IGNORED

In the market for 7800 - Questions

tkarner

I'm in the market for a 7800 and have a couple of questions. Apologies if they have been asked before.

First off, I'd like to use my Arcadia Supercharger. Which versions are compatible with it? I guess this isn't critical since i can always just use a 2600 for the Supercharger. I've also read about (but didn't pay attention to until now) various other compatibility issues with other games among the 7800 versions.

I know about looking for the expansion slot on the 7800 to determine its vintage but can you tell from the box? I ask because I've seen some on the market in the familiar dark grey box and I've also seem some in what appears to be a longer box and light grey in color. Is the light grey the original 1984 version? Thanks.

Have you got Robot Tank or Dark Chambers for your 2600? If Dark Chambers works, the Supercharger may not. On the other hand, if Robot Tank works, the Supercharger should work also.

I'd ask the seller if there's a port or a blemish on the side of the unit. Unless it's sealed in the box, they should be willing to open it and look. However, the best way to tell if it's going to damage the Supercharger is by looking at the motherboard. I've read that an extra timing circuit that was installed for 2600 Dark Chambers is responsible for frying Starpath hardware. Even if the timing circuit isn't there, you will still have compatibility problems. The SC will fit tight, and it may still not work even though it's not damaged by the 7800.

What I'd do is go ahead and pick out a 7800 to buy. I have a third generation unit myself that has been modded to play every single 2600 game I own including the Starpath ones.

If you do get a 7800 that won't run your 2600 games, you have the option of buying another one or just using the 2600. If it won't play your 7800 games, you'll have to look for another 7800 anyway. If you like, you can look for another 7800 if your first one doesn't play the games you want.

99% of all first and third generation 7800 units are compatible with everything but Dark Chambers. The first generation ones have the port, second generation ones usually have a blemish in the case, and third generation ones have no evidence of a port whatsoever.

That does hinge of whether the carts fit, but making them fit is easy if you're willing to do some cutting.

There is a whole long story or description about what is and isn't compatible with various models of the 7800 in the 7800 section.

I think I can about quote it, but It mostly has to do with a handful of carts, and the super charger that don't work, and it all has to do with early models with the exp port, and the later ones that didn't, although the port never served any purpose.

I'm in the market for a 7800 and have a couple of questions. Apologies if they have been asked before.

First off, I'd like to use my Arcadia Supercharger. Which versions are compatible with it? I guess this isn't critical since i can always just use a 2600 for the Supercharger. I've also read about (but didn't pay attention to until now) various other compatibility issues with other games among the 7800 versions.

From what I gather, the stories of various 7800 models not being compatible with certain things are highly exaggerated; compatibility issues seem to be few and far between.

I was once told to ensure complete compatibility, get a 1984 7800, with the expansion slot...well, just to give you an idea, mine's a 1987, with absolutely no sign of an expansion slot -- no slot, no markings, no nothing -- and the Activision games with compatibility problems work fine; supercat brought over his Supercharger and THAT worked well with my 7800 too...

And I disagree with PressureCooker2600. If there's one reason to get the 7800, it's........

PAC-MAN COLLECTION!

If there are TWO reasons, however, the other is Food Fight!

Edited by Dauber

And I disagree with PressureCooker. If there's one reason to get the 7800, it's........

PAC-MAN COLLECTION!

Haven't gotten around to buying that yet. Spent all my money on Toyshop Trouble, Reindeer Rescue, Ladybug, and Wolfenstein.

So I stick with my first statement.......

FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!