IGNORED

I Got One! (yet another Wii story)

Tempest

Talk about dumb luck. I went to Best Buy on my lunch hour to look for Advance Wars 2 (I'm still hoping to find an old copy somewhere), when I bumped into a sales guy stocking the shelves. I asked half jokingly if they had any Wii's in stock and to my amazement he said "Yeah we have one left" (apparently they got 9 in yesterday and sold 8 that day), so I happily told him that I'd take it. Almost exactly one minute later (and that's no exaggeration) a woman came up to the sales guy and said that she heard they had a Wii in stock and she had raced over from work to buy it (apparently they can't hold them). I felt so bad that I had dumb lucked into one and she had been actively trying to get one since launch (but not bad enough to give her mine). I suppose if we had asked the sales guy at the same time I would have let her have it, but since I was clearly first it's first come, first served.

So I picked up an extra Nunchuck and Remote since almost every game is two player. They only had one of each left and the Remote was loose, but it looks like it has all the parts (what exactly comes in the Remote package) and they think it was just missing the package. I also picked up a memory card (I can't believe it doesn't come with one) and Warioware Smooth Moves since I'm a huge Warioware nut. What other games/accessories should I pick up? I already have Zelda for the GC so I don't need that, and I don't think I'm going to download any virtual console games yet so I don't need the Classic Controller. I do need to go back and pick up the component cable since as it turns out the GC one is not compatible (although the plug looks the same).

That's one think that bugs me about the Wii, sure the console is cheap, but I'll be damned if they don't nickel and dime you to death on all the accessories ($40 for the Remote, $20 for the Nunchuck, $50 for the memory card, etc.). Still, this should hold me over until a game worth playing appears on the PS3 (which probably won't happen for me until FF XIII comes out).

Now I have to figure out where I'm going to put this thing. I thought I could replace my GC with it, but I still use my GBA adapter so I'm not quite ready to give up the old Cube yet. It also looks like I'm going to have to unplug my DVD player from the component cable slot (my TV is old so it only has one). Since my TV isn't high def, I assume it only does 480i at best (maybe not even that), is it worth using component cables with the Wii on it? I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Tempest

it didn't come with an sd card because it doesn't really need one..

Yup. Plenty of internal memory for game saves. $50 seems a little pricey for an SD card...you can get them much cheaper if you look around. You don't need a Wii branded one.

Your TV probably handles progressive scan (480p) so yes, the component cables will help.

Edited by Lord Helmet

Yup. Plenty of internal memory for game saves. $50 seems a little pricey for an SD card...you can get them much cheaper if you look around. You don't need a Wii branded one.

Ok then I'll just return that and pick up the component cables. Same price.

Your TV probably handles progressive scan (480p) so yes, the component cables will help.

You think? Hmm... I never actually looked into it, but I assume it must have some HD capability if it has component jacks.

Tempest

Buy the Component Cables from Nintendo.com, they are only $30.

..Al

That's one think that bugs me about the Wii, sure the console is cheap, but I'll be damned if they don't nickel and dime you to death on all the accessories ($40 for the Remote, $20 for the Nunchuck, $50 for the memory card, etc.). Still, this should hold me over until a game worth playing appears on the PS3 (which probably won't happen for me until FF XIII comes out).

If you think you're being nickled and dimed to death for the Wii, you should try buying a 360. All the accessories for the 360 are obscenely priced. You don't need anything else with the Wii to start having fun, the system already has plenty of internal memory for save games, and it already comes with one remote and nunchuck. And you can get SD carts cheap--a 2 GB memory card is only $30. Just don't buy it at Best Buy, as they are a ripoff for any accessories (especially cables).

..Al

Buy the Component Cables from Nintendo.com, they are only $30.

..Al

I was thinking of the Monster brand cables, they were $50. I just checked and the Nintendo brand is $34, much more reasonable.

Tempest

I was thinking of the Monster brand cables, they were $50. I just checked and the Nintendo brand is $34, much more reasonable.

Tempest

Monster Cables are a ripoff, and pretty much any cables bought from Best Buy will be either overpriced or a ripoff. The cable directly from Nintendo is $29.95 and shipping is only $5.00. Cheaper than buying it from Best Buy when you include Tax.

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/store...ey=ProductCheck

..Al

A few things I want to add to this...

First just because a TV has component inputs...doesn't always mean it can do progressive scan. The Nsider forums at Nintendo are full of people having trouble getting the 480p just to work correctly on actual HD TVs? I haven't had any trouble with mine..but still.

