• Starfighter (Suncom)
    • Tak-2 (Suncom)
    • "The Arcade" (Suzo)
    • Command Control / Ball (Wico)
    • Command Control / Bat (Wico)
    • Zipstick (?)
    • Other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

While the old stand-by CX40 is great, the highest quality has to go to the Wico Command Control joysticks, which use arcade quality components and are every bit as responsive as a new CX40. I love the heavier weight too. It's just plain solid, a tank, like the 800.

I agree, but prefer the cx40 in my hand. My Command Control stick is in 'like new' condition. Of course, I only ever used when all my cx40's were broken ;)

While the old stand-by CX40 is great, the highest quality has to go to the Wico Command Control joysticks, which use arcade quality components and are every bit as responsive as a new CX40. I love the heavier weight too. It's just plain solid, a tank, like the 800.

I agree, but prefer the cx40 in my hand. My Command Control stick is in 'like new' condition. Of course, I only ever used when all my cx40's were broken ;)

Would you want to sell the Wico? :P

I boxed up my Atari computers when my last cx40 broke (the centering pin in the base not the plastic ring that depressed the switches -- I had a box of those). They have been sitting quietly in my attic for nearly ten years.

A couple weeks ago, I found a guy selling the joysticks that shipped with the Flashback II. I bought 16 and unboxed my toys.

After a quick game of Wizard of War, a quick game of Pac Man, and a not-so-quick game of Bruce Lee, I took one apart. While the sticks look and feel the same, the construction (and durability, I hope) is quite different.

There is no spring under the fire button. I noticed this during game play, but did not mind. No 'bubble' switches either -- just a soft rubber ring that presses onto traces on a circuit board. The screws that hold the stick together are smaller, too.

I'm hoping these things hold up and play well.

Anyone using these? Sure feels good in my hand.

I use the FB2 sticks, and they are really nice, where did you get them as I would like to get hold of some more

I also came across a couple of the flashback two joysticks (though I already had two from my FB2), they were mixed in with a bunch of CX40's I got in a big 2600 lot. They do seem to be more durable than the CX40, but only time will tell as they are still pretty new and hardly used since I got the Wico Command Control bat stick.

I can't believe the Tac-2 only received 2 votes! It's a great joystick, mine saw a lot of use on my Atari 8bits, Amiga, ST even for one button games on the Genesis and still works 100% to this day. I would plug it into my Mac if there were a cheap way to get it to work with emulators... IMO if you like arcade games especially Pac Man style or Scrolling Shoot em ups there is nothing better.

Kev

Edited by kevin242

I can't believe the Tac-2 only received 2 votes! It's a great joystick, mine saw a lot of use on my Atari 8bits, Amiga, ST even for one button games on the Genesis and still works 100% to this day. I would plug it into my Mac if there were a cheap way to get it to work with emulators... IMO if you like arcade games especially Pac Man style or Scrolling Shoot em ups there is nothing better.

Kev

The thing is there are a lot of great joysticks, like the Tac-2 and slik stik, etc., but if you haven't tried a Wico Command Control or the Competition Pro, then you have yet to try the BEST. I have owned the 500XJ, slik stik, Tac-2 and many others and they are great, but they don't hold a candle to the Command Control, it's in an entirely different class than the Tac-2 for instance. Really, comparing the Tac-2 to a Wico Command Control is like comparing a Corvette ZR-1 to a Ferrari, sure, they both are high performance and can go 175+MPH, but which is built better over all with higher quality? The $50,000 Corvette or the $250,000 Ferrari? You get what you pay for.

Maybe it's time for you to try a Wico stick, then see if you still prefer your Tac-2.

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 year later...
I vote for the Quickshot (Model QS-137F)

Probably a crazy question but is there anyone still selling new joysticks for the 8-bit Atari :?:

Didn't someone recently release a Competition Pro remake? IIRC there was a classic version with a 9 pin connector and also a USB version for PC.

I vote for the Quickshot (Model QS-137F)

Probably a crazy question but is there anyone still selling new joysticks for the 8-bit Atari :?:

Didn't someone recently release a Competition Pro remake? IIRC there was a classic version with a 9 pin connector and also a USB version for PC.

German company "SpeedLink" sells an USB version of the CompetitionPro 5000: http://speedlink.de/?p=2&cat=313&p...8986&paus=1

The 9pin version is available at the German go64-shop: http://www.go64.de/shop/product_info.php/i...tick-Retro.html

Got them both. I think they come out of the same factory but nevertheless the 9pin-version "feels" better.

Also available in the UK from http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalo...products_id=610

Totally forgot about them, I bought one of the 9pin models, but never got on with it, and sold it to fund a TAC-2 :D

There were some transparent blue ones available at one point, but can't see them listed

Excellent service from them though

Edited by mimo

German company "SpeedLink" sells an USB version of the CompetitionPro 5000: http://speedlink.de/?p=2&cat=313&p...8986&paus=1

The 9pin version is available at the German go64-shop: http://www.go64.de/shop/product_info.php/i...tick-Retro.html

Got them both. I think they come out of the same factory but nevertheless the 9pin-version "feels" better.

Better than nothing but in Chinese quality. We from ABBUC baught some for our gaming competitions during the presentation on Games Convention 2008 directly from Speedlink, who had a stand in the same hall.

Absolutely no match of the original from the 80s. One was already broken within one hour. At least there is something available ...

My vote would be the CX-40, if there were a version for lefthanded people (customized one). As well use an old Competition Pro (for which I still have some spare micro switches and an old GamePad 'Techno Swift TP-200' for gaming.

Gtx

Edited by GoodByteXL

Also available in the UK from http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalo...products_id=610

Totally forgot about them, I bought one of the 9pin models, but never got on with it, and sold it to fund a TAC-2 :D

There were some transparent blue ones available at one point, but can't see them listed

Excellent service from them though

Thanks Mimo, have contacted them but some bu**er has just bought the last one :x

• 2 months later...

I Like the CX-40 for most things, however not mentioned here is the Atari "Space Age" joystick. Wico Boss was also an early favorite, and those funny tiny Amiga 2x2" sticks, palm sized and makes a fun dynamic for pac man collection. My daughter finally beat me using one.

It has to be the Atari CX 40 for me.

By no means the best Joystick in the world.

In fact there's probably a load better but you just can't beat it for that original retro feel.

When I use one it reminds me when I used to play the Atari VCS for hours on end with my friend & bothers. Boy did we get through a lot of these.

Quite simply the epitome of retro gaming controllers, I love em… :lust:

Edited by Olds-kool gamer

I find it easiest to go from using the sega to tha jaguar pad.

I use to really like the kraft sticks with the diagonal switch.

Almost all the microswitch based controllers were decent.

my ancient cx40's outlasted almost all the ones I have owned over the years though.. crazy!