IGNORED

Do I have a defective Wii? (shut up i know that sounds bad)

AtariJr

But seriously. Ive been quite used to my bought-at-launch Wii... that is up till today, when my roomate brough his not-bought-at-launch Wii. Besides the strap differnce which i could honestly care less about.. i noticed his doesnt "click". Yes, thats right. My wii, when turned on or when going back to the Wii menu, makes a light beep sounds and clicks, like the dvd drive makes a clikc sounds after something internally beeps softly. I hoenstly thought it was normal, and isnt that big of a distraction.. yet seeing his so quiet, no beeps or clicks, even after we did his updates today, has be concerned...

is my drive going bad, or is this just my punishment for getting 3 months more of Wii play time than him.. different version wii or what?

Judging from my responses here ill call Nintendo on Monday if im solo on this. Thanks for the help everyone.

Probably just an update in the drives on the newer Wii systems. Mine's a launch system, and it makes a little noise from starting to spin the disc and moving the drive head when it boots up (that's faint "beep" and clicking noises you hear). It's perfectly normal for some disc drives to do that, and I haven't experienced any problems with it. Some disc drives just make noise like that from the internals moving around and reading the disc, and then some don't. So it's possible that Nintendo is just using a different batch of disc drives, or perhaps drives from another manufacturer in the newer Wiis.

Nothing to get too upset over, though, I wouldn't think. Unless, of course, the noise is just too annoying and you want it to be quiet.

Probably just an update in the drives on the newer Wii systems. Mine's a launch system, and it makes a little noise from starting to spin the disc and moving the drive head when it boots up (that's faint "beep" and clicking noises you hear). It's perfectly normal for some disc drives to do that, and I haven't experienced any problems with it. Some disc drives just make noise like that from the internals moving around and reading the disc, and then some don't. So it's possible that Nintendo is just using a different batch of disc drives, or perhaps drives from another manufacturer in the newer Wiis.

Nothing to get too upset over, though, I wouldn't think. Unless, of course, the noise is just too annoying and you want it to be quiet.

no no no, lik ei said, i was perfectly fine with it. but damn am i pissed that my roomate's is so damn quiet.. ah well lol.. maybe ill switch out the wiis when hes not lookin.. hmm but then ill lose my vc games.. ah screw it, ill live with mine then :)

Besides the strap differnce which i could honestly care less about..

Whether you care about it or not, it's free and you should just have them send you it. Where's your collecting instincts? :P

hehe i know i know.. but i mean.. i just love showing it off.. its like, yea i was a badass who got the early version.. you and your fat "its more secure cuase im a clutz" strap.. bah :P

I assume that my Wii has the new strap since I just bought it. Is there a way to tell visually?

Yes there is, go here:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/straps.jsp

You can order new straps here:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/strapreplace.jsp

..Al

Hmm... It does look like I have the older ones. Odd since one of the controllers I have came with the new Wii Play. Oh well, 4 new ones on the way.

Tempest