Also as was stated, you don't really need the SD card just yet. Most of the game saves only take a couple blocks average for a save file. And you have over a 1000 blocks in the Wii's internal memory?! So game saves alone would take some time to fill the internal memory on the Wii. Where you start to need the SD card is when you download all the channels and especially VC games. Some of them can be large memory block wise.

However, keep in mind that you CANNOT save or load anything directly to the SD cards. You have to use the memory manager to copy and load data from the SD cards.

I keep saying it over and over...but the Wii's SD card slot isn't any more useful right now than the Saturn backup memory carts were for the Saturn. However, in all fairness, the Saturn didn't have that large an internal memory and sorta needed the backup ram carts if you played lots of games.

The only actual Wii game I have so far that eats up any real blocks of save data is Elebits. Which eats up over 40blocks. And..on top of that, the Elebits save file CANNOT be backed up to the SD card memory?! WTF is that about?!

First just because a TV has component inputs...doesn't always mean it can do progressive scan. The Nsider forums at Nintendo are full of people having trouble getting the 480p just to work correctly on actual HD TVs? I haven't had any trouble with mine..but still.

Yeah I'm not sure if it can either, but I suppose I'll find out tonight. If ti doesn't, what will 480P mode look like?

The only actual Wii game I have so far that eats up any real blocks of save data is Elebits. Which eats up over 40blocks. And..on top of that, the Elebits save file CANNOT be backed up to the SD card memory?! WTF is that about?!

Poor programming would be my guess. BTW is Elebits any good? That was another game I was thinking about getting.

Tempest

I like Elebits quite a bit. However, I have managed to score A or S on almost all the levels, so the replay factor for me has died quite a bit on it. But it is a very good example of the kinds of unique gameplay the Wii can offer that can't be found on any other system.

However a warning on the 480p mode. If your TV doesn't accept 480p, then you had better memorize the screen layouts to change it back. Unlike some systems, the Wii does not make you confirm the 480p switch. In other words, once you switch over to the 480p mode, the Wii will be in progressive scan mode and will not change back automatically.

If your TV doesn't suppor 480p it might just go to a black screen, a single bright line along the middle,top, or bottom. Or a sort of doubling ghosting type image. Sorta like what it looks like when the vhold is really outta whack on older TVs.

I haven't tested it myself, but I have heard some people state that taking the component cables of the Wii and connecting the standard AV cable it came with back on it, will make it switch back to 480i mode. I have also heard others say this doesn't work.

My advice, is that if you really aren't sure, get all the updates loaded to the Wii first. The one case where putting the standard AV cable back one switched the Wii back over was on a Wii with all the latest updates. So it could be this was something implemented in one of the last system updates.

I tell you what...in a bit when I take lunch, I will grab my old AV cables out and see if the Wii switches back over. If it does then it would be safe to say that it will provided you have all the system updates.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

I like Elebits quite a bit. However, I have managed to score A or S on almost all the levels, so the replay factor for me has died quite a bit on it. But it is a very good example of the kinds of unique gameplay the Wii can offer that can't be found on any other system.

I'll probably pick up Elebits and Sonic when I go back to return the SD card then. Warioware and Wii Sports are nice and all, but I want some single player games too.

Tempest

I'll probably pick up Elebits and Sonic when I go back to return the SD card then. Warioware and Wii Sports are nice and all, but I want some single player games too.

Tempest

Zelda? :ponder:

..Al

Tempest

..Al

I have it for the GC. A tacked on control scheme and widescreen ability are not enough to make me drop another $49.

Tempest

Okay...at lunch I set my Wii to 480p (It was already...) and checked my TV's settings. Sure enough the main menu of the Wii was putting out a resolution of 768x480@60hz. 480p...

I then turned the Wii off...took off the component cable and plugged the original AV cable back into the Wii. Connected just the yellow Video to my TV's AV1 input...set the TV to AV1 and turned the Wii back on. I was able to see it just fine. Get to the main Wii menu and check my TV settings. The TV shows the image is a standard tv signal. I then went into the Wii settings and the screen resolution was sitting on 480i and wouldn't let me choose 480p.

Turned it all off...and put the component back on. Turned on the TV and set it to my component1 input. Turned on the Wii...able to see the screen. I check the TV and it says the Wii is in 768x480@60hz again. So it looks like if you have component and switch the Wii to 480p mode it will stay there provided you always have component cables on it. If you put the standard AV cables back on it..then it will go back to 480i. However, it won't stay at the 480i setting. So...it could still give you some issue trying to change it back if your TV doesn't handle 480p mode.

