IGNORED

What if Kool-Aid Man was never released in stores?

kyle

At first Kool-Aid Man was only available by mail order. But then later it was released in stores. But what if it were never released in stores? Most mail order games are incredibly rare. But being this game is actually a lot of fun to play and Kool-Aid Man is such a popular comercial icon I think it would have become one of the most sought after games for collectors. But being it was released in stores and sold reasonably well it's just a fun but common game.

I played it right after it came out. A friend of my dad's got it through the mail, then loaned it to us after a while. It was the only cart the was played the couple of days we had it.

I never knew it had been released in stores until now. I was under the assumption that word of mouth and Kool-Aid's popularity back in the day had sold enough copies to make it common now. Guess I learn something new each day!

If it never came out in stores, it'd probably be as rare as Magicard.

Probably more like Tooth Protectors or Chuckwagon. I think Magicard is ultra rare since it was a programming tool so most people (including myself) had no interest in it back then or now for that matter. The advertising was much better for KAM as well, you never saw Magicard ads in comic books :)

• Like 1

I got mine through the mail order promotion. I think you had to collect something like 150 Kool Aid Points. Each packet was 1 point, as far as I can remember. It took us for freaking EVER to collect those things, but it was a sweet (no pun intended) day when we got our KAM in the mail. We played the hell out of that game. Still one of my favorites today. :)

• Like 1

If it never came out in stores, it'd probably be as rare as Magicard.

Probably more like Tooth Protectors or Chuckwagon. I think Magicard is ultra rare since it was a programming tool so most people (including myself) had no interest in it back then or now for that matter. The advertising was much better for KAM as well, you never saw Magicard ads in comic books :)

I would say it would even be more common than that. I would put the rarity at that of Crazy Climber or video cube. Kool Aid is pretty populor now and back then so I am sure a lot of kids knew about the mail order thing. In fact I think I have vague memories of this being advertised on a kool aid comercial back in the day.

My family drank a lot of Kool-Aid back in the day, and my parents were compulsive about saving the points on products, so we easily had enough points to get the game for free when the promotion was first announced. I think it took something like 4-6 months for Mattel (or the Kool-Aid company - don't remember who we had to contact) to send us the game; I think we sent away for the game in mid-1983 and didn't get until late 1983 or something like that. What a strange but cool game; I always liked that game. It was kind of amusing to see your guy bounce around all over the screen when the game was over.

Edited by CHIP72

• 7 years later...

I was a compulsive collector of many things when I was a youngster. One of those things was empty Kool-Aid packets. I kept them in a neat stack, rubber-banded, in a quiet corner of the kitchen, and instructed my mother to always add empty packets to my hoard. This drove her a bit nuts and she often encouraged me to trash my collection. I always told her that I might use them for something someday. Imagine her chagrin and my pride when the Kool-Aid Man cartridge promotion was announced! A few minutes with scissors and a jaunt to the post office and I was all set! I received my game and enjoyed it very much, but it did take a few months to reach me.

• Like 3

I got mine through mail order. You needed to collect so many Kool-Aid points. My buddy and I did a sneaky thing: We went to the convenience store in my neighborhood each day and one of us would buy something at the register. While that person talked to the cashier and was distracted, we peeled the points/proof of purchase off of one of the large cans which had 15 points if I remember correctly. We did this for 2 or 3 weeks until we got enough points to order the game through the mail.

I'm sure at one point they looked at all their cans and wondered why they were all torn in the same spot. :)