, then you don't give your customers the beta that sold them the game in the first place. How is that not screwing them over?

Microsoft works at such a glacial pace with the Xbox 360 that they can't even release a single third-party game for Xbox Live Arcade every week, and it's NOT due to rigid quality standards. If it had been, that crappy car combat game from back in December would never have seen the light of day.

The Xbox 360 may be my favorite of the next-generation consoles, but I'm still going to hold Microsoft to its word, and complain loudly when they fail to keep it. There's no sense in giving them a free pass because of system loyalty, because they can and SHOULD do better. Anyone who doesn't demand higher standards from Microsoft is only cheating themselves.

JR

Well...did MS say that the beta would be started when Crackdown came out. Wait.....they didn't. It has been well known for over a week now that the beta wouldn't be up till spring.

And if you are a dumb enough person to buy a $60 game for a beta, than you should wait.

Edited by bruser_inc

Well...did MS say that the beta would be started when Crackdown came out. Wait.....they didn't. It has been well known for over a week now that the beta wouldn't be up till spring.

And if you are a dumb enough person to buy a $60 game for a beta, than you should wait.

Exactly. Is MS using the Halo name to try and help sell a few more crackdowns? Yes. Is there anything wrong with this? No. Some will buy the game just for the beta. Some will also enjoy the game. Either way the consumers get what they want. Damn MS. Them giving the consumers what they want.

I was always under the impression that buying Crackdown guaranteed you a spot in the Halo 3 beta, whenever that was. I don't recall anything saying that the Halo 3 beta would start with the release of Crackdown.

Is Microsoft using the Halo 3 beta to sell more copies of Crackdown? Absolutely.

From what I've read I haven't really missed too much. Still, I am curious and would like to play Halo 2 sometime, and the teaser for Halo 3 sure looked shiny. :)

..Al

Someone recently gave me an Xbox and Halo 2. I don't think you're missing much at all. It's a good game but that's it. Maybe the online experience with it makes it better for some folks but as a single player game, feh. I admit though that I find most FPS to be repetitive and overall not that great.

Yes Microsoft is indeed using a marketing ploy to get more copies of crackdown sold. Yes the 360 is in need of some other titles, but If you have played games such as Gears of War and Lost Plannet, things are going better for the system. As for Albert, playing Halo must be experienced with multiplayer, that is the strength of the game. Playing Halo in story mode, while good, is like playing Warlords by yourself. Halo 2 has a crap story, but multiplayer is great. Whether you go online or LAN it up, fun times are had by everyone. I went to Lee's with Rick Weis last year and had one of the best Halo experiences I have had in a long time.

I don't have an Xbox (or Xbox 360) so I have never played Halo 2. From what I've read I haven't really missed too much. Still, I am curious and would like to play Halo 2 sometime, and the teaser for Halo 3 sure looked shiny. :)
Someone recently gave me an Xbox and Halo 2. I don't think you're missing much at all. It's a good game but that's it.

What you've both apparently missed is multiplayer co-op in Halo 1/2. It's incredibly engrossing, and one of the most fun experiences out there in the FPS world :)

I was always under the impression that buying Crackdown guaranteed you a spot in the Halo 3 beta, whenever that was. I don't recall anything saying that the Halo 3 beta would start with the release of Crackdown.

Exactly, nobody ever said the beta would start with the release of Crackdown. Why all the carrying on?

What next, whining about the 100% backwards compatibility that MS never promised again? There appears to be a legion of people who seem to enjoy bitching about everything possible more than actually playing games. :ponder:

How is waiting until a game is good enough to ship abusing your customers? Maybe I'm reading the post wrong or missing something. Hello anyone? Bueller?.....Bueller?

I'll bite. Well, let's see... you sell a game on the promise that it will include a Halo 3 beta, then you don't give your customers the beta that sold them the game in the first place. How is that not screwing them over?

Microsoft works at such a glacial pace with the Xbox 360 that they can't even release a single third-party game for Xbox Live Arcade every week, and it's NOT due to rigid quality standards. If it had been, that crappy car combat game from back in December would never have seen the light of day.

The Xbox 360 may be my favorite of the next-generation consoles, but I'm still going to hold Microsoft to its word, and complain loudly when they fail to keep it. There's no sense in giving them a free pass because of system loyalty, because they can and SHOULD do better. Anyone who doesn't demand higher standards from Microsoft is only cheating themselves.