Given this, I still advise getting component even if you only can do 480i because the colors will not bleed or artifact as it is called like it will with standard composite AV.

Tempest

..Al

I have it for the GC. A tacked on control scheme and widescreen ability are not enough to make me drop another $49.

Tempest

Ahh, didn't know you already had it. I'll save judgment for the "tacked on control scheme" until I've had a chance to play it. :)

..Al

Tempest

Monster Cables are a ripoff, and pretty much any cables bought from Best Buy will be either overpriced or a ripoff. The cable directly from Nintendo is $29.95 and shipping is only $5.00. Cheaper than buying it from Best Buy when you include Tax.

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/store...ey=ProductCheck

..Al

I can do you one better. You can get component cables from The Electric Quarter for just $15, including shipping!

http://electricquarter.com/nintendo-compon...bles-p-451.html

JR

I can do you one better. You can get component cables from The Electric Quarter for just $15, including shipping!

http://electricquarter.com/nintendo-compon...bles-p-451.html

JR

That's a good deal, but a bit late for me now. I see it's a third-party cable, but it looks like a picture of Nintendo's cable (a least it has the Nintendo logo on the Wii connector).

..Al

You don't need anything else with the Wii to start having fun,

I don’t agree with this. The second Wii-mote and chuck are a necessity. Wii sports the pack in game is great great fun (and the game that has easily seen the most use at my house) when played with friends or family.....and two controllers. I'd imagine it would suck ass if you had to pitch and then real quick like throw the Wii-mote to your pal so they could hit the ball. :) Without a second remote Wii-Sports would be a 10 minute put away title and I know in my house would be gathering dust.

Elebits is probably my favorite game on the system and should be considered a must buy IMO. Zelda seemed fun, but the confusing sword control ruined it for me. I'd be hacking away at an enemy thinking I was hurting him, turns out he was behind me and I got hurt instead. Too wonky. I definately wouldn't repay to play that game on the Wii.

People say Excite Truck is a must buy as well, although I still haven't had a chance to pick that one up.

The second Wii-mote and chuck are a necessity. Wii sports the pack in game is great great fun (and the game that has easily seen the most use at my house) when played with friends or family.....and two controllers. Without a second remote Wii-Sports would be a 10 minute put away title and I know in my house would be gathering dust.

I only have one controller, and it's still great fun for the whole family. Part of the reason why bowling is so popular is that it's played with just one Wiimote. We also take turns at boxing (what a workout!) and tennis. Golf also allows you to share a single 'mote. Baseball doesn't get much play in my house, but that may be because we don't have a second controller. Then again, the mechanics of it aren't that interesting to me, personally.

One thing to keep in mind is that the AI does get better with play. It starts off easy on your Mii (since it assumes you're a beginner), but it quickly ramps up the challenge to a point commiserate with your experience level.

I was lucky enough to get a second remote and nunchuck. The remote was loose, but had all the parts and seems to work just fine (who knows why?). I looked around because I eventually want to get two more, but so far I haven't seen any! Actually I got the last component cable as well, are Wii accessories in that short supply?

I actually didn't get a chance to play with the Wii last night. I spent most of the night getting it setup with my entertainment system (I have two switch boxes (component and S-Video), 7 systems, a surround sound/DVD system, and an older TV so it gets complicated), and then I ran into some trouble getting the Wii online (it didn't like my router being set to Wireless G only apperently). However everything is working just fine now so tonight I'll be wii-ing.

Tempest

Yeah...the Wii and the DS are Wireless B only devices. But it doesn't make sense...because the Wii allows you to put in WPA keys if you have that set. And last I checked WPA encryption is only available with G and up wireless signals right? Anyway, I had the same issue. I initially had my router set to G only mode and couldn't get squat to connect. I now have it set to Mixed to that G and B devices can connect and so far so good.

I only have one controller, and it's still great fun for the whole family. Part of the reason why bowling is so popular is that it's played with just one Wiimote. We also take turns

Yep believe me you will have 10x the fun with two controllers.

How do you guys box against each other?

How do you guys play tennis against each other?

How do you play baseball against each other.

Actually Baseball is almost useless without two people, I think the last time I played the against the AI I won like 30 to 3.

That is great that you guys have so much fun playing against the AI, and yes I know perfectly well the AI gets harder in some games, but you'll have to trust me on this one, you guys will have much much more fun playing each other. Don't belive me? Save your pennies and go get one and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Wont hold a candle to what you guys are doing with you single controller.