IGNORED

:::: VGXPO 2007 :::: NOV 2 - 4 ::::

ed_fleming

I was somewhat aghast to see that "Moral Kombat" had a booth, as this is an upcoming movie that has been reviled by the gaming community and industry.

I found this on the VGXPO site. Is this the film you were referring to?

SPENCER HALPIN'S: MORAL KOMBAT - COMES ALIVE AT VGXPO

Moral Kombat is a feature-length documentary that studies the controversial subject of violence in videogames through a series of interviews with experts on both sides of the matter – some believing that violent games should be banned, others supporting their protection under the First Amendment. At VGXPO gamers will have an opportunity to preview the film and dive into the controversy with a live panel. Sure to be a major news event, this panel will be moderated by Newsweek's N'Gai Croal, and will feature Jack Thompson, Lorne Lanning and other special guests.

I really wish we (the community) could put together our own Classic Gaming (only) Expo / swap meet / etc... I'd be willing to go in on it; basically do the same thing that's being done here but only involve classic games.

Uh, unless I'm not reading you right, there is a classic gaming (only) expo called, ahem, "Classic Gaming Expo." (www.cgexpo.com) But if you want something on the east coast, there are a host of events all over the place east of the ol' Mississippi - all within easy driving range.

No parking and dealing with Union extortion fee's, well... I half thought of bringing out the Atarimuseum exhibit, haven't done it in quite a few years, but I'm not putting up with that BS...

This show is way too corporate, something Ed had said he didn't want, yet it all smells of "screw the hobbyist community" Big boring Intel booth, Boy of boy - Dell ! Great, I always wanted a $3,000 Alienware overhyped laptop and of course, can't wait to check out Sabaru. If you have to haul in all these big companies, why not Activision, Take Two, EA, THQ and some actual Videogame related items, some sneak peaks and previews of games and such. Sorry, but I want Phillyclassic back, not a watered down E3.

Maybe I'll exhibit at Chuck Whitby's East Coast Expo instead.

Curt

Has anyone heard anything about this lately now that it's just about a month away. I was planning on attending but nw I'm not sure.

I've been getting marketing messages from them periodically. A recent one included a floor plan, which I've attached to this message. I have to assume that the red and blue booths are taken and the white ones are still available. No list of vendors, but you can see the names of some of them:

- Subaru

- Underground Gaming

- Moral Kombat

- Comcast

- Dell

- Intel

- Nvidia

- Atari

- ECA

- Arcade (2)

- VGXPO

I was somewhat aghast to see that "Moral Kombat" had a booth, as this is an upcoming movie that has been reviled by the gaming community and industry. I wrote Ed Fleming asking about this and never received a response. That they would sell a booth to them makes me want to stay away, and without a complete list of vendors I don't see much above that would make me interested in going (Subaru?? Comcat? Dell? Intel??) Not a hint of classic gaming there, except for the arcade since they have Videotopia listed on the front page as attending.

3) No on-site parking! This gives me painful reminders of the disaster that was called VGXPO 2005 in Washington DC. Vendors had to rush in and have union members unload thier vehicles (for a fee) and then get out quick;y and find off-street parking (for a fee).

That's fun. :roll:

..Al

New development. The following messages were posted at DP tonight by Dave Kramer. I expected him to have already posted over here too, but it appears he hasn't. I'll cut and paste them here:

Hi everyone, I am Dave Kramer, the manager for VGXPO. Recently, Jenn Johnson and I have started running much of the day-to-day operations for VGXPO. While Ed is still involved with the expo, most of the responsibilities for VGXPO are now in our hands. Ed asked me to make sure that I keep the classic gaming communities on Digital Press and Atari Age up-to-date and so I've just created the account on this website - so please pardon me if I don't know all of the etiquette of this site right off the bat. In addition, I'll make an effort to read through this site at least once a week and provide you with updates on the show as events develop.

In addition to Jenn and I, there are a few others that are involved in running VGXPO. This includes Paul Shaffer and Blake Calelo. So if you've been in contact with any of us, we are all capable of answering your questions or getting a question answered in short order.

In addition to these staff updates, we'd like to let everyone know that this year's show is already a lot bigger then ever before. VGXPO has grown significantly over the past year and we've got a huge amount of content in store for you this year. I've also have one more big news announcement for you ... at the expo this year we are starting a new retro-only event simply called: Retro-Con

Here's the run down on Retro-Con:

With VGXPO coming up shortly we wanted to make sure you knew about the newest addition to this year's expo – Retro-Con!

This year brings so many changes to VGXPO (a new and bigger location, new exhibitors, movie presentations, professional gaming tournaments, the Breaking In conference, the VGXPO College Fair, and so much more) and one of the things we wanted to do was make sure that we never lost sight of VGXPO's roots, the classic gamer. With all of the changes to VGXPO over the past few years we took a hard look at how to best accommodate our growth and the passion of so many of our attendees for classic gaming - the result is the formation of Retro-Con.