JR

What the hell are you talking about?

From the beginning they've said that it would come with a beta key. THey also said that the beta wouldn't start until the spring. Now last time I checked, late February is NOT the spring. It's not screwing anyone over with reading comprehension. Further Halo 3 didn't even have a release tiem frame until they said so last week...this isn't much of anything major either. God forbid they use their big gun in the Christmas season!

I fail to see how you can compare this to Sega's debacle after debacle.

But they're NOT giving consumers what they want. If they were, they would have given them the Halo 3 beta along with Crackdown!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who was under the impression that Crackdown came with the beta... that is after all how the game was marketed. If you even try to debate this, you're either an apologist or as sharp as a bag of doorknobs. The public perception was that Crackdown was the game that included a sneak preview of Halo 3. Why? Because Microsoft told them as much.

I'll never understand why fans of video game companies are so quick to defend them when they make mistakes, or even worse, pretend that they never MAKE mistakes. If you really cared about Microsoft and the Xbox 360, you'd get your heads out of the sand and demand better from them. They're only going to work as hard as you expect them to, and if you expect nothing, they'll be all too happy to meet that expectation.

If you think it's okay that Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays means "Xbox Live Arcade Whenever We Feel Like It, And That Means Later," then that's what you'll get. If you think it's okay for Microsoft to pack a wimpy 20 gig hard drive with the "premium" Xbox 360 rather than something useful, then that's what you're going to get. And if you think it's fine and dandy for Microsoft to drag its feet with the Halo 3 beta even after giving the distinct impression that it would be ready by the time Crackdown was released, well guess what? That complacency is going to earn you even more delays. At the rate things are going, we'll be lucky to see a Halo 3 beta by the end of the summer.

It's like I always say... gamers get what they deserve. If you expect nothing from Microsoft, you deserve nothing.

JR

Well I'm sorry that you and retarded people can't read the dozens of things Microsoft has written about the beta being in the spring. They said a while back that there were three ways into the beta that was beginning in spring: get randomly selectected from the phase one, get in from the rule of three, or get a launch copy of crackdown. At NO time did they say that this beta was coming along in February. The ads for Crackdown and even the case itself did state that it came with a Halo 3 beta invitation, which it indeed does. It did not say you could hop on and start playing, but rather that you should check halo3.com for details.

Telling me I'm the fool for grasping this blatantly obvious concept is just silly.

Oh yes, and god forbid that the Halo 3 beta isn't going up until it's ready to go up! That's criminal!

Deal with it.

Ummmmm This is straight off Bungies websites FAQ..

When does the beta start?

The beta will not start when Crackdown is released. The beta will go live when it’s ready, which should be sometime this Spring. The team is currently busy whipping the included content into shape. Our goal is to deliver a fun, solid game experience though it will still very much be a “beta.”

Also I did some brief searches and have yet to come across a statement that said Halo 3 beta would be available when Crackdown was released. Please let me know exactly what phrase confused anyone into thinking that you'd be able to play Halo Feb 20th?? Here's something that some people may not know and it's kind of understandable because it is somewhat difficult to comprehend. Spring does not and has never started in February. Spring starts March 21st this year. (Please note that’s when Spring starts not when you will necessarily be able to play Halo 3 beta)

http://crackdownoncrime.com/News/Halo3_Announcement.html

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Crackdown_Ha...a_Clarification

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/752/752946p1.html

This reminds me of the whole "Microsoft said the 360 was going to 100% backward compatible thread. Honestly people, get your facts straight. You just come off as looking foolish when you post things that are 100% false.

BestBuy Ad for crackdown

For those too lazy to click....

And when you purchase Crackdown, you'll also receive access to the Halo 3 multiplayer beta program. Just download the beta when it becomes available from the Xbox Live Marketplace using your Crackdown disc, and you'll be able to participate in the testing and refinement of the multiplayer gameplay of Halo 3. Take advantage of this special opportunity to get access to Halo 3's multiplayer before anyone else.

I must have exceptional reading comprehension because I had no trouble understanding it and saw through all the shady attempts to make me think the disc came with a preloaded and ready to play version of Halo3.

Here's something that some people may not know and it's kind of understandable because it is somewhat difficult to comprehend. Spring does not and has never started in February.

But what about that damned groundhog?! :? He said spring is coming early!! I'm holding Microsoft responsible, they promised me an early backwards compatible groundhog Halo crackdown beta something or other!!! :mad: