• Starfighter (Suncom)
    • Tak-2 (Suncom)
    • "The Arcade" (Suzo)
    • Command Control / Ball (Wico)
    • Command Control / Bat (Wico)
    • Zipstick (?)
    • Other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Other- I really like the CX40 alike that comes with the Flashback 2, could be because it is new and tight, have to see what a few years use does to it.

Atari really should make these little gems available on the open market.

Before that my fave was the Best Electrics CX40.

Do you know who makes this (Zipstick) joystick? I was unable to find any info on it.

Actually... i don't now you mention it, i have three here and they all have a space on their bottom where i assume there should be maker information, but all are blank!

I use a CX-24 / Pro-Line on my 800 most of the time. I do have two Wico Command Control / Ball for use with Robotron though. In fact I use those for Robotron on all the systems I have that game on, besides the Apple II obviously.

Edited by darthkur

My all time favourite is the QuickShot IX ('Joyball'). Instead of a stick there's a huge ball and you don't need to hold a more or less ergonomic stick but just place your flat hand on the ball.

The first few days are usually horrible, as it takes some time until you are used to the different kind of controlling a game. But then, you can play for hours without getting an aching arm or aching hands.

The mechanics is quite simple, but robust. Actually, it's not really a ball (like in a trackball), but half of a sphere that is attached with a spring in the middle. You can then slightly tilt the sphere sideways where it pushes one (or two) of four microswitches (the same switches without case that were also used in other QuickShots).

so long,

Hias

compy pro (best autofire option) and the classic cx-40

I did try an amiga joypad once on my xe, it wasn't too bad, but i can't get used to the joy/game pad thing and using it thru a pc atari emu...somehow the movement just isn't quite there...perhaps something is telling me to get a 'stella adapter' or similar device

• 1 month later...

I boxed up my Atari computers when my last cx40 broke (the centering pin in the base not the plastic ring that depressed the switches -- I had a box of those). They have been sitting quietly in my attic for nearly ten years.

A couple weeks ago, I found a guy selling the joysticks that shipped with the Flashback II. I bought 16 and unboxed my toys.

After a quick game of Wizard of War, a quick game of Pac Man, and a not-so-quick game of Bruce Lee, I took one apart. While the sticks look and feel the same, the construction (and durability, I hope) is quite different.

There is no spring under the fire button. I noticed this during game play, but did not mind. No 'bubble' switches either -- just a soft rubber ring that presses onto traces on a circuit board. The screws that hold the stick together are smaller, too.

I'm hoping these things hold up and play well.

Anyone using these? Sure feels good in my hand.

I boxed up my Atari computers when my last cx40 broke (the centering pin in the base not the plastic ring that depressed the switches -- I had a box of those). They have been sitting quietly in my attic for nearly ten years.

A couple weeks ago, I found a guy selling the joysticks that shipped with the Flashback II. I bought 16 and unboxed my toys.

After a quick game of Wizard of War, a quick game of Pac Man, and a not-so-quick game of Bruce Lee, I took one apart. While the sticks look and feel the same, the construction (and durability, I hope) is quite different.

There is no spring under the fire button. I noticed this during game play, but did not mind. No 'bubble' switches either -- just a soft rubber ring that presses onto traces on a circuit board. The screws that hold the stick together are smaller, too.

I'm hoping these things hold up and play well.

Anyone using these? Sure feels good in my hand.

I use the FB2 sticks, and they are really nice, where did you get them as I would like to get hold of some more

I use the FB2 sticks, and they are really nice, where did you get them as I would like to get hold of some more

I got them from this guy: igg1na@yahoo.com

If you are looking for a pair, he has a store on eBay...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZigg1naQQhtZ-1

If you want to buy a bunch (I bought 16), you can email Tony directly. I paid $96 for 16 or them. Seems like a good deal to me. Look new. I only got them last night, so we've only actually played with two -- and only for a couple hours. While first impressions are good, I'll withhold my endorsement until I've had a chance to play basketball for a few hours.

Have you had your sticks for very long? Are they durable? So far, this is the only 'review' I've found...

The real highlight of the Flashback 2 is its controllers. The package includes two joysticks, which are near-perfect replicas of the Atari 2600 classic. When compared to today's increasingly complex gamepads--the Xbox 360 controller, for instance, has seven buttons, four triggers, two depressable thumbsticks, and a four-way directional pad--the simplicity of the eight-way joystick and a single action button is rather a breath of fresh air.

I saw this...

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showt...d.php?p=8692012

Which made me nervous (IOW made me buy sixteen). Here's to hoping these hold up until someone comes out with a better alternative!

Edited by WizWor

While the old stand-by CX40 is great, the highest quality has to go to the Wico Command Control joysticks, which use arcade quality components and are every bit as responsive as a new CX40. I love the heavier weight too. It's just plain solid, a tank, like the 800.