Retro-Con is a new event that will happen concurrently with VGXPO and take place in the conference center at the Pennsylvania Convention Center on November 3 and 4. From the larger classic vendors to the Videotopia Arcade - there will still be a significant amount of classic gaming on the VGXPO show floor. However, as we started to grow we noticed that, for some of the smaller vendors, the changes to VGXPO just became to overwhelming for them to participate in the main VGXPO hall.

We want to remedy this and are making Retro-Con look and feel like other classic gaming events and swap meets. To do this, Retro-Con will feature a small, intimate atmosphere and focus on classic gaming vendors. As part of Retro-Con's inauguration admission is free (even without a VGXPO pass) and vendor tables are $75 each.

For those vendors that still want to be part of VGXPO's main floor, single tables are $185. These tables come with table-drapery and a single chair, and put you in the middle of the action of the main hall. In addition we also offer full 10x10 booths. These professional spaces come with pipe and drape, and electricity for $1400, plus we offer additional options that also come with carpeting and bigger floor space.

You might be asking yourself, why the difference in price between the VGXPO main hall and Retro-Con. The truth is, that on the main floor we are charged a rental and union fee for tables and booth decorations. In the conference center, however, the rental costs are less, and our team does not have to pay added fees from the convention center.

We acknowledge that the success of VGXPO, and the future success of Retro-Con, is attributed to all of our wonderful vendors and exhibitors. We thank you so much for your support.

We look forward to seeing you at VGXPO and Retro-Con!

Best,

Dave Kramer

dave@vgxpo.com

VGXPO Event Manager

www.vgxpo.com

And here's post number two, in reply to Len's post (which was also posted in this this thread):

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolenta

1) Ed asked me to make a speech about Ralph Baer's Brown Box. I wrote back to him and said I would be attending but I'm not sure about the speech. I haven't heard from Ed since.

I was BCC'ed on this. I think we've been waiting to hear back from you. It would be fantastic if you could come out and talk about the Brown Box - please email me to discuss.

Quote:

2) The VGXPO site still does not have a list of exhibitors

This may be a mistake on our part, but we're placing logos on the website as they come in. I'll see about making a page.

Quote:

3) No on-site parking! This gives me painful reminders of the disaster that was called VGXPO 2005 in Washington DC. Vendors had to rush in and have union members unload thier vehicles (for a fee) and then get out quick;y and find off-street parking (for a fee).

There are over 1000 parking spots for the convention center on Arch St. and over 3000 spots within walking distance to the convention site. Yes, you may have to pay for a spot, but that's not uncommon in a major city.

There is a lot of space to find parking - in addition, all of the regional rail lines and subway lines run right under the convention center. The convention center is and market east are a major travel hub for the city.

We've also paid for the 'dryage' union costs. No vendor will have to pay to move in our out of the convention hall.

Quote:

4) One thing I thought fuinny was that you could get a discounted room at the Hilton Garden Inn for 'only' $249 a night by using the VGE discount code. If you go to the Hilton website and book a room directly from there without the code it's only $169 a night!

Since we are under contract with the hotel, I've even looked into this and asked them about it. They think you may have found something else, and think you might have been looking at the hotel that is listed Philadelphia / Ft. Washington that rate is about $150 a night. The Hilton Garden Inn in Philly is $299 a night without the discount code. This is a wonderful hotel - it has large LCD screens, awesome beds, and a refrigerator in the room. We have a few rooms left, and most of the folks from the west coast are staying there.

On the other hand, some of the other hotels we were working with are now booked up. One more thing, there are a few other hotels listed on VGXPO's website that are more budget friendly, like the Travelodge and Residence Inn. If you are thinking about staying in the city there are lots of options.

So there you have it. "Retro-con" now, eh? (sigh)

Discuss.

I really wish we (the community) could put together our own Classig Caming (only) Expo / swap meet / etc... I'd be willing to go in on it; basically do the same thing that's being done here but only involve classic games. :(

No disrespect meant to Ed and the VGEXPO, but it just seems like they are getting away from the Classic Games with each year.

Heya. I don't know if you've heard of my convention, Too Many Games (www.toomanygames.com) We are a multi-generational gaming convention, but our roots are FIRMLY planted in classic gaming. I worked originally on the legendary PhillyClassic, and took what I learned there to build my own gaming show. 2008's going to be our 5th year doing events. If you like the casual open air atmosphere of smaller conventions, I urge you to come check us out at our next show in May.

No parking and dealing with Union extortion fee's, well... I half thought of bringing out the Atarimuseum exhibit, haven't done it in quite a few years, but I'm not putting up with that BS...

This show is way too corporate, something Ed had said he didn't want, yet it all smells of "screw the hobbyist community" Big boring Intel booth, Boy of boy - Dell ! Great, I always wanted a $3,000 Alienware overhyped laptop and of course, can't wait to check out Sabaru. If you have to haul in all these big companies, why not Activision, Take Two, EA, THQ and some actual Videogame related items, some sneak peaks and previews of games and such. Sorry, but I want Phillyclassic back, not a watered down E3.

Maybe I'll exhibit at Chuck Whitby's East Coast Expo instead.

Curt

Curt, we would love to host you at our upcoming show in May! If you're more interested in straight out floorspace rather than tables we have EXTREMELY well priced booths areas. 12'x12' for only $120, under a buck a square foot and if you need more space we can definitely accommodate! Drop me a line here or e-mail me if you want to talk a little more!

Curt, calling vgXpo a watered-down E3 is an insult to shows that are a watered-down version of E3.

I really wish we (the community) could put together our own Classig Caming (only) Expo / swap meet / etc... I'd be willing to go in on it; basically do the same thing that's being done here but only involve classic games. :(

No disrespect meant to Ed and the VGEXPO, but it just seems like they are getting away from the Classic Games with each year.

There's the Midwest Gaming Classic, or did you mean just on the east coast?

There's the Midwest Gaming Classic, or did you mean just on the east coast?

I think he meant east coast

Hi guys -

Yes, I did mean the East Coast. I wish I had decided to go to these things sooner, so I would know what the PhillyClassic was like. :(

... I think I need to have another 'Long Island Classic Gaming Night' soon... :)

@ECGXChuck - where are your shows usually held?

Hi guys -

Yes, I did mean the East Coast. I wish I had decided to go to these things sooner, so I would know what the PhillyClassic was like. :(

... I think I need to have another 'Long Island Classic Gaming Night' soon... :)

Yes you do! :)

Allan

Hi guys -

Reading, PA, it's about an hour northwest of Philly. If you're coming in from Long Island it's about a 3 and a half hour drive. You can probably hop a train to Philly then a bus up to Reading, trip may be a little shorter then, time-wise.

We got word from a couple Twin Galaxies judges that they will be there taking high scores. We're specifically planning a Guitar Hero WR competition but they're willing to accept scores for other pre-selected games, and we definitely want to have some classics lined up for that! 8*)

For anyone interested in a peak of the floorplan, our WIP is available at http://www.toomanygames.com/2008/floorplan2.jpg

Edited by ECGXChuck

• 3 weeks later...
Im starting to get a sinking feeling that VGXPO isn't about classic games anymore.

I don't think it ever was meant to be just about classic gaming.

I think people are confusing VGXpo with PhillyClassic. VGX budded from PhillyClassic, it is not PhillyClassic. To the best of my knowledge the name PhillyClassic is once again owned by David Newman (the original founder) and Mark Wolfe (worked on PC5 with David).

I'm really urging people who enjoyed PhillyClassic to check out TooManyGames. We have the same kind of atmosphere that PhillyClassic had, a lot of our vendors are the same vendors who used to do PC, a lot our attendees are the same people who use to come to PC. It's really an enjoyable event and we're only around an hour north of Philly. You can pick up 422 in King of Prussia and it will lead you out almost directly to the convention or just hop on the turnpike.

Edited by ECGXChuck

Okay, here's what I thought about VGXPO:

It's exactly what I thought it was going to be. Basically, it wasn't good, it wasn't bad - somewhere in the middle.

Ed told me two years ago that his vision was to have a show that rivaled E3. While VGXPO wouldn't eactly rival E3, it's on that path. The show was full of exhibits; and only one classic vendor decided to show up. That was good but he didn't fit in with the rest of the exhibit.

Everything could be seen in about a half hour. There was Suburu and Panasonic, and Intel. The problem was that there weren't really any games! Without a presence of at least one of the three console manufacturers having their games to display, it's not really a gaming expo. Even if there were third party companies showing their games, it would be something. But they weren't there either.

The back of the venue was empty and some smaller booths were either empty, or close to it. The girl from Digipen looked lonely and bored. Then there was one booth of a guy selling videogame hot sauce(?) and it wasn't Billy Mitchell.

I missed the Moral Kombat showing but the showdown between Jack Thompson & Lorne Lanning was interesting at times. The trailer for Postal didn't make me run out and want to see the movie.

I saw people having a good there. Again, if Ed could get more console-related companies there, including at least one of the manufacturers, the show might make it a smaller-E3 type venue. But first we have to see how many of the exhibits who were there this year will return.

Edited by rolenta

I was a fan of the Philly Classic and attended one of the VGXPOs (the one attached to the Consumer Electronics show). I decided to skip this year's event based on cost and the poor vendor list. There may have been a lot of big names, but none of said names were companies that made games!

Add to that the fact that it would have cost nearly $50 just to cross the bridge from NJ, park, and pay the admission for myself and my 2 kids... and you can see why I stayed home :(

$15 for adults is a bit steep, but $10 for children is just crazy!

I went to the show and I was a bit disappointed. The only classic gaming vendor there was Collectors Cards and Games, unlike the past two years that had maybe 10 or so vendors like that. The Rock Band tour bus was pretty cool, as well as all the arcade games. I was there for the Mortal Kombat showing and the Jack Thompson vs Lorne Lanning debate and that was good.

The main problem I had was too many new games and nothing there for classic gamers. I give it a 6/10.

I will definitely be going to TOOMANYGAMES in Reading, PA in May. I hear theres a lot more vendors going to be there and I cant wait.